It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Question about Geography

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hypothetically, even if man were able to create a device that could allow someone to go back (or forward) through time.... geographically, where would they end up?

The Earth is rotating on its axis and the components of the universe are in constant motion, expanding from each other. So, while I sit here at my desk, were to turn on my hypothetical time machine and travel back in time a while... wouldn’t I end up floating in space?

How would a time machine keep me in the same geographic location after the time jump? Or could it at all?

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

GPS Synchronizer must be properly functioning.

None of the old time travel machines have successfully returned.

There are certain limits on how far back you can go if a two way trip is desired. Check launch and activation dates of appropriate satellites before setting your time displacement.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This problem has been discussed before.

The solution is that the time machine would need to be able to calculate the movement of earths own rotation, earth rotation around the sun, the movement of the solar system as a whole, and galactic movement.

After that it would either have to “stick” to its relative location in space time or calculate where earth will be/was and meet it there.

Just another way that time travel boggles the human mind.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
Hypothetically, even if man were able to create a device that could allow someone to go back (or forward) through time.... geographically, where would they end up?

The Earth is rotating on its axis and the components of the universe are in constant motion, expanding from each other. So, while I sit here at my desk, were to turn on my hypothetical time machine and travel back in time a while... wouldn’t I end up floating in space?

How would a time machine keep me in the same geographic location after the time jump? Or could it at all?

In other words, time travel is not possible.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Obviously, preferably you'd want to have your time machine contained in a craft capable of space and air travel. Then calculate time vector, and travel to the time in the past or future you have chosen. You will arrive in the same position you departed from, at your chosen time, although the planet is orbiting the sun, the galaxy is rotating, and universe is expanding. You will arrive in the exact same space you departed from, and depending on how far in time you've traveled the position of the planet, the solar system and galaxy could be quite different. So you will have to be able to accurately calculate where everything will be from your fixed point in space and time to the point in time you will travel to, wouldn't want to end up inside a planet or star. Of course you'll need the craft to travel to where the earth is in whatever time you've traveled to.

edit on 7-5-2019 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

So if the problem is currently to complex to fully grasp then it will never be possible?

You might as well be a Roman saying man will never walk on the moon.

Insanely difficult doesn’t equal impossible

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That depends on the exact function mechanism of your time machine I guess.

The theoretical time machines I am aware of would only allow travel to the point in spacetime where they've been "activated".

Personally I highly doubt the universe would allow time machines at all. Not only do they mess up causality, the also allow you to generate infinite energy, blow up the whole friggin universe.

The theoretical time machines are a sign that your models are incomplete imho.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

So if the problem is currently to complex to fully grasp then it will never be possible?

You might as well be a Roman saying man will never walk on the moon.

Insanely difficult doesn’t equal impossible

No, that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Time travel as it is popularized in the movies is simply not possible and never will be.

With that said, there is some sort of time travel in that when we look into space, we are seeing things that have happened in the past since it is many light years before we can "see" something given the vast distances.

I just don't see how we could physically travel back in time and experience actual events though.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I just don't see how we could physically travel back in time and experience actual events though.

You don’t understand= it’s impossible

What an intellectually sound argument you’ve made.

There you have it everyone, it’s impossible, close up shop on the time travel question, this guy figured it all out by dismissing the subject all together due to ignorance.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
everything moves in cycles

just pick the right time

with the planet in the same place

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
You're thinking literally and mixing your metaphors by equating travel through space with travel through time. It may not work that way at all. We constantly here from both the scientific world and those involved in metaphysics that "time is not real" or "time is a dimension" or "Time is actually simultaneous." Apparently, according to these folks, we experience time differently than it actually is. Now I do not personally pretend to understand this, but I've heard it enough from many different sources that I have to admit it is a thing. And if it is true that begs the question of the necessity of adjusting for movement. It may simply be taken care of without our intervention.

To those people who insist this "proves" time travel is impossible, bear witness to this quote:

If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
- Arthur C. Clarke

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

You don’t understand= it’s impossible

What an intellectually sound argument you’ve made.

