It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jacob Rees-Mogg issues style guide to staff

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The article only mentions two points that could be called eccentric. The rest are just good old-fashoned grammar rules.
Imperial measures- yes, stubbornly archaic. I'm not sure when he's expecting them to come up in the work of his department (i.e. managing the way the House of Commons spends its time).
As for John Smith Esq instead of Mr. John Smith- perhaps this used to be the standard style and changed comparatively recently, so he's trying to bring it back.

It could have been worse. If I had been there, I would have insisted that the capital of China is Peking.

edit on 26-7-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The article only mentions two points that could be called eccentric. The rest are just good old-fashoned grammar rules.
Imperial measures- yes, stubbornly archaic. I'm not sure when he's expecting them to come up in the work of his department (i.e. managing the way the House of Commons spends its time).
As for John Smith Esq instead of Mr. John Smith- perhaps this used to be the standard style and changed comparatively recently, so he's trying to bring it back.

It could have been worse. If I had been there, I would have insisted that the capital of China is Peking.

Any office or agency that puts out documents has a style guide for both writing and formatting g. It’s a non-story, but I like your take on it.

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My, my. It seems that standards are quite objectionable these days.
If the story is true, then fine.
It is about time we embraced more elements of British culture and fully embraced the correct use of our written language.

More importantly, the House of Commons has had style guides for hundreds of years. Language, dress and formalities.

This thread is just another example of ridiculous propaganda aimed at a figure the left in our country despise. JRM is a gentleman, a decent human being, religious and conservative. He also wipes the floor with leftists whenever they try to engage him in debate. So, obviously, he's a target for the weak minded to snipe at.

JRM, new Leader of the House - first session. He'll be a future Prime Minister.

edit on 26/7/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You have to... sorry, I'll start again...

One has to admire the sheer comedy value of a man so removed from everyday reality that he actually named his recent sixth child... "Sixtus".

Go on, Jacob - put Sixtus through the Comprehensive School system, mate. I dare ya.

edit on 26-7-2019 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuckyWunderlick
Nice. I don’t get why people aren’t proud of these traditions. Saying “esquire” is bloody cool.

It's usually used only as written in politeness in UK, but there is no, "official" requirement to do so, however it is considered respectful, while Rees-Mogg view is somewhat ambiguous.
edit on 26-7-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConfusedBrit
One has to admire the sheer comedy value of a man so removed from everyday reality that he actually named his recent sixth child... "Sixtus".

Although in his dealings with his constituents he is undoubtedly exposed to extreme real life on a day to day basis. It's easy for people to criticise and belittle, especially around his upbringing, intellect and deportment, but try walking in his shoes.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Although in his dealings with his constituents he is undoubtedly exposed to extreme real life on a day to day basis. It's easy for people to criticise and belittle, especially around his upbringing, intellect and deportment, but try walking in his shoes.

Not sure most of us could afford his shoes.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Double space after full stops hasnt been considered correct for years.

Still I suppose we should be grateful he has at least got as far as mechanical typewriters and wasn't mandating the width of quill nibs.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   

What is your problem with this? He expects Civil Service to have a correct grasp of the language and to enforce the correct standards in official communications.

Frankly, i wish more would enforce this.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   

What is your problem with this? He expects Civil Service to have a correct grasp of the language and to enforce the correct standards in official communications.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Only the standards he is asking for aren't all correct.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

That carrot must be wedged firmly up his....

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That carrot must be wedged firmly up his....

Side ways

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

You have to... sorry, I'll start again...

Go on, Jacob - put Sixtus through the Comprehensive School system, mate. I dare ya.

Of Roman origin and the name of 5 leaders of the Catholic church.
In this day and age it is quite uncommon, but then I tend to prefer it to the 2 most common new born boys names of 2019 in the UK, which are Muhammed and Noah.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

He simply doesn't accept the dumbing down of standards that is so prevalent nowadays, which i believe to be a good thing.

I like Reese-Mogg. I may not agree with everything he says but he is hard working, polite and diligent - something all politicians (and everyone else) should be. Sadly many are not these days.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

He simply doesn't accept the dumbing down of standards that is so prevalent nowadays, which i believe to be a good thing.

I like Reese-Mogg. I may not agree with everything he says but he is hard working, polite and diligent - something all politicians (and everyone else) should be. Sadly many are not these days.

Well said - his first performance answering questions as the Leader of the House of Commons was exemplary.
Excellent speaker, highly intelligent, well informed, well prepared and polite. It's going to be very difficult for the opposite side of the house to get a reaction from him. Their constant baiting and hysterics will simply fall flat - as it did yesterday.
edit on 27/7/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I would also add that Mhaira Black speaks very highly of him - fancy that, a SNP MP liking a blue nose capitalist Tory!

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Again there is a difference between maintaining standards and just being wrong.

You are of course entitled to your opnion of the man. Personally he is amongst the worst type of Tory hiding behind manufactured public persona.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
And he defended the individuals that accosted him and his children in the street.

Fancy that, an MP that isn't hysterical and believes the public have a right of access, even if simply to moan and whine.

posted on Jul, 27 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I was going to put this in the joke's section but apparently its true.....

The new Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg has instructed all staff in his new office to use imperial measurements and refer to ‘non-titled males’ as ‘esquire’.

Link

I mean what a bell-end...

I can't say I'm fond of him, but are you against having a set style within an organisation to allow for consistency? Not sure what the real problem is that you find with it really.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join