It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Signs EO As A "Workaround" On Obamacare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well, well, well....

President Trump signed an executive order Monday on price transparency in health care that aims to lower rising health care costs by showing prices to patients. The idea is that if people can shop around, market forces may drive down costs. "Hospitals will be required to publish prices that reflect what people pay for services," said President Trump at a White House event. "You will get great pricing. Prices will come down by numbers that you wouldn't believe. The cost of healthcare will go way, way down." Like several of President Trump's other health policy-related announcements, today's executive order doesn't spell out specific actions, but directs the department of Health and Human Services to develop a policy and then undertake a lengthy rule-making process. "The president knows the best way to lower costs in health care is to put patients in control by increasing choice and competition," HHS Secretary Alex Azar said at a phone briefing for reporters Monday morning.

I'm sure this could possibly create levels of care like what I experience with the VA Hospital, i.e., receiving a crown or a filling verses pulling the whole tooth, but I think its a step in the right direction.

For far too long the citizenry has been gouged to the gills on just about everything, with a "take it or leave it" only solution.

It will be interesting to see how this effects healthcare overall.

Here's the official White House release:

www.whitehouse.gov...
ed it on E30America/ChicagoMon, 24 Jun 2019 20:06:47 -05006pmMondayth08pm by EternalShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

What does the EO say? How is it an ACA go around?

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

It requires that pricing (base cost as well as co-pays) be provided before services are provided. The idea is that this will stimulate competition which will result in lower prices.

Doesn't have much to do with the ACA, actually.

edit on 6/24/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Great now every commercial between pharmaceutical products will be health care ones.
Best price in town for an xray or an ultra sound!

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Sorry, I forgot the qoutes on "Workaround".

Here's the link to the official White House release:

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Hospitals will be required to publish prices that reflect what people pay for services,

Praise our mighty orange overlord! If this requirement is actually enacted it will be a yuge win!

I got hit with a $2k bill about four months ago that I was told would be about a $150. It's downright criminal!

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Great now every commercial between pharmaceutical products will be health care ones.
Best price in town for an xray or an ultra sound!

LOL!

I'm hoping for buy one crown get two free!!

My mouth is wrecked

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

Hospitals will be required to publish prices that reflect what people pay for services,

Praise our mighty orange overlord! If this requirement is actually enacted it will be a yuge win!

I got hit with a $2k bill about four months ago that I was told would be about a $150. It's downright criminal!

You'll still be billed $2k.

It's just that your financial worries will now coincide with your health worries.

Gotta love it that everyone in government there is saying 'healthcare' and really they are talking about different money making schemes.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

In other words,

If he isn't re-elected, it'll never happen just like the literal wall or excellent barrier wont.

Do National Emergencies and Executive Orders carry over into new administrations? I'm pretty sure there's nothing to repeal.

It'll give him another thing to reference during re-election that he's doing for the American people. Will definitely be mentioned among others.
edit on 6/24/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Probably is a good thing. I don't like or trust Trump but the idea is sound. I always thought it was pretty stupid they were able to get by with refusing to tell you what something would cost.

OTOH, this doesn't fit well with limited government. It still aims to fix a problem by putting the government in it. Whether it is successful or not, it's still more government. Which at this point is (I guess) like pouring a cup of water into a lake.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It requires that pricing (base cost as well as co-pays) be provided before services are provided. The idea is that this will stimulate competition which will result in lower prices.

Doesn't have much to do with the ACA, actually.

Aside from the fact that Obamacare was just accepting that healthcare was unaffordable in the first place (for reasons Obamacare didn't know or care about) and working from there to try and force more people to put money in there to pay for it so the healthcare industry could continue robbing them blind. Thus, making it "affordable" in terms of making the price seem lower than it actually was. But of course they failed at their goal of forcing everyone to pay so the prices actually went up for many people. Which was a good thing because they had no right to try and force individuals to buy health insurance just so they wouldn't have to do something about the prices.
edit on 24-6-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

It's just that your financial worries will now coincide with your health worries.

Gotta love it that everyone in government there is saying 'healthcare' and really they are talking about different money making schemes.

If or when I come down with something that's terminal over 50% of the time, I'm going to adjust my habits, diet, and lifestyle as much as possible while doing what you can do yourself to help your prospects. Google will be my Primary Care Physician.

I'll get an emergency room visit or two, maybe three that i'll never be able to pay for which is a blessing or else I'd never be seen by a doctor once for something like cancer, and that's it. Can't afford it and can't afford insurance. I might be able to afford insurance through work, it's $90-$100 a month, but I can't afford co-pays or good prescriptions for serious things because I make $700-$850 a month, depending on hours and what month it is.

I'll get and take the cheap prescriptions and apply for some kind of assistance for people who are low income and terminal but as it stands, based on living with someone who gets $600 a month and my income combined, I'd be eligible for medicare had it been expanded in my state so I get a credit on my tax return that goes to an old federal student loan and no medicare. My household income is $1300-$1500 a month and most of it goes to bills and living expenses.
edit on 6/24/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Then you'll just get the companies colluding to fix prices.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Great. There's nothing like bargain surgery.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor

If or when I come down with something that's terminal over 50% of the time, I'm going to adjust my habits, diet, and lifestyle as much as possible while doing what you can do yourself to help your prospects. Google will be my Primary Care Physician.

I'll get an emergency room visit or two, maybe three that i'll never be able to pay for which is a blessing or else I'd never be seen by a doctor once for something like cancer, and that's it. Can't afford it and can't afford insurance. I might be able to afford insurance through work, it's $90-$100 a month, but I can't afford co-pays or good prescriptions for serious things because I make $700-$850 a month, depending on hours and what month it is.

I'll get and take the cheap prescriptions and apply for some kind of assistance for people who are low income and terminal but as it stands, based on living with someone who gets $600 a month and my income combined, I'd be eligible for medicare had it been expanded in my state so I get a credit on my tax return that goes to an old federal student loan and no medicare. My household income is $1300-$1500 a month and most of it goes to bills and living expenses.

You could also fly to another country that provides free, high standard, universal healthcare. Some countries have even higher quality of care than the US - for free!

Or you could simply vote out all the politicians who withhold such free healthcare from you, despite your country being among the wealthiest in the world and well able to afford it.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You could also fly to another country that provides free, high standard, universal healthcare. Some countries have even higher quality of care than the US - for free!

It wont be possible because I wont be able to afford the trip and expenses there.

Nope, when it happens it may be a death sentence. I read that marijuana kill cancer cells but I'm skeptical. It'd be the only medicine that'd help my general state of being while the disease progressed and my health worsened.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It might show that prices are cheaper within the aca market place and cause more people to join?

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'd much prefer to know and agree to getting screwed, rather than being lured into it and being told afterward.

Sounds an awful lot like consensual sex vs. rape.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh. And here I was thinking ACA and an EO to make healthcare more affordable with competing prices were both relative to healthcare. Thanks for setting the record straight.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yeah I got the funny bill last year. Supposed to be $450 paid it then someone else sent a bill for $500 then someone else for $300 or something like that. I keep telling them the bill is paid and sent copies of the receipts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join