It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is the best pet cat or dog?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Now I got to give you that.

Maine coon cats are awesome i’d forgotten all about them .

They have so much personality they look like they’re nuts .

A friend once said “ Maine coon cats think they’re dogs “ .

I’ve got to agree with that .

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Dogs bark, cats are quiet.

I used to think cats were quiet too...until I got a Siamese (my current cat). Oh...my...God! He is loud and loves to talk. Lol

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: Fallingdown

My Savannah/African Serval mix, is a damn great cat.
If you want dog like behaviour in a feline, get a F1-F3 Savannah
And they're huge.
This is when he was 4 months. He’s almost doubled in size, as he’s just over 5 months now.

Still waiting for vids of that beauty.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Maine coons are just gorgeous and huge!

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: violet

Dogs bark, cats are quiet.

I used to think cats were quiet too...until I got a Siamese (my current cat). Oh...my...God! He is loud and loves to talk. Lol

Yes. I've had 4 at once. They have their own language. They will teach you if you pay attention. My male Siamese could play Hearts. He would always touch the correct card to play. Seriously. Never underestimate a Siamese.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

And the best pets in the entire world. They will latch on to just one person and from that point on they will be at that person's side.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Dog person here...

No matter how fudged up your day may have been, nothing puts a smile on your face when you get home and see your best friend wagging his tail excited to see you.

Dogs love you unconditionally.

I've had cats like that.

We had a long-haired white cat with a bob tail named Fritz. He was so attached to my husband that he learned what our old beater car sounded like, and I always knew that Teikiatsu was about to get home because Fritz would detect the car coming blocks off and be at the door waiting and all over him as soon as he stepped through the door, greeting him and wagging that ridiculous bob tail of his.

I love animals in general, but being mildly allergic to fur beasts I prefer cats. They tend to give you some space where a dog sits slavishly all over half the day. Most cats are content to simply be in the room near you. If you watch, they will tend to follow you from place to place in the house, and they will tend to get upset if you shut them out from where you are even if they appear to be disinterested in you once you let them in. They orbit around your space.

For someone who tends to get puffy eyes from dander, I like that about them over dogs.

There's also something about a lap full of warm, purring cat. Dogs can fill your lap too, but to get a dog worth the name, you're looking at needing the super sized lap to fit the animal.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I prefer dogs to cats.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well, right now, I have a perfect boxer.
And a devil cat, and a devil puppy.
The cat chooses to bite my calf every morning. I don't know if that means goodmorning, or your welcome I didn't kill you in your sleep, because I couldn't get the bedroom door open.

The puppy bites all the time, but he seems to think that means he loves me, and doesn't understand why I get mad.

I still prefer dogs over cats.
Hell, even our barn cat is more loving than the house cat.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Depends mostly on your lifestyle.

We always had Terrier Breeds, so unless something was going on you'd forget they were around.
The Lab/Rottie mix?
Total approval junkie and attention whore. Quiet tho, have to give her that!

And...the cats.
Were all raised with the dogs, so tend to be more dog-like.
They fetch, one has issues with people in uniforms. So will go bat-snip-crazy if another human is in the yard.
Got 2 mousers out of the bunch with the common courtesy to leave the body's where I won't step on them.
One's mission in life is to be a hairy alarm clock.
3AM daily.

Not sure why he's still alive? It's been 9 years of 3 the "blankety" of dawn. Even the other cats give this one side-eye.

Cats CAN be trained, you just have to be consistent.
A dog is "get the thing! get the thing!"
A cat you have to make it "fun".

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Have a 20lber...Guard Cat....I trained him exactly like I trained all of my Canines...he learned faster stays focused longer is much more quiet and is fully committed when he attacks....he obeys hand /body language/verbal/sound commands....sits fetches does daily Patrols....didn't make a single meow till he was several years old and it wasn't a meow it was the word "no"....his first verbalisation was to say "no"....lol.... he understands English so well that when he is in a demanding mood and begins to signal me with his body language and goes into an attention/seated position BUT HE HAS GONE TO THE TREAT WELL TO MANY TIMES OR HAS ALREASDY BEEN BRUSHED OR WALKED OR WHATEVER HIS DESIRE IS....he is extremely stubborn and will continue to ask for a long time...UNTIL....I SAY THE WORD "TENTIONS" TO HIM ASKING HIM IF HE WANTS SOME...THEN HE IMMEDIATLY FINDS MORE INTERESTING THINGS TO DO AND BUGS OUT.....LOL..."TENTIONS" MEANS HUGS AND LOVE AND LAP SITTING....AND HE HATES UNSOLICITED LOVE AND ATTENTION SO MUCH HE HAS LEARNED TO RUN FROM IT....lol...lol...lol...COONS ARE SO COOL.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Wow 4 Siamese cats!

