It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic 2020 hopeful leads prayer in apologising for being White

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

I don't expect you or anyone to be apologetic but we should all consciously and constantly acknowledge our past as to not repeat injustices in the present or in the future. The defensive justifications and whataboutisms are not a good look for americans in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Secretrooster

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Secretrooster

Irish aren't asking for compensation for the troubles their great great grandparents suffered upon coming to America.

Apologize to me for it.

I am sorry for what happened to the Irish. If you are are Irish I am sorry for what happened to your ancestors.

What country are you actually from? Your skin colour please? I want to know every little detail about you so that I, representing the Irish people (I'm their...umm...lawyer), know who to send the bill to.

But seriously, it's not so much a case of "apologising", but rather acknowledging the "terrible bits" of history as nations or something...

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Just 200,000 years ago, we were all Africans.

Think about that.

I want reparations, and a cheesecake.

Reparations because I would like to have some cash especially from stupid people, and a cheesecake because I'm hungry.

'Stupid People Cash' is the BEST.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Come on Occ, Because it was a ''stunt'' and because those past injustices were perpetrated by white people on others of color.

The whole ''faux prayer'' was a stunt, no better or worse than any other time this form of group control is used in churches and ''prayer breakfasts or congressional gatherings asking for God's ear. But why then turn this obnoxious practice into an example of white people hating being white when that did not happen at all? That is my question back to you.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Boadicea

I agree Boadicea. While the thrust of the thread has been proved wrong by the video itself the rest of what it depicted was indeed disconcerting. Not so much this one event specifically but more that it reflects the whole notion of one person assuming some form of spiritual ''leadership'' intoning a prayer and the crowd following along step by step.

Yes -- exactly! Thank you!

And this is a presidential candidate. Someone who wants to lead the entire nation. The groupthink -- borderline cultism -- is already disturbing. Can you imagine her inauguration? Her State of the Union addresses? Fireside chats... or should that be fireside chants?

Is this any better or any different than if a candidate/president tried to invoke any "religion" on the entire nation? Obviously, these folks would be just fine with that...

I find this very very disturbing. Chilling even.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: Plotus
I will Never appologize for being WHITE, nor will I feel anything but pride for my Race.

Right, I was starting to agree with the first part of your post to an extent.

But the second part? "Pride? Race?

EDIT: By the way, you don't have to be a "bleeding-heart liberal" to decide that there is something iffy with the second part of your post...

Would it be “iffy” if said by a black or Asian person?

Society, or at least a very vocal minority of it, have deemed anything less than self loathing of whites as an expression or racism.
There is nothing wrong with being proud of the accomplishments of your ancestors or race regardless of who they are or what it is

"Proud of the accomplishments of your ancestors"?

What ancestors? They were your ancestors were they? Again, who decides who is "white" and who isn't? "Hispanic"/"Latino",for example, is apparently listed on the US Census and is an actual "term" in the United States. So those folks aren't "white" then?

So, two hundred years in the future, some little black Senegalese lad should be "proud" of Usain Bolt, a Jamaican fella, for once being the world's fastest man? Or a Chinese chap should be "proud" of the rise of Mongolians in history?

Also, at the same time as feeling "pride" for your "race", you must then also feel "shame" and "pity" for "the bad bits". I've just realised that you're almost as bad as she is. She apparently wants people to "apologise" for "the bad bits" and you want people to feel "pride" for "the good bits"?

Seriously...

So by your logic no one on earth should be proud of their race? Am I getting it right?

For me the good fat outweighs the bad when history as a whole is looked at.
In your analogy a former junkie who has gotten over their addiction and gone on to start a family and has helped 1000s of other people kick their addictions should feel nothing but shame for their entire lives?
Is this correct or am I misunderstanding you?

White means European ancestry, there are melaninly challenged people all over the world but when I say whites I am talking about European descent.
Latinos aren’t “white” unless by white you mean not black.

Why shouldn’t the Senegalese kid be proud of Usain Bolt?
The Chinese and Mongolians are a seperate people, if the Chinese kid wants to be proud of Asians then he can include Genghis

And to be clear I don’t want anyone to do anything, your thoughts are your own.
If you feel pride, shame, pity or whatever, that’s on you.

This post is bizarre. Even slightly more bizarre than your previous one.

I could maybe understand feeling proud of human achievements as a whole and whatnot, but you are telling me that "white" is "of European ancestry"? Have you any knowledge of history? The history of South and Central America? North America even? You do realise that the majority of folks in those regions are not direct descendants of the historical natives there, right? Where do you think their ancestors came from? Spain, Portugal etc. So, you are saying Southern Europeans are not "white"?

How can a Chinese kid feel "proud" of the achievements of the Mongolian people? That's like a British lad feeling "proud" of the achievements of Norwegians.

Nothing wrong with feeling "proud" of human ingenuity and achievements as a whole, but going a little far and sub-grouping everything and calling people who aren't even actually your own ancestors, your ancestors and then feeling "proud" of them is a tad bit insulting. Europe? Europe is a region, which, historically, has been full of several different nations (constantly warring with each other at different points in time). The Union is only a recent thing and greater regional cooperation is also only a fairly recent thing too.

Your junkie example is misguided, although I understand the point you were trying to make. Yes, the ex-junkie can feel "proud" of having gotten back on his feet and helped others. But he may also feel shame at the bad bits of his life when he was a junkie. So, too, the ex-con who is now "a pillar of the community". He uses his experience to teach youngsters to stay away from the bad paths of life and recognises the bad bits in his life, whilst also being proud of his achievements since leaving his "bad past behind". But these examples are nothing compared to the larger picture that we're looking at here which is essentially talking about large swathes of people with the same (similar?) skin colour...

