It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: 4 dead after police pursuit ends in gunfire in Miramar after armed robbe

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I thought Liquesence's question about using civilians as cover being a training option was an honest question, actually.

So regarding that, what exactly is the training there? Is it ok to hide behind civilians' cars or vans and shoot at suspects, like was done in this incident? Or to be more accurate I suppose, in what corcumstance does training teach that it's acceptable to fire at and into, from multiple angles, a vehicle containing suspects when the vehicle is surrounded on all sides by bystander vehicles? Another question, and this is an honest question from me (as is the prior), are ploice trained to avoid or to NOT fire at suspects when there are innocent bystanders on all sides? I'm assuming the answer is yes, they are trained to not do that, but they did it here, so training must have some other contingencies built in.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

As of right now, it’s being reported that the suspects fired at law enforcement in three separate instances . First at the jewelry store after the armed robbery, secondly during the pursuit, and thirdly when officers began to approach the stopped truck. With that in mind, we can look at your questions.

Is it ok to hide behind civilians' cars or vans and shoot at suspects, like was done in this incident?

Yes, it is. Is it okay to hide behind occupied vehicles? It’s a pretty bad idea. Video shows other officers standing in the open. Great, but now there’s civilians behind them and presumably the suspects shooting at officers aren’t worried about the civilians behind the officers. Video also shows other officers trying to tell people to move out of the way and taking cover behind police vehicles. That would be the ideal method.

acceptable to fire at and into, from multiple angles, a vehicle containing suspects when the vehicle is surrounded on all sides by bystander vehicles?

At what angle should they have returned fire from? As you said, the vehicle was surrounded by civilians. Which means whatever direction the suspects are shooting, there are civilians in the line of fire.

are ploice trained to avoid or to NOT fire at suspects when there are innocent bystanders on all sides?

Shootouts don’t typically happen in ideal circumstances, to include no civilians around with great backstops on all sides to stop stray rounds. Your backstop is a consideration in a shooting but it is not the consideration in a shooting. The threat to the officers and public at large is the driving consideration.

There is any number of things that I don’t think were good decisions during this encounter. If it turns out that LE rounds killed a civilian then I’m entirely on board with holding that, or those, officers accountable. I don’t think they will be.
edit on 9-12-2019 by Shamrock6 because: Fixed link

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018, let them do their job.

this is 'doing their job'? astonishing.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

wow you sound like quite the bootlicker.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

Epic rebuttal, brah.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5

wow you sound like quite the bootlicker.

He is a cop, a pretty fair one it seems, his perspective is needed in these threads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join