It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 500BC, there were "only" an *estimated* 100 million humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Estimated historical human population of Earth (Population in millions)

500 BC - 100 million
1 AD - 170 million

By 2050, Earth's human population is expected to surpass 9 billion humans...
edit on 1-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Hmmm...
If I could just get one penny from each person.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I remember seeing a study a few years ago that said we had once hit a bottleneck where there were only around 10 - 100 thousand humans on the planet.

Can't remember when they said this had happened, I'll try look for it later when I get some time.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

There must've been quite a lot of inbreeding back in the day.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

There must've been quite a lot of inbreeding back in the day.

Ugh. Tell me about it.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I remember seeing a study a few years ago that said we had once hit a bottleneck where there were only around 10 - 100 thousand humans on the planet.

Can't remember when they said this had happened, I'll try look for it later when I get some time.

It was a mega volcano in indonesia called Mt. Toba.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7/1/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

One of these days there will be a culling.

Nature has a way.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

One of these days there will be a culling.

Nature has a way.

Unless of course an asteroid hits?

Then "culling" will be an understatement.

(Luckily, Russia may shoot some hypersonic missiles at the asteroids and meteoroids to stop them destroying Earth
)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Apparently, every human walking the earth today can be genetically traced back to one single mitochondrial 'Eve' that lived about 200,000 years ago.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Maybe some long lost monkey?

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I would serious argue that this figure for the population at that time is wildly wrong and in fact there were more likely over 500 million to perhaps even a billion or more.

let's look at south america, before the European conquest I read one estimate that claimed that before the infrastructure was smashed and the administration fell apart due to European invasion that south america produced up to sixty percent more food than it does today, that is over half again more food per person than it produces today with no export so that must have been for internal consumption of those ancient cultures.

Then you have lidar which has shown that the Mayan civilization - much of it once thought to be individual city's was in fact once one HUGE modern city sized metropolis - it's almost as if some ancient society fragmented turning into gang's whose leaders declared themselves divine king's that preyed upon the surrounding neighborhood's whom often had there own gang's and king's so the vast metropolis shrank into individual smaller city states for a time probably over the forgotten ruins' of there once much greater past.
This Mayan city in Guatemala may itself alone have once had a population of 10 million people.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

And remember were there is one city there were probably many more - many more and that is just in south America.
Then you have equally vast city's in Cambodia and many other places.

History as they say is written by the conqueror and for many conquerors there was nothing before them, and they would kill you for saying otherwise - which leaves us blind to the real nature and form of the past since we have to go on much later theory's and perhaps disputed record's of the past and archaeological idea's.

Even in Siberia there are vast land marking's that may indicate VERY ancient land partitioning, perhaps irrigation even and that reach back to a time when much of that land therefore must have been populated though today it barely is.

Do not buy the overpopulation lie, it is all about money and that is all it is really about - oh that and control.

And just to make you consider again the orthodox lie about how many people may have once been alive back then - and how long we have been city building modern thinking human's just take a walk into the twilight zone for a moment and take a good look at this, you may disagree with some or even all but maybe something, just something may make you think again.

City's need workers, food, farmers, villages and town's to feed them.

Population was MUCH, MUCH larger than it is today.

And then what if this was all about killing us so that someone else could feel safe, in case we got too intelligent and even surpassed them?.
Not get your tinfoil hat and prepare for a walk into the twilight zone, be careful of other people's opinion's and belief's and take this with a pinch of salt BUT still consider it - you know just in case the absurd is actually the truth as reality is often not the comfortable familiar view of it we paint around ourselves for our own sanity and just maybe this is the truth - or at least one truth.

And if she was even remotely correct then?.
Would that mean that this other species had already engineered the destruction of a previous age of human power on this planet out of fear of us?, are they not therefore if they even remotely exist actually the inferior species since they so greatly fear us.

More from Hudes, this is a good one and more relevant to how you are controlled property and not a free person as you may think of yourself.

edit on 1-7-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Toba Theory

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

beat me to it

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm not sure what it matters - here at least. Western civilization's population is about to start falling off rapidly in the coming decades.

There will likely be an existential crisis quite shortly. And anybody who is being born doesn't actually learn anything anymore they just tap click regurge..

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I agree the history we were taught in school was a story made up by the victors,explorers from the 1500's recaps and maps show an entirely different story,far from the truth,the population in these areas were destroid by earthquakes,floods volcanoes land disappearing,and the victors came in and killed off the injured and weak survivors

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Hmm, not so sure. Look at the Battle of Cannae around 216 BC. The Romans lost at the very least 40'000 soldiers in a day and the population of Rome itself (from ancient sources) was around 420'000 adult males. So, in a single day, by far the largest city on the planet at the time lost at least 1 / 10th of its population of adult males.

