It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned gravy is evil!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The roux makes it thick...
Easy squeezy cheap and easy..

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

You gonna go there? I'm good with it.

I got judged for what I ate all while growing up because I didn't eat that stuff because it tasted like crap. So I was a picky eater.

Nevermind that I eat all sorts of stuff and that label was a frickin' lie I was saddled with for 18 years until I could feed myself. So let's please do talk about judging folks for what they will and won't eat.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You gonna go there? I'm good with it.

I got judged for what I ate all while growing up because I didn't eat that stuff because it tasted like crap. So I was a picky eater.

Nevermind that I eat all sorts of stuff and that label was a frickin' lie I was saddled with for 18 years until I could feed myself. So let's please do talk about judging folks for what they will and won't eat.

I’m sorry you experienced such a negative experience with food as a child. I am not judging you for what you ate and didn’t eat, then, or now... so let’s not make this about you. It’s about judgement on a can of gravy... period.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

It's all in good fun, this thread, but being military, with a wife and two kids on our pay?

We didn't have much chance for cordon bleu-style meals.

Our thanksgivings were always nice though.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's all in good fun, this thread,

Oh it might be made to appear as a joke... but it is not all in good fun. It is judgmental and perhaps people who do used canned gravy were offended... which is exactly what the OP intended to do. You call that good fun ?

oh well.. carry on with your good fun 🙄

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Wait till you hear my opinion of store bought pumpkin pies that have been sitting un refrigerated on a shelf for over a week..

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I get that some people make do also, but again money-wise, a lot of the convenience food works out more expensive. We've learned that the hard way ourselves. The hard part is the cooking. If you don't know how, then it turns out wrong. Plus a lot of people have palettes attuned to the high fat, salt, sugar in that stuff, so home food doesn't taste right.

But I also take extreme exception to someone jumping all over a fun rant about food to judge the people in it for their tastes and then claiming they aren't being equally judgmental in their own virtue-signalling way.

Sick of that crap, and my shoulder hurts so my normal easy going manner is gone. You type everything left handed after PT and tell me magnanimous you tend to be.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Fair enough.

I've been rich and I've been poor.

As long as the Bears win tomorrow, it'll all be good.

Take care of your shoulder ma'am.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I can't crap on people if they have a better palate or can cook better or can do things I can't do.

*shrugs*

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Don't worry.. The Bears suck less than the lions..

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I knew about those little envelopes with the brown powder in it to make gravy and I had even seen gravy in jars but I didnt even know it came in cans.

My Mama had me at the stove when I had to stand on a chair to reach.
Gravy is made on the stove top from the drippings from the bird.

And I already made the stock for the gravy from the turkey neck this afternoon.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

But I also take extreme exception to someone jumping all over a fun rant about food to judge the people in it for their tastes and then claiming they aren't being equally judgmental in their own virtue-signalling way.

First off .. it’s not a fun rant.. that’s deceptive. Second.. I’m not judging people for their tastes.. you and the OP can eat whatever you want.. the OP can make whatever type of gravy he loves from scratch.. I’m not judging that ! I just take extreme exception to food snobs and people who judge others for having a can of gravy in their cart.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I can't crap on people if they have a better palate or can cook better or can do things I can't do.

*shrugs*

I’m not crapping on them for what they eat or how they choose to prepare it...I just detest how they crap on others !!! End of story.
edit on 27-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: underwerks

I knew about those little envelopes with the brown powder in it to make gravy and I had even seen gravy in jars but I didnt even know it came in cans.

My Mama had me at the stove when I had to stand on a chair to reach.
Gravy is made on the stove top from the drippings from the bird.

And I already made the stock for the gravy from the turkey neck this afternoon.

You had a good mama...

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I grew up on the canned stuff.
The jelly not the whole berry and it did indeed have to come out of the can whole to be sliced on a pretty crystal jelly dish.
That is tradition.
When I was first married I wanted to show off and made cranberry sauce from raw berries and orange marmalade. It was good but it was not received well by the masses who wanted the shiny canned shimmering jelly.
And it does taste so good.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Thank you.
I passed on the tradition with my own kids.
They all cook.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Thought the Bears were decent this year? I haven't watched much more than the Chiefs games.

Even my folks who hated to cook never did the jarred or canned gravy or flake taters. They just didn't most of the time. If we were having it, they made it, but they weren't going to bother most of the time.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Haven't watched much football tbh, been too busy.

But when I get up at 4, start prepping the bird, mixing a fine bloody mary, I'll be ready!

Football (for us on the west coast) starts @ 9 in the morning!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I guess the ska-plop noise could become a tradition but eating it?..blah

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

My dad has a recipe he got from his mother that she got from a WWII Navy wives' cookbook that has grapes and nuts and I don't know what all else in it for cranberry. The family prefers it to traditional, so if I want the real stuff, I have to make it.

Oddly enough. dad's side of the family did the canned cranberry even with that recipe while mom's side did traditional. Now, that recipe has moved over to mom's side through dad, but no one does the can.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join