It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says he will award Rush Limbaugh with Medal of Freedom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I had to think about this for a moment. I wasn't sure I liked this at all at first:

Trump says he will award Rush Limbaugh with Medal of Freedom

The Medal of Freedom is bestowed to "individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors," according to the White House.

My initial reaction was "Why?" I didn't like the idea of this national honor being handed out for partisan reasons -- and no one is more partisan than Rush Limbaugh! Nor did I like the idea of it being given out of pity.

But when my husband reminded me that he learned quite a bit about our country, its founding, its laws, etc., from Rush Limbaugh, I realized that Rush has truly provided a "meritorious contribution" to our nation and people. I don't have to agree with Rush' politics, or to like him personally, but I can give Rush credit for educating people about the Constitution and other historical documents, such as the Federalist Papers or Common Sense. And about our history in general.

Rush is indeed quite knowledgeable -- and passionate -- about our history and this grand experiment. Say what you will about Rush, think what you will, there is no doubt that he loves this nation. And he has shared both his love and knowledge without reservation.

In my opinion, Rush has earned the Medal of Freedom.

Somehow, I don't think my sentiments will be universally shared. Indeed, I am expecting that many will need safe spaces when they hear this news!!!

But what do my fellow ATSers think? Good idea? Bad idea? Why or why not?

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I think the medal of freedom is just a silly, feel-good thing. It's totally meaningless.
Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I think the medal of freedom is just a silly, feel-good thing. It's totally meaningless.
Just my opinion.

Yeah, kinda like the Nobel Peace Prize. But I agree with you, for real.

I personally enjoyed listening to Rush on occasion, but he was definitely extremely partisan and extremely divisive. It sucks he has cancer, and my heart goes out to him, and he definitely made an impact on American culture and minds. So... I dunno. Not my decision to make. Not my milk to cry over. It's not like I shake the hand of every merit badge riddled eagle scout that crosses my path. Screw it. Let him have it.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Rush has truly provided a "meritorious contribution" to our nation and people.

I hit this part and I couldn't read any more. I just started laughing too hard. I think you might want the jokes and puns forum. Dunno if this is the right one.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Fair enough I guess. But isn't that true of any and all medals or honors? Would you say the same about the Purple Heart? How about the Nobel Peace Prize?

Are there any awards you feel worthy of bestowing... or perhaps a better way to honor the exceptional acts and deeds of people?

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Hell yea! Give that man a medal!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Fair enough I guess. But isn't that true of any and all medals or honors? Would you say the same about the Purple Heart? How about the Nobel Peace Prize?

Are there any awards you feel worthy of bestowing... or perhaps a better way to honor the exceptional acts and deeds of people?

The thing is, is that nobody who deserves any medal wants it, for the most part. They're just good people. I know people who have thrown away purple heart medals. I've seen people start wars and get peace prizes. I used to have a shelf with trophies and medals and honors and certificates... Long gone. Nobody cares. I don't. You don't. Nobody really cares. I don't even remember what most of them were for... Writing and hockey? I don't know.

ETA: The only reason I even kept the trophies was to hide stuff in. Don't tell me mom.
edit on 4-2-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I personally enjoyed listening to Rush on occasion...

I half-listened to Rush for years, mostly because he was on the same station as Art Bell and I just never turned the radio off though!

...but he was definitely extremely partisan and extremely divisive.

This is one of the reasons I wasn't sure about giving him this medal. I would like to think the "meritorious" service would benefit us all, rather than one party or another.

However, I will give Rush credit as well for not hiding from even the worst criticism or the ugliest scandals to hit his party. He addressed it all head-on, gave folks on both sides the opportunity to have their say, and generally promoted and encouraged national dialogues on many touchy subjects. Just like here on ATS, we don't agree, but between us all, we can examine and discuss an issue or event from all sides.

It sucks he has cancer, and my heart goes out to him, and he definitely made an impact on American culture and minds.

I'm with you there. Good luck and God bless to Rush and his family.
edit on 4-2-2020 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   

How about the Nobel Peace Prize?

Now that's a prize worth having. I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Okay... gotcha.

Enjoy your belly laugh

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

From the last few awarded , you and I may be in the running for one .
Without your qualifier .

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You wouldn't be the first!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

...couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted them the C and the T...

That made me laugh!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I sure hope so.

God Bless and Heal you Mr. L!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Without your qualifier .

We totally deserve it!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Just my opinion.

When you get the 'medal' for your 'totally meaningless' opinion I'll give you a S&F.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

The thing is, is that nobody who deserves any medal wants it, for the most part.

This is so very true. Those who most deserve medals want them the least. They do what they do for their own reasons, and receive their own rewards simply by doing so. I doubt even Rush ever wanted or expected this honor. I'm sure it's come up a few times, but I doubt it's something Rush thought about seriously.

ETA: The only reason I even kept the trophies was to hide stuff in. Don't tell me mom.

Not a peep from me...

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Without your qualifier .

We totally deserve it!

I'm imagining DMX hanging out Nobel Peace Prizes. Just like 25 at a time, screaming "X gonna give it to ya". Thanks. You all did this to be. I'm broken.
🤣

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
HE DID IT!

Thank you President Trump!

GOD BLESS YOU RUSH!

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

For decades he has given conservatives a voice in the media wasteland.

He has educated, made the radio media something to listen to again.

The left won't talk about it, but he has also given millions and millions of dollars to charities.

He also has a larger audience then CNN.

Or MSNBC.

He deserves the honor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join