It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil Asset Forfeitures (theft) continue. DEA seizes man's life savings at airport.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Family Sues DEA and TSA After Elderly Man's Life Savings Were Seized at Airport.

Apparently, she was supposed to open a joint account with her father but didnt get time prior to her flight so decided she would do it once she landed.

America, wake up.

Wake up from your coma.

How, when, why did we simply allow our public servants (tyrants) and bureaucrats to essentially do whatever they want.

"Flying with any amount of cash is completely legal, but once again we see government agents treating American citizens like criminals," Institute for Justice senior attorney Dan Alban said in a press release.

"You don't forfeit your constitutional rights when you try to board an airplane. It is time for TSA and federal law enforcement to stop seizing cash from travelers simply because the government considers certain amounts of cash 'suspicious.'"

I dont care if they are "criminals".

Our government has essentially criminalized everything.

You're a criminal, whether you know it or not.

A 2017 report by the Justice Department Inspector General found that the DEA seized more than $4 billion in cash from people suspected of drug activity over the previous decade, but $3.2 billion of those seizures were never connected to any criminal charges.

Really really REALLY need to get rid of these unconstitutional alphabet agencies.

Like most of our government, they have no constitutional authority to exist.

The majority of seizures occurred in airports, train stations, and bus terminals, where the DEA regularly snoops on travel records and maintains a network of travel industry employees who act as confidential informants.

The irony in all of this, besides the obvious, is that there are departments within our government which operate in complete secrecy.

Meanwhile, the CITIZEN is required by our public tyrants to essentially disclose every aspect of his or her life, especially his financial life.

edit on 17-1-2020 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Keep voting demonrat and keep seeing this type of stuff hapoen.

a reply to: gladtobehere

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
www.flypittsburgh.com...

www.tsa.gov...

Looking for the limit of cash that's permitted without alerting LEO's. They also check prescription medications too.
I worked at Pittsburgh International Airport ( retired ARFF ) . Not a Leo.

As a tip..
Get a FBI check background check and bypass the long lines. ( still TSA but they care more about weapons at the employee security checkpoint )
There is a finite amount of cash you can carry up to a taxable amount. It's bs I know but call ahead and declare it.
edit on 17-1-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
www.flypittsburgh.com...

www.tsa.gov...

Looking for the limit of cash that's permitted without alerting LEO's. They also check prescription medications too.

As a tip..
Get a FBI check background check and bypass the long lines. ( still TSA but they care more about weapons at the employee security checkpoint )
There is a finite amount of cash you can carry up to a taxable amount. It's bs I know but call ahead and declare it.

The scary part is they don't have an amount. Some have had cash taken as low as $2000.00. This woman had $82,373.00 .

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Its to make more jobs in the security business, we need more jobs he will get his money back after a while and that will create more avenues for lawyers and cops to make more money, he will probably get compensation so all is well.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

www.flypittsburgh.com...

www.tsa.gov...

As a tip..

The scary part is they don't have an amount. Some have had cash taken as low as $2000.00. This woman had $82,373.00 .

Yea it's frustrating not knowing the amount. I've taken $1500.00 in cash to Puerto Rico in an envelope in my small carry on. But it wasn't a problem. I've had the background check... but I had my airport I.D. , so perhaps it was professional curtousy. There have been arrest made in the employee security checkpoint, but it was due to weapons being found and also illegal drugs being sniffed out by k-9's.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Ahem, didn’t the Supreme Court undo frivolous civil asset forfeiture last year?

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMcLovin

ITS NOT DEMOCRATS NOR REPUBLICANS!! It’s about the USA CONSTITUTION!! Stop spinning this into something other than what it really is!!!

It will take BOTH sides to make this stop!!

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

www.flypittsburgh.com...

www.tsa.gov...

As a tip..

THX YOU FRIEND-!! 😁👍

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   

www.flypittsburgh.com...

www.tsa.gov...

As a tip..

