It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star trek Picard ....is frigging amazing!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   
so the first episode of the new star trek just dropped and it is frigging glorious

number one is adorable even rivals jon wicks doggo for adorableness

Pattrick Stewart still has it and seeing him reprise his role as Picard has be feeling like a kid again ,seeing how he conveys emotion and the sense of loss over what has happened since we saw him last on the big screen and tv even got a few nerd tears out of me

his monolouge in the first episode even rivals some of his best from the 7 seasons of next gen and even his speech from first contact

we see a few familer faces as well,some who i thought i would immediately hate but then they did something to make some one i hated from the first moments we saw him in next gen(trying to keep it spoiler free) and then you saw he really did care more then we thought he did and actually had a small redemption arc that sadly lead to disastrous consequences.

not all who come back are hated as it starts off with visions/holodeck of data and the profound loss Picard feels at loosing him and the deep PTSD he felt over his loss and his failure to save Romulus

this is not the old star trek next gen (see the shady media lady) but it is at the same time but this is not the federation we saw in the next gen or even the darker DS9

it seems to be hitting some modern issues with out coming across as forced

but for those with cbs all access/ or have the channel via amazon prime etc i highly recommend checking it out new episodes drop weekly vs all the
show at once

for those that didnt like the new star wars movies but liked the mandalorian this is the exact situation but for star trek and those that did not like discovery or the new reboot movies

sorry for semi scatter brained post but im still fan boying pretty hard

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   
and if any one wants to get some next gen context for whats going on id recommend watching the next gen episodes "measure of a man" as its key as well as "offspring", star trek insurrection (the movie) and knowing what caused the new star trek movies to branch of plot wise (hobus super nova) edit to add also the short trek children of mars that sets of events talked about in the first episode
edit on 23-1-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

just give me the short version of SJW crap they crammed in there so I can decide if I wanna watch it.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

not too much so far actually just a bit more diverse then the next gen and ds9 ,a reporter that will remind some one of a "fox news reporter" that will have some screaming "fake news" least per the star trek subreddit,and some may take some umbridge with the semi darker theme and by star trek standards much more violence ,and so far pretty heavy themes of PTSD

and unlike star wars rey "mary sue" is not too bad as in context well its more like cara dune from the mandalorian if that makes sense? (rey being a scavanger turned chosen one vs cara dune a rebel drop trooper veteran of 10 years )

waaaay more violent but in a good way

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   

A black female ass kicking Vulcan with a male name Micheal...was a show stopper for me. I doubt it gets better as we move further.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

yeah so far not like disco least not yet its been rumored the 4th season of disco may tie into the 2nd or 3rd of Picard but nothing confirmed yet other then they both got new seasons,picard before s1 even aired

lol not sure what ethnicity the romulens we see are but compared to disco (SJW level 8) this is like a 1 or a two so far

i did like or at least was able to get through 2 seasons of discovery but that had more to do with anison mount then anything else and michel yeoh

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Best. Nerdgasm. Of. My. Life.

I never lacked any faith here, Patrick Stewart has been very hands-on behind the scenes to keep it in line with his own high Trek standards (I assume this level of involvement is what took up so much negotiating time before he signed on)

Still, despite being already rigidly positive it would be excellent out the gate, I was still amazed at the quality more than I expected to be. For a premiere/pilot, it's flawless. This is the kind of thing that sets the tone for the whole run, when they're this well done. Throwing BSG reboot fans a bone here -- STP's premiere's tone is kind of like how the BSG pre-series movie set the whole tone for that series.

Spoiler Alert:
One thing that I'm liking a hell of a lot is Picard's Romulan employees -- it's not that they act human, it's that there's finally a depiction of them (outside of the Reunificationist underground Reunification 1 & 2) that isn't conniving, sneaky and backstabby. Don't get me wrong, Romulans are my favorite Trek enemy for exactly that reason, but the whole damn race can't act like their RSE Navy and Tal Shiar brethren. So for me, the softer, more approachable Romulan civilians feels like there's finally a solidified depiction balance.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

just a theory but i think what ever is going on in the cube is not exactly sanctioned by what is left of the Romulen government and that this may be what is left of the tal shiar reclaiming Romulen drones from the disabled borg cube kind of how 7 got de-borgified by janeway if that makes sense

the only other some what mistifying thing is if you payed attention in Next gen data and lore were not the only androids even if you count Lahal or how ever its spelled there was the character who was basically Datas "mother" who for all intents and purposes was a replication of humanity that data never got to even with his emotion chip, she could cry ,emote and appeared to be well human BUT w only Captain Picard and data knowing who/what she really is she may still be out in the universe somewhere despite the ban

and if you had told me maddox would ever redeem him self after what happened in measure of a man id have laughed tell i saw this episode

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Can't wait to watch this, when I found out it was coming and saw the trailer, I got quite emotional, sad I know but love JLP!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   

RE: "number one is adorable"

I always found number one to be irritating. Not my favorite casting for a Star Trek role.

edit on 23-1-2020 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:34 AM
link   
No story spoilers below, but mentions of some general scenes:

It was quite nice, but I will see how it pans out. Can it stand on its own merits? Not something I think can really be discerned from one episode of 2 planned seasons. So "Frigging amazing" is not how I'd describe it myself, that end scene was particularly cringe and the "nicer" bits were the member-berry moments for me, and they themselves are a very neutral point (dead weight) in storytelling. The main theme/title sequence was disappointingly uninspired. Not a tune anyone will remember or whistle to themselves, more like a meandering rendition of Somersby soundtrack than Star Trek lol. The graphics sequence reminded me of the original Spiderman intros, not space.

