It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

82nd airborne put on alert for deployment. One battalion in route to Kuwait .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:30 AM
link   

The U.S. Army’s 82nd Airborne Division’s alert brigade has been issued orders to deploy rapidly to Kuwait following an attack on the American embassy in Baghdad by a pro-Iranian mob.

82nd airborne put on alert for deployment. One battalion in route to Kuwait .

750 paratroopers of the 82nd airborne division are in route to Kuwait. The remaining 3250 of the rapid deployment brigade is on a 96 hour alert window for possible deployment.

So far Trump has authorized one battalion from the brigade for insertion. The 82nd airborne can be ready to deploy within 18 hours of the presidents order. They also have enough punch to force entry into a combat situation.

Things are picking up even more . If the 75th rangers regiment get’s notified for rapid deployment. All bets are off.

You don’t need that many troops to protect an embassy.

If all 4000 are deployed something bigger is up . Last I heard the 30th armored combat brigade was poking around in Syria.

We’ll have to wait for Zap just show up to find out if there’s any mechanized units in Kuwait .
edit on 1-1-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm guessing the Israeli Air Force is ramping up special air help... with their modified. F 35's
edit on 1-1-2020 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

In the 70's the Iranian military rushed to help Israel....what a world
edit on 1-1-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

It's also far too few for anything significant. Anything major will see somewhere closer to 100,000 troops or more, and weeks to build up.

APS-5 is in Kuwait and Qatar. It's one of the largest APS units currently out there.
edit on 1/1/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was under no illusions it could be used as an invasion force .

I was thinking more of a strike force. Since the OP I’ve discounted any ground movement into Iraq .

But combined with a 22nd Marine expeditionary unit on station in the Persian Gulf .

Farsi Island would be one hell of a don’t f*** with us statement .

I highly doubt that will happen, I was just thinking out loud .

I was hoping you chime in. I’m sure the 82nd is pretty lightly armed. But do you know what type of weapon systems they are issued ?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the report...

I wonder if the plan is to hit the Iranian leaders....remove the head from the snake and then watch chaos reign with a few paid provocateurs..

I do not think Trump will order an invasion with all the tech available to hit Iran hard...no reason...push a button from far away and watch the leadership disappear.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:44 AM
link   

The full 82nd Airborne is broken into three Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) that consist of three infantry regiments, a cavalry regiment, an armor regiment, and an artillery regiment, as well as engineers and support. They have an organic aviation unit that consists of AH-64s, UH-60s, and CH-47s. They're fairly lightly armed compared to other units, but they're pretty flexible.

Most likely they'll join up with equipment from APS-5 once they arrive in Kuwait. That saves a good bit of time getting their equipment to the area, which could take weeks all told.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I’m sure the 82nd is pretty lightly armed. But do you know what type of weapon systems they are issued ?

They have light vehicles and antitank missile launchers. They can handle mobs and irregulars but would be mismatched against an enemy with armored forces.

However. Any Ira[qn]i attempt to use armored forces would draw a response from the USAF.

It gets problematic. Look back at the mess in Kosovo. The Serbs had heavy armor but knew the tanks would draw airstrikes ... so they parked them in barns and such to keep them out of sight. Sometimes, the obvious counter to an enemy capability isn't straightforward to employ.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:06 AM
link   
750 troopers is not a small unit. That's more than enough battle hardened conpanies to hold down a pretty sizeable foot print! Even if some of that acts as logistical and only 500 are on security that's about 300-400 on guard daily not counting who's out on firewatch sleep. That's a good god damn few city blocks or a fair few square miles of control. Wonder what their mission will be...and if this will be a final knock on Iran's door to cut it out or face the ire.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   
When Iwakuni troops go mobile, then yes, things are for real.
Not sure if any of you here are on active duty.
But I'll let you know if the action picks up here.
It's pretty intense .
Not much celebration going on at camp .

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:21 AM
link   
www.marinecorpstimes.com... k/
100 U.S. Marines, two Apache helicopters reinforcing embassy in Baghdad after attack

A detachment of 100 Marines is deploying to Iraq to reinforce security at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad after Iraqi protesters supportive of an Iran-backed Shiite militia attempted to storm the compound, U.S. Central Command said Tuesday.

All U.S. personnel are secure and there are no plans to evacuate the embassy, the State Department told Military Times in a Tuesday email.

The State Department added that the U.S. ambassador for Iraq, Matt Tueller, is returning to the embassy from previously scheduled personal travel.

The Marines were requested by the U.S. State Department and their deployment was approved by Iraqi Security Forces, Central Command spokesman Mike Lawhorn told Military Times by phone Tuesday. Two Apache attack helicopters are providing over watch.

Like someone else said in another opinion piece...This ain't gonna be another Benghazi... And IMO it will not be like when Iran took over the American Embassy in Iran and held the hostages during Jimmy Carter's reign as POTUS...

Now step back and from what I have read (right or wrong as I do not know for sure) the majority in Iraq are Shiite (Iran's flavor of Islam) but the government is Sunni... what could ever go wrong with that ?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Iwakuni troops are all ready to go
This #tlll is for real
Trump aint fkn around

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   

an armor regiment

They’ve got tank drivers ?

Or is it embedded ?

I thought all the 82nd had was secondhand LAVs

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:40 AM
link   

It's embedded. They have the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Squadrons of the 73rd Cavalry Regiment attached. They operate the LAV-25 light armored vehicle. They're still considered armored even though they're light armor and only have a 25mm.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   

They operate the LAV-25 light armored vehicle.

Makes sense an airborne division needs something air deliverable . I imagine they can mount TOW missiles ?

The Marines seemed to be fond of them .

But then those guys could probably kill a tank with a Spork . Lol

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
APS-5 is in Kuwait and Qatar. It's one of the largest APS units currently out there.

What's an APS?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Iwakuni troops are all ready to go
This #tlll is for real
Trump aint fkn around

My impression of this President is ... he doesn't kill people wantonly. This is a good thing for everybody.

The USA has been at war for an awfully long time. We need a break ... or we need to break the spines of the provocateurs.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: Zaphod58

What's an APS?

It's an activity that deals with pre-positioned war-fighting equipment. They've basically got everything ready to go for combat. Just hand the keys to the driver and point them in the direction of the enemy.

Lots of 4-Star General interest in these things. Think "Lord of War". They're worth bazillions of dollars.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Al Jazeera are covering the embassy situation more than other news channels.
Of course they have their own bias,but they have mentioned things I have not seen on other channels-

Today they are reporting that the protestors/rioters have been told by their leaders to leave the embassy,however trucks have been seen arriving full of food and matresses to supply the protestors-suggesting the crowds are digging in for a long stand off.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

As Deplorable said, vehicles and equipment needed to fight a war. It stands for Army Prepositioned Stocks. It takes months to move enough equipment into an area to fight a war. You can't airlift it fast enough, so it has to go by sea. If you have months it's not a big deal. But if, say during the invasion of Kuwait, Iraq hadn't stopped, we would have had nothing available to use against them. Under APS we have equipment kept in combat ready status so all the troops have to do is climb in and go.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Thanks to both.

For people not used to these things all those acronyms only make things more confusing than they already are.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join