It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US town inundated with 50,000-strong murder of crows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

A US town has declared war on crows after an invasion that has been compared to scenes from Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 thriller The Birds

Springfield, Ohio has been swamped by a murder of crows up to 50,000 strong causing safety fears and potential health hazards.

Residents said the birds were not aggressive like n the Hitchcock classic but their sheer numbers were ovewhelming as they perched on trees, buildings and awnings.

Shops and restaurants have deployed noise machines emitting the sounds of crows in distress, or predatory animals. The first place to put in a noise machine was the public library.

They have also been using laser pointers in an effort to drive the flocks away.

50,000 crows?!
a few are no problem but a mass like that can certainly have an impact.

crows traditionally avoid metro areas but the open dumpsters and nighttime heat apparently appeal to them.

any strange bird action for anyone else?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wow.. it’s obvious that certain species need culling in certain areas every so often. Anyone from PETA who has problems with this needs to experience how out of hand it can get.
edit on 7-1-2020 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
Wow.. it’s obvious that certain species need culling in certain areas every so often. Anyone from PETA who has problems with this needs to experience how out of hand it can get.

My town is trying to cull some deer over population and the libs here are flipping out over it. They can't seem to understand that there aren't any predators and deer over population can become a health and safety hazard. They think a bunch of redneck hunters are going to be slaughtering Bambi with AR-15s. It is kind of hilarious...

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

suburban deer are a problem
lovely to look at but awful in traffic
and yes they tend to populate with enthusiasm.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Interesting...Springfield is an utter, crime ridden cesspool. Maybe the crows are keen on meth?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
a reply to: Edumakated

suburban deer are a problem
lovely to look at but awful in traffic
and yes they tend to populate with enthusiasm.
Suburban deer make excellent white bean chili

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

50,000 thats a lot of crows, we have had problems with turkey buzzards in late winter early spring. They roost on houses and crap everywhere, drove our border collie bug #, but never in those numbers. That's like the movie the Birds

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
My hometown in CNY has had as many if not more for 20+ years. They blow off fireworks every night to try and scare them away. All that does is cause them to poop everywhere. We were even the subject of a national geographic documentary....if you look close enough, you can see me stumble out of a bar at 5pm bc of layoffs that day.

At what I call crow:30, the sky goes black with them. And dang, they are smart birds.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Ummm...yes...YES...

Lets cull a species that might just be more intelligent than you are...cause...convenience...

SMEffingH...Kirk was right...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Proof that crows are smarter than most people.

It would be interesting to know what it's all about though.

Must be an agricultural town to feed all those crappies...

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
My hometown in CNY has had as many if not more for 20+ years. They blow off fireworks every night to try and scare them away. All that does is cause them to poop everywhere. We were even the subject of a national geographic documentary....if you look close enough, you can see me stumble out of a bar at 5pm bc of layoffs that day.

At what I call crow:30, the sky goes black with them. And dang, they are smart birds.

Ummm...cool...so your from Watertown...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

We were even the subject of a national geographic documentary....if you look close enough, you can see me stumble out of a bar at 5pm bc of layoffs that day.

πŸ˜‚.. too funny .. sorry about the lay off though πŸ˜•

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
nvm

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Soon the crows will inherit the earth as dominant species.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...yes...YES...

Lets cull a species that might just be more intelligent than you are...cause...convenience...

SMEffingH...Kirk was right...

YouSir

How about we send them all to your land considering you love their intelligence and see no reason to cull.

If they aren’t culled it will get like the movie birds in some places and those birds will get big ( I think πŸ€”).. but what do I know.. certainly not as much as crows.πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Soon the crows will inherit the earth as dominant species.

πŸ˜‚.. you never know.. but first there would be huge bird wars to establish dominance.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The emus already defeated humans in Australia. Might be a wild bird war between land bird and flying bird.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You can't kill, whoops,I mean cull them. You'll make them extinct. The species if flourishing and needs to be rejoiced by the conservationists. Shout out loudly "man made global warming is not killing the crows".

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

We have about 200-300 crows that nest behind our house. They can get rowdy but we've got used to it.

The coolest thing I've seen was when I was looking out of one of our upstairs windows. About 80 of them were stood in a perfect circle, all facing in. In the middle was one crow and a magpie.

They all goaded them on in a fight for about 3 minutes. The crow clearly won, they all stood still for about 30 seconds after then dispersed.

The geometry struck me the most, it was a perfect fighting ring.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

a murder of crows up to 50,000

Thats a new one on me

Never heard that description before, a murder of crows

I am definitely dropping that into a conversation soon

edit on 7/1/20 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join