It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnet Fishing with Trueman - Found Another Gun !!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: Shockerking
I think the second item is part of a old anchor.

Could be. I need to search for a photo that matches that item.
Here are some oldanchors After you look at them you might see what I mean by part of one.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Shockerking

I see what you mean now. Now I wonder how you break an anchor like that.

Also can tell now that it's way older than the gun. Washington crossed a bridge and burned near the spot.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Knife and fork witch raft
In Russia, the spoons of the bride and groom from the wedding are tied together and the words: "As these spoons are tied together tightly, may the newlywed be tied to each other."or something similar I think, guess it’s a bit like some people putting the wedding cake under their pillow

I spend a bit of time on the water, should try magnet fishing

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Cool and thanks for sharing, True. I recently got a double- sided magnet for "fishing" but haven't tried it out yet. It's in my truck ready to go though.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Good thing I didn't untie it.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Cool,

I do not mind the rusty look, either,

But needed to figure out a way to preserve them after my oldest findings turned to dust after many years,

Have you lost any magnets yet?
edit on 19-5-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

I lost only one magnet. A cheap one when I started doing this. This one got stuck many times but still with me.

I cover my antiques with a nice coat of varnish spray before I hang them on the wall.
edit on 19-5-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I'm planning taking up magnet fishing this summer. The county I live in, particularly the bit near me, has lots of historic bridges.

Do you have any tips for an absolute beginner?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
Do you have any tips for an absolute beginner?

Sure !

Do not retrieve the magnet too fast, otherwise it will float and won't catch anything. If it gets stuck, move and pull from different angle, usually works.

If you are in a sidewalk next to the water, like I showed at the beginning of the video, throw the magnet sideways.

If you are in a bridge or a place used for boats and kayaks, throw the magnet in a sequence of different angles from 40 to 140 degrees. That will help you to detect the hot spots.

Tie your magnet well, I use the same knot used for fishing hooks.

Look for muddy places, avoid rocky spots. Urban areas are better.

Good luck !

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I notice in a lot of videos stuff gets confiscated, police get called and people get booted. Why is this?

Are they on private property or something? Or, is there something inherently illegal about 'fishing' with a magnet?

Seems to me like it's kind of a favor to the environment, so what's the deal?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I notice in a lot of videos stuff gets confiscated, police get called and people get booted. Why is this?
Are they on private property or something? Or, is there something inherently illegal about 'fishing' with a magnet?
Seems to me like it's kind of a favor to the environment, so what's the deal?

I never had anything confiscated. I know there are places that require a permit. If one day I find a weapon that looks new or still functional, I'll call the cops and I shouldn't keep it.

I've been asked what I was doing by police in some places. Always nice cops and they found super cool what I was doing. I never went to a private property. I always hunt alone too and respect the land.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   

No, I wasn't suggesting you personally do anything wrong. I was just wondering why I see so many videos which say this.

I find the pastime of magnet fishing quite interesting and have even contemplated getting a magnet and trying it at some locations myself.

I do do some metal detecting, and I've found all kinds of cool stuff. I don't have any really fancy gear (like some do) so I'm just an amateur, but it's fun. I think the coolest thing I've found was an old cast iron wood stove (broken in pieces). It was buried in the middle of nowhere with no signs of a house nearby, but there was an old stage coach stop nearby. Only thing I can think of is some westward settler dumped it off a wagon back in the 1800's to lighten their load across this Comanche territory.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Of course I know you didn't suggest I'm doing something wrong !

I just tried to answer your question based in my personal experience.

I've heard little bad experiences from other detectorists. One guy I met in the fields told me someone call the cops on him because he had a knife. It was his digging tool, no sharp edge. They got him in the police records, that sucks !

I try to be friendly with people around and let them ask all they want about what I do. I believe that helps a lot, kids in the parks always come and ask, I feel like Mr. Rogers

The stove you found means there was a home in that spot. Must be more there if nobody else combed the area.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

It would be messed up if that gun was a murder weapon and somebody just tossed it in the river to hide the evidence.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

When I took to the cops the previous gun (part of it) I found in that spot they told me it was too old and destroyed, they wouldn't be able to investigate it. Since is unusable, they let me keep it.

But yeah, if someone throw a gun in the river, must be a reason. One of my goals as detectorist is to find a gun in good shape, film all the steps to give it to the authorities and post a video for educational purposes.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I'd probably be the sort to look into the history of the area for any unsolved gun crimes, and see if there was any reference to the sort of gun used, just to see if there were any links. Won't solve any crimes, but it would be a very interesting endeavour.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

No records of a home, and I checked back a long ways. However, like I noted, there was a stagecoach stop on our property. A lot of the wagon trains followed the old stagecoach routes through this area. Safety in numbers I guess.

I'm an Old West history buff. There are countless stories of settlers coming west with way too much stuff. At the launching points back east there were lots of opportunists selling all manner of stuff they knew the settlers would never get all the way out west with. There are some famous stories about this very thing along the Oregon Trail. At some of the major stopping points settlers would just dump all kinds of stuff to lighten their loads. Their stock was dwindling and their work animals were weakening (as were they). The same opportunists who sold them the stuff would send people out to collect this stuff, and then sell it again to someone else! Some items would get sold 4-5 times over and over.

So, the stove either fell into this category, or some group got ambushed by the Comanche. This area was big Comanche country, and there were numerous attacks all around this area. The prime target of the Comanche were people's horses and without horses (or mules) they were forced to abandon many of their heavier belongings.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I envy all those arrow heads you probably have !

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Metal detectors are very fun too, even the cheapest one can yield amazing results, also same as with magnet fishing, you get to clean lots of junk from places where they do not belong.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This seems like a pretty cool and relaxing hobby, like regular fishing. A few questions: Do you use big regular magnets or neodymium? Do you think one would be better than the other for this? Watched your vid without sound, are you in the UK or US? Are any permits required?

I agree with Shockerking, it does look like a tooth on an old anchor, with the seam around the outside being from the casting mold.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join