It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star trek Picard ....is frigging amazing!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: markymint
I'll leave it at that. I notice no-one else here can be arsed to comment on this TV show anymore so that should tell you something...!

BZZZ, stop right there. I'm still watching. I didn't bother to comment on your previous post merely because it sounds like generic try-hard whining to me, honestly. I.E, bitching for the sake of bitching, mountain out of a molehill, etc. Suffice it to say, I disagree with your points of view. Fairly strongly.

Stardust City Rag wasn't anywhere near as estrogen-laden as you claimed to me. It, in part, explored Raffi's broken relationship with her son and how there's nothing salvageable there. Quite the throwback to that episode with Riker and his dad not patching up well, with equal bitterness.
The big shock of the episode was killing Icheb (which was shocking, really, done out the gate) Seven had an understandable and rightful desire for murderous retribution. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could see that. Even I wanted the asshat dead ASAP.

I thought the overall dress-up theme of Stardust City Rag was fairly Trek, TBH. What with all the Chaotica episodes in Voyager (loved 'em) or the Shakespeare play nods in episodes in TNG. For me, the cringey episodes with that kind of dress-up deviation from the norm were the spy holo-novel episodes in DS9. They were still good, but didn't have much reason to exist other than doing something different for the cast, and just felt awkward in general. So did most episodes with Vic, HE was a pretty awkward spin on holo-novels.
SCR had a real storyline reason for the attire, the accents, the ploys. When in Rome with a bone to pick, play the part well. And they did.

I'm of the opinion that based on older previews of the season, Agnes had a Vulcan brain scramble -- I mean manipulating mind meld -- from Oh when they spoke, and her personality is in a blender right now for a reason yet to be understood (it's all assumptions until otherwise noted) including the knocking boots part in The Impossible Box. In a previous preview, there were hands reaching out to her in the meld manner, and the shot was the same, so it makes sense. She's someone's unaware planted bitch at the moment. Her killing Maddox on Manchurian Candidate Autopilot makes it quite clear whatever is going on in the shadows is not going to do well when it comes to light. Her ramble while he was dying seems to indicate a strong want/need to continue with obfuscation by any means necessary, and killing him was a means to an end for someone.

The Impossible Box did a good job of showing what TNG completely sucked at save for the episode, Family-- showing Picard's ongoing PTSD battle from being assimilated. That did a good job of also showing how there's something to come back from when so mangled and violated (with the medical treatments and cosmetic regenerations shown) It didn't shy away from making it clear they're (Free Borg) distrusted pariahs, either.

I will say out of the whole episode, the one sentence that made me smirk unapologetically was knowing the Sikarians were assimilated. Those were the folks dicking with Voyager about the space portals to very distant worlds (Alastria, etc) The Sikarians just wanted entertained, they were bored and screw whoever dropped in. Yeah, they earned the hardware. So it was a bit pleasing to see the Borg utilized their portal tech for an emergency Out for the queen's chamber.

I'm just going to enjoy the remaining episodes, and probably not "review" them further. It's just going to start a fight if I do.

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Well IMO , Picard is NO William SHATNER .......................)

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It's sort of alright. After the horrorshows of the new BSG, Star Trek Discovery and the Orville, anything looks "amazing". My ratings for my favorite Sci-Fi shows:

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis (me: 9; IMDB: 8.4 and 8.1 respectively)
Babylon 5 (8.5; IMDB: 8.3)
DS9 (8, has more filler episodes compared to B5; IMDB: 7.9)
Picard (7; IMDB: 7.5)
Stargate Universe (6.7; IMDB: 7.6)
The Expanse (6.6, if it weren't for a couple of things that bug me I would rate it higher, among which is my inability to understand Avasarala, the Indian actress, her angry or swearing scenes are also cringeworthy; IMDB: 8.5)
The Mandalorian (6.5, I'm not sure I like the setting of a lone wolf with little potential for interstellar politics, war and massive space battles akin to Stargate, B5 and DS9. Production quality is top notch though, very stylish; IMDB: 8.7)
Firefly and Space: Above and Beyond (6.5 - 7, both a bit too short; IMDB: 9 and 7.7 respectively, Firefly is so overrated because of the cultfans)
TNG (6.4; IMDB: 8.6!!! so overrated compared to DS9)
Voyager and Enterprise (6; IMDB: 7.8 and 7.5 respectively. Enterprise has a nice story arc in the latter seasons, Voyager has some cool episodes with the Borg and species 8472)
The old BSG (5.9, better than the new one; IMDB: 7.1)
Farscape, Red Dwarf (5.5; IMDB: 8.3 and 8.4)
The shows listed below are for comparison but are not my favorites, I have watched them though:
ST Discovery and the Orville (4; IMDB: 7.3 and 8.0)
Dark Matter (3, it's a bit cheap in comparison with the new BSG, if only they had had the same budget though, who knows; IMDB: 7.5)
Andromeda (2)
The new BSG (1, I could barely stomach this lazily written, convoluted and forcefitted soap/drama/nonsense show on which way too much money was spent for HQ effects; IMDB: 8.7, hereby nominated as the most overrated Sci-Fi show ever and biggest waste of money for a show that could have been done so much better)

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Nyiah
The Cardassians were more true to life enemies (IMO).

What were those things that looked like toupees? Those were the scariest.

originally posted by: Nyiah

Mm, Tribbles. I hear they're good if cooked right, and send Klingons angrily running for the hills screaming obscenities. Something about a war against the toupees.

Ah, that brings back memories of Quark with a tribble on his head:

Funny, when it comes to DS9, I can quickly list my favorite characters, Garak, Quark, Odo, Dukat, Kira, Weyoun, Winn, General Martok, Gowron, Cretak (the Romulan assigned to DS9 after the Romulans join the war), Zekkie, "Brunt, FCA":

but when it comes to Star Trek Discovery (which I just re-watched so it should be fresh in my memory) I can't think of any character that I like, what comes to mind first is a list of most annoying characters:

Michael
Michael
Michael
The Doctor (Hugh?)
Ash Tyler
L'Rell
Georgiou

Maybe the show can be saved if they'd kill of Michael. Fat chance, the show might as well be called:

The Many Annoying Dramatic Facial Expressions of Michael Burnham: A Space-Time Saga for Chicks (who want to feel like a bad-ass in leather and kick the asses of men twice their size, including battle-hardened Klingons and vastly superior cybernetically enhanced enemies (or nanobot-enhanced), because simply shooting them is never an option until after the martial arts fight, we always need the same fight scenes first; if Michael isn't available to play the heroin superwoman then pick the old Georgiou for an even more unrealistic nonsensical fightscene).

OK, that title became a bit long and dragged out, then again, so is every moment (especially the force-fitted drama) in this show.

Star Trek Picard has the Romulan chick for those leathery fight-scenes. Tal Shiar training or not, it's still cringeworthy. Give me Kira as the "Strong Woman" (South Park) character any day. She really pulls it off right, with some fire in her belly (and eyes) and a cool resistance background story and no ridiculous fights. Just good old-fashioned survival skills and real passion and determination.

Samantha Carter (Stargate SG-1) pulls it off quite well as well:

edit on 17-10-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join