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Just 200,000 years ago, we were all Africans.

Think about that.

I want reparations, and a cheesecake.

Reparations because I would like to have some cash especially from stupid people, and a cheesecake because I'm hungry.

Why did you have to go and remind people of the common ancestry? You're gonna bankrupt America, you really are.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

It was anti white virtue signalling nonsense that needs to be called out so it can be stopped.

I’m not sure I understand the thrust of your post, too many double negatives for me to keep up with

Double negatives? Where?

But yes, the whole stunt was exactly that, virtue signalling and we can help ourselves by recognizing it for what it is whenever it takes place. It is and has been the foundation of all chant and response in churches for as long as I can remember.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Marianne Williamson is a professional mind manipulator and a professional BS artist 😎

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

She is getting panned pretty severely by media overall. The late nights hammered her after the first debate, though she did break though the haze of polite answers to stomp on our inverted health care system.

I wonder why she is running at all. I guess she is capitalizing on her relationship with Oprah.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

a reply to: Secretrooster

...but it must be said that "the Irish" (whichever Irish folk actually left Eire) were not forcibly dragged kicking and screaming from Ireland against their will.

That's not entirely true. Not all, but many Irishmen were basically kidnapped and brought to the colonies and sold into servitude, often by ship's captains.

Why the Irish were both slaves and indentured servants in colonial America

The above article includes some court documents from such cases, Irishmen suing for release -- freedom -- from their indentured servitude.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

She is getting panned pretty severely by media overall.

Thank goodness for small wonders then, eh? I remember when she first came on the public scene, talking about love and forgiveness and goodness... and then went on the most hateful rant about someone or something that I'd ever heard. But somehow her hate was really "love" because it was so rightesous donchaknow! The disconnect was so bizarre and disingenuous to me that just hearing her name gives me the creeps.

I wonder why she is running at all. I guess she is capitalizing on her relationship with Oprah.

Which is also quite bizarre to me. Oprah and her "kingmaking" -- or I guess "queenmaking" in this case. Oprah has promoted the absolute WORST people to prominence (and wealth of course), to the point if I hear "Oprah" in association with anyone or anything, I expect the worst. I don't get her power here.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Honestly. Is it that bad for Europeans to apologize for the harm their ancestors caused? And the harm that has continued? I heard no one say “I apologize for being white”. We can’t help the race we are born into. We can try to correct the wrong of our ancestors though.

Are the sins of your ancestors your responsibility?

All of their sins? Or just this one?

What if your ancestors didn’t own slaves? It really wasn’t that common.

What if i’m white, but my Dad just immigrated from ireland, and my mom is mostly Native American? How much guilt should i harbor?

I’m not saying we are responsible for our ancestors actions. I’m saying be sympathetic. Have compassion. Acknowledge what Europeans did.

While I don’t agree completely with what the lady in the video said and how she said it. I do think looking at your neighbor to say “I’m sorry what happened back then and I’m sorry for what continues to happen today” is a good thing.
why not just accept that everyone has terrible people in their ancestry. Including black people. I’m not sorry for anything i didn’t do.

Why are you not asking Africans to apologize for selling other Africans?

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I have paid little attention to anything about Ophra, See? I can't even spell her name correctly without looking it up first.
Oprah (spell checked easily and ain't that a hoot) has been using the same techniques of crowd gathering that Trump does. The friend next door, the give you everything you want stuff.

As much as I will love seeing Trump out of office and out of the pubic eye(as if him ever being out of the public eye would ever happen) forever, it the reason for that would be for her to run and beat him, well that could be a catastrophic swing in our politics that we might never recover from.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

A lot of people are ancestors of Genghis Khan. We all need to start apologizing for the things he did .. cuz ancestor.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It would seem to me that it's Trump (and crew) that hate America's very real history. If you actually love this country you will embrace it truthfully in both it's accomplishments and it's litany of atrocities. Denial and whitewashing doesn't go over well with the people that have been wronged repeatedly by the USA. Admitting the wrongs of the past will help avoid them in the future... although we have a president that wants to repeat those mistakes again.

But acting like a grown up about the USA wouldn't go over well when you run a campaign of division. But hey, the supporters will still say Trump loves this country when he hates over half of the population. Go figure.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

As much as I will love seeing Trump out of office and out of the pubic eye(as if him ever being out of the public eye would ever happen) forever, it the reason for that would be for her to run and beat him, well that could be a catastrophic swing in our politics that we might never recover from.

Oh what a thought! Not a Trump fan, but she is one person that I fear would be worse. Much worse.

Never say never of course, but I would seriously hope that Oprah could never ever get that far... ever. I'd sure hate to see an Oprah cabinet. Who'd she pick for those posts would be quite scary considering who she picks to promote on her shows. No no no!

I honestly can't think of anyone I could support for prez at this point though.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What I don’t understand is how America gets 100% of the blame for the trans-Atlantic slave trade when only around 3% of the total slaves were shipped to North America, according to the source PBS cites.

Between 1525 and 1866, in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America. And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000.

That’s right: a tiny percentage.

www.pbs.org...
edit on 21-7-2019 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2019 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
CNN just said only white males were sent to the Moon. That's very racist!

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Because it's absurd just like making white people pay reparations in 2019 or apologizing for existing.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join