It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well that was actually really good!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Lunch time rolls around and I'm out of bread. Crap, no sammich for me. What to do? Hmmmm...let's think outside the box.

Well, after staring in the pantry for a moment I had:

- Some ramen noodles
- Some assorted tins of sardines....the light bulb goes on

Boiled up some water, put the ramen noodles in (sans the seasoning packet). Rehydrated the noodles for a couple minutes, and strained out the noodles with a strainer. Then I dumped the noodles in a bowl and dumped in a tin of King Oscar wild caught Mediterranean Style Sardines (with evoo, herbs de provence, red pepper, black olives and garlic), oil and all (basically the whole can). Tossed it up a couple times, and topped it off with some grated parmigiana.

Delicious lunch!! Surprisingly good actually.

At first I was kind of worried about the ramen noodles being rice noodles, but then I remembered over in Asia they eat sardines over rice all the time, so I thought what the heck and went for it.

And talk about EASY! It doesn't get any easier than that!

Now, I'm sure someone probably already thought of this, but I thought it was pretty darn good in a pinch.

Bon Apetit'!

edit on 12/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Tuna, with mac & cheese, cracked pepper, maybe some sweet peas (folded in last) for a green veggie.
Wifey likes velveta shells best...

ganjoa
edit on 2019-12-8 by ganjoa because: punk-2-way-shu

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Cheese with Fish?

Mio Dio! What would Nonna say?

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You been watching "Chopped?" Very creative but smells-fishy.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That is really good. I told somebody I made sardines and ramen and was told that I should be banned from cooking.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I can’t eat sardines any more, but I used take sardines out of the can and dipped them in beaten eggs, rolled them in cracker crumbs and fried them in oil. They aren’t bad that way.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
Cheese with Fish?
Mio Dio! What would Nonna say?

Parmigiano is always an enhancer. My family in Bologna eats fruits with Pecorino too.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Totino's pizza with pulpo (octopuss,) anchovies, and a liberal shot of Louisianna hot sauce.
Food of the Gawds.
Wash it down with a fine malt liquor.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Sardines with rammen noodles....urp, I will finish this when I get back from the bathroom.

Ok, I really didn't go puke. I do like kipper Herring way more than sardines, but I do not think that I would even like those with noodles.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Sardines with rammen noodles....urp, I will finish this when I get back from the bathroom.

Ok, I really didn't go puke. I do like kipper Herring way more than sardines, but I do not think that I would even like those with noodles.

Just a note about US ‘sardines’ the majority of them are herring. If I want sardines that are really sardines, I would get Norwegian or other European brands. I liked the US herring types just as well (they have a thicker body), but I can’t eat herring any more either.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I noticed I get gout like symptomes off of kippered snacks or sardines. I get some from eating pickled herring sometimes too. I like pickled herring so it is worth suffering with it. Kippered snacks also make my nose run if I eat too much of them.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Floridadreamin

I watch chopped fairly often, but this isn't one I've seen.

Sardines with noodles is a fairly common Scandanavian dish, as well as a Mediterranean dish, so nothing particularly new there. Pairing it with the ramen noodles for something like a lunch is just an easy little hack witch doesn't have you cooking noodles or spending a lot of prep time. (BTW...you know ramen noodles are already cooked, unlike pasta, right?)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

Okay, but "fine" and "malt liquor" never belong in the same sentence...unless it's an arrest report!

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Sorry to upset your sensitive palate.

You probably shouldn't plan on visiting Scandanavian countries anytime soon. My OP is tame in comparison!

BTW...Kippers are great blended with cream cheese for a dip on toasted rye bread or crackers. (green onions too, of course)

edit on 12/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Just so you know, I get gout too, and it SUCKS!!! Smoked fish seems to bring it on, but there are ways to help.

First, I cut out beer. Obviously, I'm not cutting out red meat, but I eat smoked fish in moderation and it seems okay.

Gout is a crippling affliction, no doubt. Some people don't have to worry about it...but I do.

So, like always...all things in moderation.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yes, "Sardine" is a generic term anymore. There is no fish called a "Sardine". They can be any number of species, and you are correct in suggesting the country of origin generally identifies the fish.

In Asia a 'Sardine' is a minnow they caught with a cast-net in the sewage treatment pond alongside the river, down stream of the nuclear reactor and plastics chemical factory. Yummy stuff!...(not).

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ha, I love pickled herring too, but I gave everything up that was on the bad list. No gout since I switched up my diet in June.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Just so you know, I get gout too, and it SUCKS!!! Smoked fish seems to bring it on, but there are ways to help.

First, I cut out beer. Obviously, I'm not cutting out red meat, but I eat smoked fish in moderation and it seems okay.

Gout is a crippling affliction, no doubt. Some people don't have to worry about it...but I do.

So, like always...all things in moderation.

Gouty arthritis (as diagnosed) came to me in '79, came and went for a couple of decades while I was 300+# & then pretty much quit when the real bone problems (back surgery) started.

EXCEPT...

At this time of year when the champagne flows in the morning mimosas while whisky|brandy milk punch provides an after-repast dessert drink (or ends up in the coffee)
and BIG MEAT blesses meal times with succulent excess purines swimming in the broth or gravy to end up in my ankle or big toe. Usually between Christmas and New Years.

ganjoa
edit on 2019-12-8 by ganjoa because: 4got 2sine

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
Totino's pizza with pulpo (octopuss,) anchovies, and a liberal shot of Louisianna hot sauce.
Food of the Gawds.
Wash it down with a fine malt liquor.

As I read this thread and type this comment, I’m eating an experiment I made: Totino’s party Pizza with Hormel’s No Bean Chili on top... It’s pretty good... Interesting... Tastes like a cross between pizza and chili... Pretty messy.

edit on 12/8/2019 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   

You made an “ad hoc” puntanesca sauce!!

Normally it is olive oil, sardines, garlic and tomatoes (real thing, not from a can) then seasoning.

The fact that you used sardines is crucial. @ALL, sardines are good tasting! Just don’t dumb a ton on your food (it ain’t cheese!!)

FCD, we have a Farmer’s Market where pickled garlic is now one of my favorite things!! Weird how necessity drives experimentation in cooking!!

Some say that is where the fancy French cooking originated!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join