This was an era of a few large cities, more small towns and then mostly villages - all over the planet.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

You make an excellent point but I would say that Rome is the largest city we know of at that time, still that was a hell of a loss of manpower for what even at that stage was little more than a city state engaged in a war against a major empire sea based empire, the roman's copied or it is believed that they did the Carthaginian's own ship design, you know despite there barbaric religion and baby sacrifice in many ways the Carthaginian's were exceptionally smart, invented modular ship design were each part was mass produced often by craftsmen whom would specialize in making just that part and then once all these part's were brought together the ship yard would assemble them, each part was neatly numbered as well and it is believed that the Roman's copied there design - think of them as the Henry Ford of the ancient world with there modular almost factory production line technique to there ship building.
Those Carthaginian's were also no slough as far as there hydro-engineering was concerned as we know from the ruin's of a town that dates to the Carthage city state period were the houses has bathroom's much like modern one's complete with bathtub's and plumbing and even running water.

The main difference between these two empires Carthage and it's successor Rome was that Carthage despite being no stranger to war and conquest as more of a trade empire built upon trade while Rome was definitely more of a conquering empire built upon conquest, still Hannibal definitely gave the Roman's a run for there money and in fact in one of the twists of history had Rome by the goiter only to let it go - some have speculated he actually did not want to destroy Rome but rather to take it intact while other's have pointed the finger at malaria which ravaged the Carthaginian and mercenary forces and decimated them before the Roman's were able to rally and finally defeat them.

Historically we are fortunate that Rome won as Carthage was less ethical with it's human sacrifice - though Rome was no stranger to that as well and indeed what were the blood letting spectacles of the arena if not human sacrifice.

What you have to remember though is that it is actually a very Eurocentric view that Rome was the largest city in the ancient world and while it may have been in Europe it is possible that in Asia there may have been city's that could not only compete but even exceeded it in size.

Remember though much - much later when the mongol's took the capital of China it is said that as the city burned the street's were slick with the fact of human's that were burning in the fires and in that city alone the mongol's may have killed millions' of people.

Go back closer to and parallel to the time of Rome the first emperor of China (Allegedly he had all previous history's burned and the scholars murdered as you know after unifying - or was that reunifying the seven warring kingdoms) caused the death of millions in the building of his wall, his palace when it was sacked after his death was the size of a small city and this one giant building took over two years to burn down after being set ablaze, how many people lived in ancient China? and how large were there city's at that time given those fact's as it sound's as if Rome may not have been all that impressive with it's early high rise one room tenement's and narrow often less than shoulder width alley's and street's - other than the main thoroughfares (the disease riddled Rome that Nero burned down).

We much like the Roman's did themselves tend to cherry pick the best of there idea's, we can see that all new city's the roman's build were based on well ordered design's - at least after the second century and we also know that the Roman's were very unfair in there appraisal of the Celt's on some matters as we have since found evidence that while not as advanced as the Roman's the Celt's - at least some of them - did actually build roads though they did so usually out of wood rather than stone and there city's while not as large since there culture was more warrior and agricultural were often surprisingly large.

Still the roman's did have triple glazing in there bath's in Rome, invented or inherited the Hypercaust an early central heating system and created beautiful aqueducts thank's to the arch which they may have inherited from the Etruscan's many of which are still standing to this day in places like Spain.

But as for rotted fish sauce, I think I shall give that a miss (you know that Carthage was still dining on it up to the time of there final collapse when the Turk's used cannon to bring down there ancient wall's but it was said that you used to be able to smell Carthage from hundreds of miles away thank's to that garum sauce they made from rotted fish left to ferment in there own juice in barrels in the hot sun - I have just given myself stomach ache thinking about it).

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Sorry for my spelling error's above, I get ocular migraine's and these day's get them more and more often, it's like a blind spot and flashing in front of my eye's, I become slightly erratic and my thought's become a little bit messed up as does my coordination and of course at such time's it is best not to reply but also at such time's rational is perhaps also not how I am capable of behaving, disjointed is how I would define my mental state at such time's during those migraines.

So if anyone has stumbled over the huge amount of spelling errors in my above post I am sorry and felt you needed an explanation, it is actually worse the following day as well since the ocular migraine is followed by one hell of a cracking headache (can last a couple of day's - I have really powerful pain killers but they also knock me out - well make me very drowsy so I try not to take them unless I absolutely have to) and if I cough I get shooting pain's right through the right side of my head, if anything it is more annoying to me when I come back and check a post a day or two later and can not believe how badly I typed it, not that I am anyone's definition of a good writer or anything but you get my point, it's damned embarrassing and also very funny.

edit on 4-7-2019 by LABTECH767 because: At least I am alert enough to spot that spelling error.

edit on 4-7-2019 by LABTECH767 because: and a little more context, sorry no more edits.

edit on 4-7-2019 by LABTECH767 because: well except for this last one - honestly

new topics

top topics

join