There you have it everyone, it’s impossible, close up shop on the time travel question, this guy figured it all out by dismissing the subject all together due to ignorance.

There are a lot of reasons why it isn't possible. Namely, if you go back in time, you automatically screw up the future or your present. Once you figure out that circular reference please let me know.... so no, I don't think it will ever be possible to go back into the past and stop Hitler because in doing so, you screw up the present...

The only way I can see time travel working is that because of relativity, we could technically be looking into the past or future depending on where we are when communicating.

For example, let's just say we figure out how to travel great distances in space. So we could be say 50 light years away from earth. However, tech might allow us to still communicate in real time with earth somehow. So technically, the people on earth are physically dead but we'd still be communicating with them because of relativity.

It is kind of like how we might actually be seeing stars because of the time difference that actually don't exist anymore. By the time the light gets to us and we can "see" the star... enough time may have passed that said star is no longer there.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I would put my money on something that floats. Ha

If space-time are closely connected you can maybe punch the whole thing in, but it's easier for the computer to read it and include the motion of the solar system. Just the coordinates and it would be like beaming.
Would you want that? Being torn to pieces and rebuilt?
What if just reversing the time is possible? You'd be stuck.
Or you use a blackhole. But the trip to get there is long.
I would only use one that goes both directions with coordinates.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I guess I have a somewhat unique perspective on time travel. You can travel either forward or back, but only within your own lifespan. There can not be two of you, so, you are yourself as you were (or will be) in your own timeline. If you go back ten years you will be yourself exactly as you were ten years ago, same place, same person. This solves all the more common paradox issues.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

If you travel from the present or future to the past your presence in that past and anything you might change will not change anything in this present. You will create an alternative timeline from the point in time you traveled to, if you make changes in that past and return to the present it will be a different present, you will never be able to return to the original present. Although it will still exist.

If you travel from the present to the future, collect information, travel back to this present you can create a different future by altering destinies or outcomes with that information, if you make changes in the present with information from the future, then travel back to the future it will be a different future, a different timeline, you can never go back to the original future you originally traveled to, although it will still exist.

Basic time travel, simplified.

Theoretically, of course.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
There are a lot of reasons why it isn't possible. Namely, if you go back in time, you automatically screw up the future or your present. Once you figure out that circular reference please let me know.... so no, I don't think it will ever be possible to go back into the past and stop Hitler because in doing so, you screw up the present...

Theoretically, space-time travel (which is what it really is to be honest) results in the creation or "leaping" into a different dimensional timeline. So, you cannot "screw up the future" because in that dimensional timeline, the future has not happened yet. The trick is getting back to your original dimensional timeline from the point you left (or later).

Easy peasy....lemon squeezy!
/sarc

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

GPS Synchronizer must be properly functioning.

None of the old time travel machines have successfully returned.

There are certain limits on how far back you can go if a two way trip is desired. Check launch and activation dates of appropriate satellites before setting your time displacement.

Plus you have to have plutonium and a Flux capacitor and the room to reach 88 MPH where ever you wind up so you can come back.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The simplest way would be a transmitter / receiver setup. But that would mean you couldn't go back in time further than the earliest receiver.

I was thinking the concept would make an interesting novel series: The Time Wars.

In Time War 1, a scientist develops a time travel receiver platform. The instant he does, competing factions from the future materialize and fight it out to control the receiver, because whoever controls the earliest receiver platform can shape the future.

In Time War 2, the loosing faction races against a quantum time wave that will change their present to complete a supercomputer that can calculate a safe time jump point prior to the invention of the receiver platform. Even just a few minutes before the receiver platform is invented would be enough to win the war.

In Time War 3, the first faction begins searching the timeline for a significant chronological event that they can zero in on and use as natural receiver. To their surprise, they find an active receiver platform in 10,000 BC ...

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

and cant just worry about their position on earth, as earth is also falling thru space, they could end up billions of miles away

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I'm going with ...If they can make a machine that travels back and forth in time they can probably build in a GPS landing system to make sure you go where and when you intend going.
Imagine going back to see the dinosaurs and ending up in a volcano?
edit on 572019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join