It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What propulsion method is best for space travel in the future?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Surely you know that Forbidden Planet is based on The Tempest, by Willy.

(Surely, you get the "surely" reference in regard to Forbidden Planet)

edit on 10/2/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

Infinite improbability drive

accept no coherent explainations

"As the infinite improbability drive reaches infinite improbability, it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe almost simultaneously. In other words, you're never sure where you'll and up or what species you'll be when you get there.

It's therefore important to dress accordingly."

--Douglas Adams

edit on 10/2/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Not physical travel. Massless projection of over-perception and awareness via amplified concepting through chemical and electrobiological enhancement.
edit on 2-10-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket (VASIMR)

www.adastrarocket.com...
edit on 2-10-2019 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxNocerino7

Whatever method of propulsion we use will have to circumvent general relativity else we won't be building any empires based on communication nor trade

The Alcubierre drive solution not only changes those limits, it all but removes them.

Wormholes would be another method of travel that somewhat circumvents the problems that surround relativity with travel through space-time.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

VASIMR drives will let us stroll around our own solar system.

But travel time between stars is untenable using such a method of propulsion.

edit on 3-10-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Nice idea for a thread, deserves more flags. In terms of interstellar distances we need a propulsion mechanism which manipulates space-time in some way (aka a warp drive), assuming we want the trip to be shorter than a lifetime. I assume option 2, a "Black hole starship" would be a type of warp drive, by making use of the gravity fields of miniature black holes. It also recently occurred to me that "anti-gravity" drives are essentially equivalent to a warp drive or at least a prerequisite to building a warp drive, because the "negative gravity" component is crucial to warping space in a way that produces propulsion, which is why you usually hear scientists say warp drives require some form of negative energy.

There are multiple other ideas for how space could be warped but the anti-gravity approach intrigues me because I always thought anti-gravity would only really be useful in hover-boards but not for space travel, after all there is no mass to repel against in deep space, but that's not the right way of looking at it. I find Bob Lazar very hard to trust but he seems to have some knowledge about anti-gravity mechanisms. From what I remember he claims that anti-gravity crafts function by generating focused gravity waves, being powered by some sort of particle accelerator which triggers an anti-matter reaction, with element 115 playing some important role in the reaction.

The black hole idea is also interesting because Titor claimed his craft was powered by spinning micro-singularities contained by magnetic fields, much like how a particle accelerator controls the path of particles. The thing I find most interesting of course is how all these ideas of warping space-time lead to the possibility of manipulating time along with space, hence why I've made a few threads on that topic over the past year or two. It could also potentially explain why we don't have hover-boards, because you immediately open up Pandora's box and the implications of having an anti-gravity engine. Gravity defines the shape of space-time and is intrinsically linked to the way we experience the flow of time, seen in effects such as gravitational time dilation.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I second the micro-mini black hole photon propulsion unit for a starship. Since it's the only logical way that a starship can acquire infinite fuel (starlight photons) for constant acceleration --- thereby causing it to eventually break into the superluminal realm.
edit on 22-10-2019 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I've always wondered if it was possible to find a way to travel light speed with the power of light itself.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

"If only we could make some of those."

Thing is, if we could make something, anything, that could get us to another planet and back a few times then we might be able to harvest resources from said planets to make stronger propulsion. Maybe even something that makes a real hoverboard.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
In regions that lack natural starlight photons...a finite fuel source (deuterium from seawater) might probably be required for magnetically contained & pressurized fusion plasma reactions to occur between two magnetic shields, that surrounds the starship; which is used as a source of photon fuel for the ever-hungry micro mini black hole photon propulsion unit.
edit on 22-10-2019 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The magnetic shields --- that surrounds the starship --- are possibly created by the micro mini black hole itself...which should protect the starship & crew from the negative effects of the speed of light barrier; by simulating no-rest mass.

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Look up "black hole drives"-isaac Arthur on YouTube. Goes into depth on how it would work. The alcubierre drive not only requires energy equivalent to the mass of Jupiter to produce the warp, but you actually need negative energy. Something we are pretty sure doesn't exist.

I like light sails. which are then sent off with a high powered laser. Project starshot breakthrough could get to alpha centauri in 20 years. Though the spacecraft will only weigh 1-2grams. It would work well just to send out probes all over the place and we have the capabilities to do so already. you could theoretically build a massive sail with the diameter of a planet and be able to move massive payloads. The problem is stopping

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

i would say antimatter

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join