It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 teens watched and filmed as one teen stabbed another

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Yes, I agree with that assessment. Apathy is nothing new and it is easy.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

So what's the excuse for the Boomers that ignored Kitty Genovese's cries for help?

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
People seem to assume that these kids vote and have some political affiliation. The blame should be on humanity in general.

Youth culture is influenced by the adult world, And the BS we produce... Who are the American heroes? teachers, scientist, humanitarians? Nope, it's the people that kick ass, sports figures, the powerful on TV, Countless simulated murders on TV every day. What kind of video games do kids play? Are they violent? Glorified threats of violence even in our political realm...

What do you expect?

Look what I found.....just a few of the old ATS emojis...

We have met the enemy and he is us........pogo
edit on 20-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

My feeling in general also.

Who are the American heroes? teachers, scientist, humanitarians? Nope, it's the people that kick ass, sports figures, the powerful on TV

It is sad. Who would have thought running with a ball would be so rewarded.

edit:

Not to mention youtube idiots.
edit on 9/20/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Serdgiam

So what's the excuse for the Boomers that ignored Kitty Genovese's cries for help?

Different circumstances, obviously.

Its one thing to hear such an event, another to witness it directly in large groups while filming it. Ignoring it in either of these circumstances leads to tragedy.

However, its the same base behavior. Its really not complicated.. What Im talking about with technology is just leveraging what was already there as part of the human condition and Cultural Story.

I do believe it has all given birth to something novel, but its still humans involved.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

It was better in the 1980's. And to blueman's surprise, slavery had already been abolished for well over a century.

If we took this exact same scenario and popped it into the 1980's here's my theory on what would happen.

Two guys fight over a girl. One guy has a knife. A big crowd gathers to watch. Guy gets one stab in. Many of the people in the crowd freak out and some rush in to grab the knife guy. Others run for help. Some stay with the kid while others get help. Sure some in the crowd would freeze and do nothing. I just can't, just can't imagine back in that time not one in 70 people would just stand there. They wouldn't....

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Could have, would have, and should have.

Modals of lost opportunities i suppose.

The information age in which we live also shares a modicum of blame.

We will film anything, and then some, posterity being a female dog.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: JAGStorm

Why do you think this a problem of the youth?

In 1964 Kitty Genovese was stabbed to death outside her apartment building. Despite the fact that 30+ people heard her cries, not a single one called the cops. This actually led to the concept of the bystander effect.

But please, go ahead and tell us how all the woes in the world are due to the youth.

Because nothing like that happened back then. You're acting as though it was commonplace like it is today. Stop with the excuses.

The New York Times published an article claiming that 38 witnesses saw or heard the attack, but none of them called the police or came to her aid

...the murder became a staple of American psychology textbooks for the next four decades. However, researchers have since uncovered major inaccuracies in the New York Times article.

Turns out, most or all of those 38 people didn't even hear anything.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

gang member here in Chicago killed inside a house party. A portion of it was filmed. Must have been like 70 people in the room. Someone let off like 14 shots in a clear "gang hit"

Darwinian imperative?

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It was better in the 1980's. And to blueman's surprise, slavery had already been abolished for well over a century.

If we took this exact same scenario and popped it into the 1980's here's my theory on what would happen.

Two guys fight over a girl. One guy has a knife. A big crowd gathers to watch. Guy gets one stab in. Many of the people in the crowd freak out and some rush in to grab the knife guy. Others run for help. Some stay with the kid while others get help. Sure some in the crowd would freeze and do nothing. I just can't, just can't imagine back in that time not one in 70 people would just stand there. They wouldn't....

Not to mention, since it was two high school kids, it probably would have been a fist fight.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I believe you are totally correct in your view that many people truly have no fear I know that I am not as law abiding as I once was and its down to the fact that the law in Britain is a complete joke now that there are so few police around They have almost given up and therefore many people do not fear the consequences of their actions Its so sad but I cannot see things changing any time soon

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

gang member here in Chicago killed inside a house party. A portion of it was filmed. Must have been like 70 people in the room. Someone let off like 14 shots in a clear "gang hit"

Darwinian imperative?