"It was frigging amazing!"

Some pretty meagre CGI in there too, but probably only to the trained eye. I did some motion tracking recently, not very well, and it looks similar to my efforts in a couple of places lol. But that is personal nitpicking, for the most part, absolutely fine CGI. Some story beats a bit odd, like her visiting Picard in France and running away in the morning (back to Boston?), only to be told to go back to him which she does immediately (in San Francisco)...all within the space of about 1 minute. WTF? No reason given why she ran away in the first place she even says she knows she should have stayed. Maybe I missed something. Cringe level necklace stroking which is so precious to her she leaves it behind.

But to its credit a nice performance by Stewart, San Francisco looks great, the unravel of the story in episode 1 was handled well. The opening scene was charming. I think Agnes has potential to be a good character, any levity she brings will likely be a bit more natural than the others, IMO. And Brent Spiner ofc, need I say more. I'm not blown away but will definitely keep watching, as this is clearly a story you have to see in full over multiple episodes/seasons - it's not contained to a story per episode to judge.

The pertinent question is, Do I want more TNG? or Do I want a story about Picard? This is the latter, though I think that's well established by now. Wondering what the next "tale" in TNG was/would be I think held a bit more weight episode to episode for me personally. But sure, I want to see Picard's story. There is his iconic outlook on duty and honour in there, and I will accept your TNG member-berries without hesitation. But honestly when it comes to raw excitement I think I'm more "excited" about the next episode of Air Crash Investigation.

SJW: Episode 1 is light on this and there's no blatant sign of any "Trump + Brexit" thing that floated around. Yet! The first person to die is a black guy so that's the old school sci-fi movie rule book at play, not the modern SJW one
Yeah, if it's SJW stuff that worries you, you can watch this episode without any real fuss. The girl is OP within story bounds (you'll need to watch to understand why it's acceptable lol) and the world in ep 1 is positively heterosexual... But I would describe it as a lack of woke/SJW stuff over say, anti-SJW or pro-SJW. Which is a good thing, it's telling a story and that's about it (so far, so good).

PS. No sign of the flute...

Spoiler free version of the Star Trek Picard theme, just add one solo melody from TNG in the last 3 seconds

edit on 23-1-2020 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   

TNG will always be my Number one. I'm looking Ten Forward to seeing this movie and despite the critics & Data analyzing, I think that crying Worf is an absolute waste of time. I could never get Borg of watching Star Trek.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Just watched it...... It really was frickin awesome!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
RE: "number one is adorable"

I always found number one to be irritating. Not my favorite casting for a Star Trek role.

Did you watch it? That's his dog's name.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I want to watch it, I want to like it, but I can't shake the feeling it will be a SJW progressive crapfest that will destroy the ability to watch the show.

Just caught up on Evil, and the last episode I watched was yet again a SJW blast saying hospitals kill black people. The show would be so much better if they didn't keep forcing racist angles non stop with white people out to kill black people for no reason.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You know with The Mandalorian, The Witcher it really makes my pick - ard...... Lol laughing at my own joke.... Terrible I know

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Have to admit I have been pessimistic about it but will probably see it nonetheless. TNG was always the best (IMO) even though DS9 was REALLY good (in it's own way) and Voyager had it's moments.

EDIT- I'd be careful about liking it too much though. The people who have been making the big decisions behind Trek since the end of TNG have made A TON of terrible decisions and they seem completely incapable of doing anything right. I mean, let's face it. TNG could have kept going for at least 3-4 more seasons. There was no reason whatsoever to end it when they did other than they had other ideas (which all turned out pretty terrible with the possible exception of DS9). So they got ONE REALLY good TNG movie (First Contact) and one OKish one (Generations wasn't as bad as everything after First Contact was). Voyager was just OK but I could have done without it.

Brent Spiner was never really happy with being typecast as Data from "Star Trek" and probably had more than a hand in the decision to kill the character in the last film. Really I never thought the cast members were all that good at making major decisions either. They're really good actors (and some of them are great directors) but I'm in no way convinced Stewart will pull this off.

edit on 23-1-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
just watched.
it was surprisingly great.

and NO, not too much S J W crap.

i was worried patric stewart would be too old to play Picard. boy was i wrong.
i was worried the 'you need to change it 20%' rule would be jarring. did not notice. (except no theme song! ugggh.)

picard, again awesome.
the cinematography, awesome.
the set and production designs, awesome.
the 'dream' concepts awesome, because that played a big part in the next generation!

i cannot wait to see picard go thru one storyline over what is it, 8 or 10 episodes?

damn tho, one sentence to wrap up my thoughts on the episode-
GET OUT OF DODGE!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

i liked how they can all have regular haircuts now!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
One thing that I'm liking a hell of a lot is Picard's Romulan employees -- it's not that they act human, it's that there's finally a depiction of them (outside of the Reunificationist underground Reunification 1 & 2) that isn't conniving, sneaky and backstabby. Don't get me wrong, Romulans are my favorite Trek enemy for exactly that reason, but the whole damn race can't act like their RSE Navy and Tal Shiar brethren. So for me, the softer, more approachable Romulan civilians feels like there's finally a solidified depiction balance.

The Cardassians were more true to life enemies (IMO).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join