My Siamese makes me laugh. Sometimes we will meow back and forth for a while and I have no idea what we're talking about. If he knows you're talking about him or he is walking away, but you ask him something, he will turn around and look at you. The tone of his meow gets quiet and it's like he's saying 'huh?' or 'what?' Sometimes it sounds like he is saying no or Ma. Comical, beautiful, loving kitty.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

I always wanted a Maine coon!
HA, yours hates unsolicited love and attention and my Siamese loves it.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Another great reason to own a dog .

When you blame it on them they don’t care .

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I have in all my life hoped and prayed to give a home to a savannah.

They are epic companions.
edit on 11/19/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

LOL......if you even get a huggy look on your face or put your hands out in a hugging motion he gets all ANTSY AND FINDS THINGS TO DO...AND WHEN YOU DO HOLD HIM HE MELTS TO BUTTER....HE JUST LETS ALL OF HIS MUSCLES GO LAX AND HE TURNS TO jELLO…..YOU WILL GET ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM HIM HE DOESNT WISH TO DEED YOU.....LOL...LOL.

I have had quite a few dogs over he year and not a single one even approaches the raw intelligence my current cat has...no CAT has ever come close to this one....however he is the first Cat I ever intentionally isolated from other Cats for his first few years....he was weaned and never heard a single meow nor made one for several years...even then it wasn't a meow...he was trying language.

Truly a gift.Saved from the clutches of the Vets deadly needle.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

It also helps with training cats if you find a behavior they're already inclined to. For example, we've taught quite a few of ours to "stand" over the years. It gets especially easy if they like catnip, and one enterprising cat watched the others stand for catnip and figured it all out by herself. Cats learn by watching others.

The only one who never learned the trick was the one who hated catnip.

And fetching is sort of an inborn thing. Some naturally do it and others won't because I've had cats fetch without dogs around, and oddly enough, all my fetchers prefer going up or down stairs to fetch too. The real trick with the fetching is getting them to bring it to you. Most of mine bring it most of the way back and then drop it to come sit on your feet and beg for you to go get it and throw it again.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

Have a 20lber...Guard Cat....I trained him exactly like I trained all of my Canines...he learned faster stays focused longer is much more quiet and is fully committed when he attacks....he obeys hand /body language/verbal/sound commands....sits fetches does daily Patrols....didn't make a single meow till he was several years old and it wasn't a meow it was the word "no"....his first verbalisation was to say "no"....lol.... he understands English so well that when he is in a demanding mood and begins to signal me with his body language and goes into an attention/seated position BUT HE HAS GONE TO THE TREAT WELL TO MANY TIMES OR HAS ALREASDY BEEN BRUSHED OR WALKED OR WHATEVER HIS DESIRE IS....he is extremely stubborn and will continue to ask for a long time...UNTIL....I SAY THE WORD "TENTIONS" TO HIM ASKING HIM IF HE WANTS SOME...THEN HE IMMEDIATLY FINDS MORE INTERESTING THINGS TO DO AND BUGS OUT.....LOL..."TENTIONS" MEANS HUGS AND LOVE AND LAP SITTING....AND HE HATES UNSOLICITED LOVE AND ATTENTION SO MUCH HE HAS LEARNED TO RUN FROM IT....lol...lol...lol...COONS ARE SO COOL.

A friend's Maine Coon took down a burgler. The latter was found behind the couch, with the Maine Coon on top of him, leather jacket shredded, and screaming, "get him off me! get him off me!" No joke.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Can't walk a cat on a leash,I do have a pet stroller for my cat.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trucker1
I'd take the squirrels 10 to 1 over the cats

Stupid squirrels!!!!! I didn't get a single apple this year and I have eight apple trees in my backyard. And it's because of the squirrels who take a bite off one and then waste the rest of it to get another one. The squirrel population has boomed of late in my neighborhood. I'm going to start issuing squirrel hunting permits.

I will say this about squirrels, though. About 10 years back, there was a squirrel that lived in my backyard and he was so friendly he'd let me get close enough so that I could touch him. One time he was eating an ear of corn on a limb that was the height of my eyes. He dropped his corn and I picked it up an handed it back to him. He didn't flinch and went right back to eating as if nothing had happened. He was pretty laid back.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join