It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti - Open Carry Epidemic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Might as well start a thread that lists the places that are now "requesting" customers not to open carry firearms in their establishments.

Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger
Fred Meyer
CVS
Walgreens
Wegmans
Albertson's
Publix

This is only the beginning...

edit on 9/12/19 by Hefficide because: Edited at member request to add stores to list

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

How many people open carried before?

I think I've only ever seen one in a hardware store.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Why would anyone need to carry a gun in one of these business establishments?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In some areas it's quite popular.

I'm sure a few Hardware Stores are already formulating their "requests" for media.
edit on 5-9-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
Might as well start a thread that lists the places that are now "requesting" customers not to open carry firearms in their establishments.

Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger
Fred Meyer
CVS
Walgreens
Wegmans

When I see a person openly wearing a sidearm in public, I usually think that the person is a trustworthy individual, as they most likely have a permit to carry (at least in my state).
What about the gangbangers that have baggie pants to cover the fact that they are carrying concealed? Those would be the ones to be worried about.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

I could almost post the same reply I made in another thread about you tube censorship

All of those names named in the list are corporate owned businesses. They can prevent open carry if they want to. There is no law stopping them from demanding a dress code.

Remember all those signs on store doors? No shirt? No shoes? No service.... This is the same thing. Open carry? No service and no admittance.

Don't like it? Fight back with your pocketbook and don't go there anymore.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Does it matter why someone chooses to legally exercise their second amendment right? That's their business.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I like your point here butcher. A person with a side arm in open carry should demand respect from all that pass. However I, myself do not extend that respect to someone open carrying a Thompson Sub-machine gun over his shoulder. Or her shoulder.

edit on 30America/ChicagoThu, 05 Sep 2019 18:19:40 -0500Thu, 05 Sep 2019 18:19:40 -050019092019-09-05T18:19:40-05:00600000019 by TerryMcGuire because: Or her shoulder

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger
Fred Meyer
CVS
Walgreens
Wegmans

When I see a person openly wearing a sidearm in public, I usually think that the person is a trustworthy individual, as they most likely have a permit to carry (at least in my state).
What about the gangbangers that have baggie pants to cover the fact that they are carrying concealed? Those would be the ones to be worried about.

I carry concealed, legally.

When I see folks open carrying I think they have some manhood or other insecurity issues. Why the need to flaunt it?
edit on 5-9-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I open carry pretty much everywhere when I’m in Texas. Do I need to? Probably not. But on that token, does anyone need to open fire on a Walmart? Nope. I just find I can get access to my pistol faster when it’s on my hip.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thanks. I am aware I don't have to shop there.

One problem tho. The no shirt/shoes policy is Health Code. It's not like the Jacket policy at a Fancy Restaurant.

Open Carry is legal and they are "requesting" that people don't do it. If they don't post the legal requirements for the ban as per their State law then this is going to get sticky. In fact most of these places already have said they aren't going to post it, they are only requesting.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

A person with a side arm in open carry should demand respect from all that pass

Demand respect? Or do you mean "feared" respect?

From me, you get less respect, because I think you're a dumb insecure # for being flashy with it.
edit on 5-9-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If you need to carry a gun to go shopping maybe think about moving somewhere else?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just a thought...

If I were a whackjob walking into a business with a loaded and already aimed weapon, intent upon opening fire on innocent strangers and I saw that one of them had a holstered weapon on their side...

Guess who victim #1 is likely to be.

Concealed carry is absolutely fine IMO but open carry is less so. Live in some small Montana town where everyone knows everyone? Cool. Open carry all day long. Nobody will likely even bat an eye or notice.

However I live in a city and on the rare occasion that I see some yahoo flaunting a weapon without a badge to accompany it, it makes me uneasy. I suspect it makes many others uneasy as well. I don't know that person from Adam so how am I to gauge if that's a "good guy with a gun" or if it's a guy who decided to publish his manifesto 2 minutes before heading to the store?

It's a serious question.

Just one of many. For example, what if a good person is open carrying and something like a shooting happens. LEO's arrive and, in a split second, have to decide if YOU are the shooter or not.

I'm all for the Second Amendment. I really am. But open carrying doesn't make sense to me at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

To impress the ladies with their masculinity. It's like the avatars of some member sporting a superhero with big muscles and pointing an obvious phallic symbol at you. Some American males deal with their insecurities in a very peculiar manner.

Even some female ATS members feel the need to express their masculinity, makes you wonder, eh?

edit on 5-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: butcherguy

I like your point here butcher. A person with a side arm in open carry should demand respect from all that pass. However I, myself do not extend that respect to someone open carrying a Thompson Sub-machine gun over his shoulder. Or her shoulder.

I'd have respect for someone carrying that. Mad respect for a guy that goes through the entire process to legally own a machine gun, purchase said machine gun(for sometimes the cost of a small house) and then just carry it around.

That's nuts.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: KKLOCO

To impress the ladies with their masculinity. It's like the avatars of some member sporting a superhero with big muscles and pointing an obvious phallic symbol at you. Some American males deal with their insecurities in a very peculiar manner.

LOL 🤣

I appreciate all the replies everyone. Olaru’s by far, won the award for best answer!
edit on 5-9-2019 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Does it matter why someone chooses to legally exercise their second amendment right? That's their business.

Is open carry a Constitutional Right?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
You know, I'm in Alaska and I don't think I've ever seen anyone open carry in store. Of course concealed carry is perfectly legal here, so no doubt there are some who carry everywhere. I keep a gun in my vehicle, which is also legal. I keep on in my desk drawer and near at hand at night, but I don't think I'd ever put on a holster or go in a Walmart with a rifle over my shoulder.

I honestly don't care one way or the other, but I can see why open carry in a store might make people uncomfortable and for that reason, it's just not entirely rational. I can see why stores would not want to deal with it and it is their right.

I can't help but wonder how many of those giant purses women carry while shopping have a little somethin somethin in them.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
So as always I have a different take on the issue (I am a gun owner in a highly restrictive state)

First off how many mass shooting have been successfully stopped by a concealed carry or open carry civilian? Texas does allow based on my understanding open carry to those who posses a concealed carry permit and in Texas and its not all that hard to get the permit (heck even convicted felons can under certain conditions carry or posses)

Based on their statistics in 2018 there were 1,362,945 LTC's according to the state www.dps.texas.gov... which represents about 5% of the population of the state.

Given that concealed or open carry seldom seems to make any real impact on these mass shootings (and lets face it, are you going to go up against a body armored maniac toting an semi auto rifle with a 9mm? or fall back?) and the total number of of the population is only 5%. More to the point, why alienate the rest of the population who may not be comfortable with the situation? How is a person supposed to tell someone with felonious intent vs someone exercising their gun rights?

More to the point if you are in a state that allows pretty unrestricted concealed carry (all but impossible to get in California) why bother with open carry? Way way better to be the wolf disguised as a sheep that be a priority target. Also how are police supposed to distinguish between the active shooter and a citizen with a drawn gun in that scenario?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join