It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Canned some Brussel Sprouts!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm canning two things this week, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

Tonight I canned the brussel sprouts. Just a small batch, and they were baby brussel sprouts. A little bit of mustard seed, garlic and pepper flakes.

Everything sealed up really well.

Tomorrow I'm going to do pickled Cauliflower with curry and garlic. This stuff is AWESOME!!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

How long will the spouts last?
How big of a batch?

I've only canned beets and cucumbers, fall harvest of course here in Canada. I guess where you're from canning can almost be done from early summer to lake autumn.

I had some pickled hops last year, surprisingly good.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I'm canning two things this week, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

A man after my own heart!

I live on canned stuff from my garden and friendly neighbors winter and spring.

A root cellar helps with other things and I love experimenting with pickling things.

Have you ever tried canning smoked fish? Like trout?

Kinda off topic, but I was wondering because I'm a canning freak.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I'd guess these things would last several years in storage. They never last that long though! We usually gobble them all up in several weeks.

I started canning (and pressure canning) about two years ago. I'm really still in the experimentation stage now.

I canned some beef last year, and tried it this year and it was AWESOME! I canned some 4 years ago, and it still looks great.

I'm really interested in 'fermentation' now, and there's lots of things which work. Fermentation is a whole other level, and the nutrients are beyond spectacular. Fermentation and 'pickling' are similar, but different. Pickling is pretty much just canning. Fermentation is more difficult.

I'm working on some fermented horse radish now. It's just a test. So far it's coming out GREAT!

Tonight's batch of brussel sprouts was just a canning exercise. They'll be delicious in a couple weeks.

I love to do stuff like this.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Never tried canning fish (yet). My guess is, this is at the top end of the canning trade.

I've done candied (smoked) fish before, but never tried canning it.

I suppose it would work (in a pressure canning environment of course), but I've never done it.

Man, of all the salmon and halibut I've caught in the past....this is a great idea!!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

My brother lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba he would always have smoked Goldeye fish which is almost like fish jerky since they are so small.

Anyways, long story short, I looked into smoking various fish and found this video:

It worked, although I had to borrow a pressure cooker. I let one jar sit for six months and it was still good. I think the key is to not over smoke. It really does intensify overtime.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Fermentation is a great process. You should try a very simple recipe, get some local honey, carefully peel and cut the ends off some garlic and then just combine the two in a mason jar.

You can fill half way with raw garlic and then fill with honey until it's all covered, loosely tighten the lid to allow it to 'burp', and watch the honey go from thick to almost like cough syrup. And it tastes great on pork chops, and the garlic after about a month takes on sweet garlic flavor.

If you're afraid of botulism just add a splash of vinegar. If you're getting into fermentation I highly suggest getting some ph strips.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Just gotta' love the "plink, plink...plink" sound of the lids sealing after you pull them out of the water bath.

I usually always back the rings off after I pull them out, just so the lids seal on their own. If they don't, then off to the fridge and yummy eats anyway! Haven't had one not seal yet!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I'm still getting all the right stuff for fermentation. It takes special water seal crocks and weights to keep the veggies down.

I've tried it without these things and had less than spectacular results. It was good, but not as good as I've had from others.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Never tried canning fish (yet). My guess is, this is at the top end of the canning trade.

I've done candied (smoked) fish before, but never tried canning it.

I suppose it would work (in a pressure canning environment of course), but I've never done it.

Man, of all the salmon and halibut I've caught in the past....this is a great idea!!

We have replaced tuna with canned smoked trout over the years.

A smoked trout sandwich as opposed to a tuna sandwich, for instance.

Smoked trout on a salad, as something to put in a cream sauce over a pasta, etc.

You can can it either in water or oil... I use a sunflower oil.

Let's get back to your canning though!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Just gotta' love the "plink, plink...plink" sound of the lids sealing after you pull them out of the water bath.

I usually always back the rings off after I pull them out, just so the lids seal on their own. If they don't, then off to the fridge and yummy eats anyway! Haven't had one not seal yet!

I HAVE to ask... do you use Tattler resealable lids or the Ball ones?

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Those sprouts are gonna give you gas!

I have 3 cases of my grandmothers blue glass half gallon Mason jars from the early 1900s. They are gorgeous!

My gardens are just beginning to produce this year. I have ripe green beans, and Yukon potatoes to dig. The cherry tomatoes are loaded, but not ripe yet. No peppers yet.

Im an all grain advanced brewer. I have a 30 gallon brewery in my garage. Cases of bottles and 3 five gallon stainless kegs, and 2- CO2 tanks
The veggies with curry sounds awesome!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Now, canned trout I've had, and it is off-the-rails good!! Smoked trout canned! I could eat that stuff until I exploded!!

I'm definitely working up to that!!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I a long time ago put some smoked fish into 1/2 pint jars, followed the instructions and canned them in sunflower oil.

The result was smoked salt, as far as taste goes.

So yea, if you are going to can fish then you have to salt light, smoke light.

The flavor really intensifies when you pressure can it.

But practice makes perfect!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Depends. I generally use regular Ball lids, but I've been looking into some of the one-way vent lids for the fermentations.

Lids are cheap, and readily available. I don't have an issue tossing them after the first canning (straight lids that is).

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Those sprouts are gonna give you gas!

I have 3 cases of my grandmothers blue glass half gallon Mason jars from the early 1900s. They are gorgeous!

My gardens are just beginning to produce this year. I have ripe green beans, and Yukon potatoes to dig. The cherry tomatoes are loaded, but not ripe yet. No peppers yet.

Im an all grain advanced brewer. I have a 30 gallon brewery in my garage. Cases of bottles and 3 five gallon stainless kegs, and 2- CO2 tanks
The veggies with curry sounds awesome!

You brew too... I knew I liked you for a reason!

I make a Montana white wheat lager in a 7 point that is rather amazing,,, I have yet to grow my own hops though..

We'll have to get together on the alcohol side of things.

Mostly I do berry wines because I have a lot of free elderberry and chokecherry and huckleberry up here.

ACK... Ms. Derailing here!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

"Just Canned some Brussel Sprouts!"

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Depends. I generally use regular Ball lids, but I've been looking into some of the one-way vent lids for the fermentations.

Lids are cheap, and readily available. I don't have an issue tossing them after the first canning (straight lids that is).

Please look up Tattler reusable canning lids on Amazon.

They changed my canning life...lol

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because he cans.

Besides, they are delicious.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Now, canned trout I've had, and it is off-the-rails good!! Smoked trout canned! I could eat that stuff until I exploded!!

I'm definitely working up to that!!

When I get back to the house I'll PM you my method/recipe.

It's just too good to not share and is not too hard to do with a pressure cooker.

I've been trying to do the same with an Instapot but have much better luck with an old (but loved) 25 quart Presto of my mother's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join