$82,373.00........how is this even possible with COLD CASH!! you can not get anything bigger than $100.00 bills from any bank that I know of....personally I think this is a crockpot full of crock!!

I tried to get $14,000.00 in $1,000.00 bills from a national bank and they flat out denied me, gave me some line about “federal blah blah blah” 🙄

anyone that has this much, explain to us that live paycheck to paycheck, how this was possible in the USA?

That’s $100,000.00 😳👍
edit on 17-1-2020 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
There are so many unknown laws, every one reading this could be arrested for something they're doing, or have done.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Y'know, I really hope this lawsuit goes through and this woman gets her fathers savings back, but there is another thing that bugs me about this. The article claims that she looked it up on a government site that it's legal to carry large amounts of cash, but I wonder how much research she actually did. There's no way you could google "traveling with large sorts of cash" and not see plenty of articles talking about how people keep getting their cash stolen by the police, there's just no way.

www.google.com...

I know I'm being an asshole here, but there's even an article from 2015 talking about a man losing $75k to the TSA and the thought-process they used to take it from him:

“The fact of the matter is that there are laws that deal with reporting cash that’s over $10,000 and there are also laws that deal with reporting it to the IRS,” Stone said. “So the theory is when someone is carrying this much cash you’re trying to evade those laws.”

wtkr.com...

Like I said, I really do hope she wins this lawsuit and gets her fathers savings returned to him, from the sounds of it in the article he really needs it, but I also can't help but feel like she could have prevented this. The fact that he's stored that much cash over the years will definitely give them reason to use what I stated above as their excuse, and as much as I hate to say it, technically they're not wrong. The reason people stash cash like that is because they don't trust banks and don't want the government knowing how much they have. Completely understandable, but they'll use it against them. -_-
edit on 17-1-2020 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
They will get the money back but let's be honest. The percentage of people that put over $82K in a tupperware bowl and then decide to hop on a plane with it is a VERY UNIQUE situation. Why not just put it in a bank and access the money from anywhere on the planet? I can't answer that question but, I'm certain anyone feeble minded absolutely could present a reason their mind deems valid.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMcLovin

Dumbest comment so far, this is not a D vs R problem
edit on 17-1-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
That’s some BS. I’ve heard a few horror stories about civil forfeiture, it’s not right. It’s beyond me how these departments get away with it. They’re basically saying your guilty until you prove otherwise. I know Tennessee is bad also, they collected 86 million between 2009-2014. Policing for profit is pitiful overreach.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   
So the police can kill you, take your money, destroy your home..etc

You guys are so free it hurts

I hope they get their money back.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Drugs for everyone!!

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is true...Cash has the metal strip & if you are driving down the highway
a cop behind you can see how much cash you are carrying with you due to the strip?

If this is the case then the airport would also know? Can you not put the cash in a RFID
wallet or container so it cannot be read? Thanks.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo

www.flypittsburgh.com...

www.tsa.gov...

As a tip..

$82,373.00........how is this even possible with COLD CASH!! you can not get anything bigger than $100.00 bills from any bank that I know of....personally I think this is a crockpot full of crock!!

I tried to get $14,000.00 in $1,000.00 bills from a national bank and they flat out denied me, gave me some line about “federal blah blah blah” 🙄

anyone that has this much, explain to us that live paycheck to paycheck, how this was possible in the USA?

That’s $100,000.00 😳👍

I'm going to go right ahead and assume you've never really owned anything of value.

a grand in 50$ bills isn't that thick. take a stack of ones and measure out of you can

you could put a hundred grand in a fanny pack and it wouldn't even look out of place...

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Even if it's deposited in a bank they still have to fill out paperwork declaring how the money was obtained. Believe it's several forms and the authorities would be notified.

Why did they try to circumvent this process I do not know but regardless, either on the ground or in the air, money in that amount must be declared. Can't travel around with that much cash through ports of entry without going through some formal process.

They could have declared it before the flight, filled out the paperwork and it likely would have been fine. The reason this is done is because, believe it or not, we have a serious problem with money laundering on a global scale.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join