It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Human error’: Tehran admits to shooting down Ukrainian plane by mistake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I for one never expected someone to actually take blame for this.

I'm impressed that Iran came forward

I'm impressed that they didn't blame the US

I'm impressed that we, the US actually said it was likely an accident

I'm impressed that the we didn't do the deed to blame on Iran for furthering pressure for war

I'm impressed that both sides treated this correctly....

Did the planet suddenly align just right with the universe for a moment and no one told me? Is it possible that there is honestly some hope left? Just when I thought we were all out and the monkey in the wicker boat was heading down stream with a poo poo paddle...

It's a Christmas miracle!

Sorry all... I really got surprised on this one. Totally did not expect this....

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Kudos for pointing all that out.

All very good points.

Reactions were more of a surprise as the fault of this tragedy.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
You are impressed with their initial school yard taunt: "If you think we shot that airplane down you have to prove it". What does this say about a nation that seems to be controlled by a bunch of fanatical religiously indoctrinated 10 year olds?

edit on 10-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here, let me stir the pot.
"If Trump had not started it this tragedy would have never happened! It's HIS fault!!!!!
*Retreats to safespace to reeeeeeeeee in its warm embrace*

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   
well zaph was right again like usual i think he had said some of the Iranian air defenses were automated but i may be getting confused on that , either way some people are gonna either spend a long time in jail or get lined up and shot over this in iran as contrition

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   

seriously this kind of wins the thread every one is slowly like backing away and being like we cool? and they took blame for it so serious unbiased props to iran on that front most nations would not be so open to doing so even with evidence that it was them and they say they are gonna prosecute the guilty? hell the only way this gets "more friendly" is if iran offers reparations or something

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

All very good points.

I honestly couldn't rule out US involvement. I know the things we've done in the past for the sake of war and to push others to get involved in that war. I was seriously expecting this to be a misdirection issue but I couldn't judge it so. Definitely wouldn't have ruled it out. It wouldn't have surprised me.

I'm just taken back that both sides seemed to metaphorically bow their heads over this. Maybe they genuinely felt horrible for this. Gives more substance to people in those positions. Maybe they actually have a soul. I always hated the fact that the world felt so black and white.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Their first act of war is downing a civilian jet?
Yeah... they deserve no sympathy.
Drone some more of their leaders, clearly leadership is lacking anyway...
edit on 10-1-2020 by GreenGunther because: My first response was a tad harsh

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The Dems and Leftists will still blame Trump.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

All very good points.

I honestly couldn't rule out US involvement. I know the things we've done in the past for the sake of war and to push others to get involved in that war. I was seriously expecting this to be a misdirection issue but I couldn't judge it so. Definitely wouldn't have ruled it out. It wouldn't have surprised me.

I'm just taken back that both sides seemed to metaphorically bow their heads over this. Maybe they genuinely felt horrible for this. Gives more substance to people in those positions. Maybe they actually have a soul. I always hated the fact that the world felt so black and white.

So , in your fantasy world , Iran would have spoken up and stated that they accidentally shot a commercial airline down ?
And the Iranian government is covering up for the US ?

edit on 1/11/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

I'm impressed that they didn't blame the US

2 hours ago:

Iranian Foreign Minister blames US......

twitter

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

edit on 11-1-2020 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

Donald Trump's formalized response.
edit on 11-1-2020 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:39 AM
link   
This should be a wake up call to anyone who thinks taking military action should ever be anything but an absolute last resort. As history has shown us, it always results in the 'accidental' death of Innocent civilians.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Iran blunders, but only when they realize their lying about how it happened wasn't believed by the entire world for different valid reasons forces them into an admission of their crime.

This sounds like Iran's leadership.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Ukraine - Siberian flight 1812
USA - Iran flight 655
Russia - Korean flight 007
Italy - Itavia flight 870
Rhodesian rebels - Rhodesia flights 825, 827
Israel - Libyan Arab flight 114
Bulgaria - el al flight 402
China - Cathay pacific VR-HEU

Not a complete list, there’s been plenty of precedent for this kind of thing and we don’t know if it was an accident 100%. There’s a lot of big names on that list, 4 nuclear powers.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
ra reply to: shawmanfromny

roflmao

im still wtf haha

Yeah, because the killing of innocent people is hilarious huh
edit on 11/1/20 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing
"Human Error" translates to MORONS given charge of deadly weaponry.

You mean like with the US Navy in this case?

Iran Air Flight 655 was a scheduled passenger flight from Tehran to Dubai via Bandar Abbas that was shot down on 3 July 1988 by an SM-2MR surface-to-air missile fired from USS Vincennes, a guided-missile cruiser of the United States Navy. The aircraft, an Airbus A300, was destroyed and all 290 people on board were killed.[1] The jet was hit while flying over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf, shortly after departing Bandar Abbas International Airport, the flight's stopover location.

Iran Air Flight 655

Its obvious that you, and the majority of posters in this thread have NO IDEA of actual history, and would just prefer to gloat and spout bull# instead.

Maybe if people read some history, and learned from it, they could understand the current BS situation in the middle east.

edit on 11/1/20 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to kingparrot

Do not include the Rhodesian Viscounts that were shot down deliberately in your "accidental" list.

The survivors of flight 825 were subsequently murdered by the same people that fired the missile.

Air Rhodesia Flight 825

Soon after Flight 825 took off, a group of ZIPRA guerrillas hit it on its starboard wing with a Soviet-made Strela-2 surface-to-air infrared homing missile, critically damaging the aircraft and forcing an emergency landing. An attempted belly landing in a cotton field just west of Karoi was foiled by a ditch, which caused the plane to cartwheel and break up. Of the 52 passengers and four crew, 38 died in the crash; the insurgents then approached the wreckage, rounded up the 10 survivors they could see and massacred them with automatic gunfire. Three passengers survived by hiding in the surrounding bush, while a further five lived because they had gone to look for water before the guerrillas arrived.

All passengers on flight 827 were killed in the crash.

edit on 11/1/2020 by deltaalphanovember because: reply to

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Kudos to Iran for showing more maturity than some of the world's "superpowers." It took the US eight years and a court battle in the ICC before they even compensated the families of the victims of Iran Air Flight 655. To this day they still deny legal liability.

Meanwhile, Russia is still trying to blame the downing of MH17 on Ukraine.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Flight 655, and things with Iran are never simple. And I think it was just proven Iran will blatantly lie.

Is it false flight 655 had a transponder broadcasting on a channel that should only be from military aircraft?

Airbus Says Iran Air Jetliner Equipped with Two Transponders With AM-Airliner Rdp, Bjt

apnews.com...

Howard said at the Pentagon that the Iranian aircraft was broadcasting over a radio transmitter known as Identify Friend or Foe ″in two modes. It was squawking on Mode-3, which is ... a common identifier for both military and civilian aircraft, used in air traffic control.″

″It was also sending signals on a military mode, Mode-2. And the signals that ... the Vincennes was receiving from that aircraft, were signals that we had previously identified or associated with an F-14 ... No commercial airliners use Mode-2.″

Iran probably fired two missiles at a civilian jetliner that just took off from an Iranian airport that was probably still in contact with the control tower.
edit on 11-1-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

<< 1    3  4 >>

join