It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good morning. Taninim Long here.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Not quite. The concept of bioregionalism is actually a rather recent idea of introducing political systems based on Bioregions.

The idea, first proposed by Cascadia, proposes that States should be based on regional ecology (which is very relevant to proper resources management), regional history and regional cultures, rather than being the subject of a blind globalised power.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TaninimLong

You lost me at "bioregionalism"

I am looking forward to read posts from you. I think i could learn something.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Not quite. The concept of bioregionalism is actually a rather recent idea of introducing political systems based on Bioregions.

An interesting concept, yet challenging to implement politically. By this I mean bioregions can be large. Think of Papua south of the Owen Stanley mountains. A bioregion ... but also home to a bunch of different tribes who by no means are united culturally.

So what does bioregionalism do in a case like that?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Bioregionalism is actually meant to exactly address the issue you point out - the issue of not being able to deal with local needs. It is not meant for relatively small areas, such as Papua New Guinea. Rather, it was designed for very large continental territory cases.

For instance, let's take Canada as an example. Currently, one city, Ottawa, decides policies for an area as large as the whole of Eurpoe. As a result, we have a lot of local cultures and local Native tribes that are very unhappy with Ottawa right now. In the case of Canada, bioregionalism proposes the breakdown of sovereign power into smaller, more local units, units that are more familiar with the local environmental resources and local cultural movements they are supposed to lead.

edit on 21-11-2019 by TaninimLong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

It sounds like what you are describing is more local government and more focus on local issues.

There are those who expect rising energy costs to drive such an outcome. The thinking is that large and complex political entities like Canada and the USA will no longer be effectively manageable at a certain point because of rising costs.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Precisely.

However this is an introduction thread, and so I feel any further conversation about that topic would be better addressed on a dedicated thread.

It's good to meet you!

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Cheers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join