It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unopened can of beer found in Diablo Canyon Nuke Plant in Cali

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This kind of made me chuckle a bit this morning. I was reviewing the NRC reports of nuclear incidents for this month and noticed this.

www.nrc.gov...

Facility: DIABLO CANYON
Region: 4 State: CA

Notification Date: 10/12/2019
Notification Time: 15:54 [ET]
Event Date: 10/12/2019
Event Time: 08:55 [PDT]

FITNESS-FOR-DUTY REPORT - UNOPENED CAN OF BEER FOUND INSIDE PROTECTED AREA

One unopened can of beer was discovered in a break room refrigerator within the plant's Protected Area. The individual that brought in the can of beer was identified. That individual is a Pacific Gas and Electric employee but does not normally work at Diablo Canyon. That individual was brought in to support work during the Unit 2 refueling outage. When questioned, the individual stated that the can of beer had been brought in to give to another person to see if that person liked that brand of beer (the beer was apparently from a small specialty brewery). A behavioral observation was performed on the individual who brought in the can of beer. There was no indication of alcohol use by the individual. The individual's access to the plant has been suspended pending further investigation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------/

I will add to this that the nuclear power plant discussed in this report is located in the service area shut down recently for some unknown reason. I'm sure it is not related but the idea struck me what if they shut down the grid because they found an unopened beer in a restricted area? Just my peculiar sense of humor.

edit on 10/14/2019 by machineintelligence because: entry error

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Unopened can of bear found in Diablo Canyon Nuke Plant in Cali

Cans of BEAR can be very dangerous. It’s the teeth.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Homer!!

Doh!

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Someone was irradiating it. It would probably only take one to do the job.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

One unopened can of beer was discovered in a break room refrigerator within the plant's Protected Area.

Along with the tuna noodle salad, thought to have been stolen, weeks prior.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I woudn't drink that if I were them.

Especially if it's glowing.

Seriously, though, this just indicates what I have been saying about the NRC: they are serious about nuclear safety! It takes next to nothing to shut a plant down indefinitely, and I consider that good thing. Even though I am a proponent of nuclear power, I also understand the risks associated with it. We need someone as ruthless as the NRC to make sure everyone toes the line.

Fukushima could never happen here with this kind of oversight. The Japanese should take note, assuming they ever try to build another nuclear plant.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I remember grabbing a Pepsi for my lunch and heading off to work.
When I opened my lunchbox I pulled out a blue can of Busch light..oops...
"Don't laugh, I was young and broke"...

Anyway I took a beer to work...
This story sounds completely plausible to me.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

originally posted by: machineintelligence

One unopened can of beer was discovered in a break room refrigerator within the plant's Protected Area.

Along with the tuna noodle salad, thought to have been stolen, weeks prior.

Microwaving fish, especially a dish with canned tuna in a break room that coworkers share is far more of a violation than alcohol IMO.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It's hard for me to judge what people do after waking and getting ready for work. Sometimes even after my shower I can still be a little wonky.

Hell, last month I got dressed... I typically keep my shoes downstairs and the house has mostly hard wood floors. Well, still sleepy and with fresh socks on, I planted my first foot down at the top of the steps, and it clearly wasn't having anything to do with planting... So up in the air it went, and down the whole flight I went. Got the wind knocked out of me, roughed up pretty good... And I fought back throwing up for about 30 minutes on the drive in.

Boss thought it was funny though, so there's that.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

One unopened can of beer was discovered in a break room refrigerator within the plant's Protected Area. The individual that brought in the can of beer was identified. That individual is a Pacific Gas and Electric employee but does not normally work at Diablo Canyon. That individual was brought in to support work during the Unit 2 refueling outage. When questioned, the individual stated that the can of beer had been brought in to give to another person to see if that person liked that brand of beer (the beer was apparently from a small specialty brewery). A behavioral observation was performed on the individual who brought in the can of beer. There was no indication of alcohol use by the individual. The individual's access to the plant has been suspended pending further investigation.

It sounds like someone has too much time on their hands or seriously needs a hobby or some retraining in what they should report on...lol.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That's not exactly a fair statement on Fukushima which occurred due to an act of nature and not due to compliance or regulatory lapses. An earthquake or even a serious flooding event from a bad hurricane could have a nuclear facility here in the same situation.

Yes, I agree that the NRA regulations are tough and provide a large measure of safety and that yes many preventive regulations will help prevent such disasters within the US, but they only protect against normal operating conditions, certainly take into account worse case scenarios but sometimes nature can be totally unpredictable and brutal.

Fukushima in the aftermath has been a catastrophic disaster but again not a result of entirely negligent behavior. Natures conditions prevented the plans established to provide protective action, as in the tsunami wiped out so much. The ensuing actions taken largely mirrored the Chernobyl incident, it was unknown how to proceed as it was not a forecasted event. Some actions taken have been due to cover ups and incompetent behavior but very doubtful as a result of no regulatory process.

Three Mile Island still occured under the same regulatory processes in place today, although I am sure we have made changes as we learned from the incidents inside and outside the US. There is a global regulatory agency that provides guidance and oversight but nature can usurp their authority rather quickly

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I was PRP for 20 years...the stuff i have seen. Not I though. I was good. Honestly.

And i swear i never found funny cigarettes under the blast door of a minuteman silo.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

And i swear i never found funny cigarettes under the blast door of a minuteman silo.

Usually I'd say it's easy to find something when you're the one who put it there, but funny cigs can kind of make you second guess where you put _________.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I was thinking something similar. They must take any intoxication most serious because it's nuclear but what about drinking before work? If the drinker was as good at it as I am, they'd only have enough to feel it but not display signs of intoxication nor smell of it on their breath, knowing how to take care of that potential problem before heading to work.

That guy would never accidently or intentionally launch a nuke granted, but if it's zero tolerance, the only logical solution is to administer a breathalyzer test on every employee when they arrive to clock in. They get regular drug tests already I'm sure, why would that be so hard? There's an alcohol metabolite urine test that can detect if someone has had a drink in the past 72hrs also and it's offered by the same labs that do standard drug testing.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It got windy up in Montana so....there is that.

It was the Nam era guys....werent no such thing as drug testing prior to 87...allegedly.

a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Microwaving fish, especially a dish with canned tuna in a break room that coworkers share is far more of a violation than alcohol IMO.

100%

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

The older I get, the more I try to be open minded to food. Of course I have preferences, but I'll eat about anything. When I was younger, I got tired of feeling like a dick when I wouldn't eat something offered by a host. Now I'll just get smaller portions, and many times I'll find I enjoy something I would have typically strayed away from in my pickier times.

That said, anything of the realm of tuna casserole isn't just off limits to me eating it... The smell of it hot repulses me. I can't shake the idea it would be like wet cat/dog food microwaved.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I'm the same way.
Taste buds are interesting..
I have this thing, I call "coleslaw theory" about taste buds evolving.
Hated it as a kid, liked it for a bit, hated it again, now I love it.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

From what I've heard, cell replacement happens about every seven years. Your taste buds can change, or they may not... Same with allergies.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Do me a favor...
Whenever (if ever) this gets brought up in conversation, refer to it as "coleslaw Theory"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join