Precisely...

Technology has sped up the process exponentially; And it will continue until draconian measures are applied. Either way it going to get gnarly. Glad I don't have kids....!

edit on 20-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm guessing those posting about "kids these days" or people "these days" have never heard Kitty Genovese.

The bystander effect. Nothing new, certainly nothing unique to "these days".

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
I'm guessing those posting about "kids these days" or people "these days" have never heard Kitty Genovese.

I was not familiar with that story, but there are big differences, I looked it up
#1 Kitty's stabbing happened at 3am
#2 there was not a group watching as it happened
#3 those that did hear it said they thought it was a drunken dispute, and not a stabbing

www.thevintagenews.com...

In fact, there’s no evidence of 38 bystanders who witnessed or observed the attack against Genovese. Upon further investigation, the facts have appeared to be considerably different.

edit on 20-9-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We shall unleash the Nihilists and the atheists, and we shall provoke a formidable social cataclysm which in all its horror will show clearly to the nations the effect of absolute atheism, origin of savagery and of the most bloody turmoil.

3 World Wars
edit on 2092019 by Wide-Eyes because: To fix link.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I was not familiar with that story, but there are big differences
#1 Kitty's stabbing happened at 3am
#2 there was not a group watching as it happened
#3 those that did hear it said they thought it was a drunken dispute, and not a stabbing

www.thevintagenews.com...

In fact, there’s no evidence of 38 bystanders who witnessed or observed the attack against Genovese. Upon further investigation, the facts have appeared to be considerably different.

Another example of someone who sees something they think is useful and repeats it with no knowledge of it. You're the second one to post the fact that the claimed story was inaccurate.

However, since this is commonplace today, after the initial story came out in 1964, it was talked about in textbooks for 40 years. I doubt Kasheed's murder will make it past the back page of the newspaper.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Darwinian imperative?

Precisely...

Technology has sped up the process exponentially; And it will continue until draconian measures are applied. Either way it going to get gnarly. Glad I don't have kids....!

It's a paradox.

Have kids and hope that they make a difference or have kids and they become part of the machine.

I don't think we are at the point where it is too late yet. Take into account depopulation and that one, two or however many lives might be the change that humanity needs.

Your posts suggest you are somewhat successful in life.

Never give up.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The problem isn't guns. It's Americans. This just goes to point out that fact.

We are fed a steady diet of death and murder in our media. After seeing so much of it. You just don't care anymore.

We need to change things.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Another example of someone who sees something they think is useful and repeats it with no knowledge of it. You're the second one to post the fact that the claimed story was inaccurate. However, since this is commonplace today, after the initial story came out in 1964, it was talked about in textbooks for 40 years. I doubt Kasheed's murder will make it past the back page of the newspaper.

I wasn't there, and can only go by what is reported and corrected in the news.
At the time it appears news came out, and it was indeed sensational. Then it was corrected over and over.

Common sense says there probably weren't 38 people just hanging out at 3am in 1964. Unlike this story with kids at a strip mall right after school. Comparing the two is different right there. I know at 3 am most people are sleeping, inside. If things are heard they probably brush them off or don't hear them accurately because they are half asleep. This doesn't mean there weren't 1 or two or a few people that did hear her and ignored her pleas. That is not what I'm debating.

The difference is, at that time, if we were to compare 70 people outside during the day, while a person got stabbed I think we would see a different outcome than we did in this recent case.

If you have other details to the story that we do not know, please do share.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

28 year old Italian-American female from Brooklyn, NY, stabbed twice in the back, robbed, raped, and stabbed several more times from the front before dying of asphyxiation due a punctured lung, in Queens, NY on March 16, 1964 by 29 year old Manhattan native, Winston Moseley? No, who is she?

The article by the NYT was inaccurate, and it wasn't commonplace, nor was it anything comparable to the OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join