It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR Chat Part 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Good evening all you gamers out there

Its been about nine months since I got into VR... and I must say, it has been pretty amazing... truly, there is only one direction gaming can go now, and VR is it!

in the near future the Oculus Quest is going to be released, along with the new Rift S... and probably 10 different new VR sets. Basically there are a stack of companies jumping on the VR train looking to add their bid to the market. SO IF you're thinking about jumping into VR there will be a number of options available to anyone regardless of what you can afford. From phone based sets like the "gearVR"... to stand alone sets like the Oculus GO, and the upcoming Quest... And of course IF you happen to have a high end gaming PC, you will have the Rift S... HTC Vive… And a number of other systems up to and including the PIMAX which is rather huge, but apparently its pretty awesome!

Myself... I have a PSVR, and an Oculus GO... Both have their features though for the price the GO beats the PSVR in almost every aspect of gaming besides the 6Dof...(IMHO) PSVR has many exclusive titles, but the library is not huge... and the price sony is asking for some of the games is ridiculous to say the least... I have at least 4 games on the GO that PSVR offers at 4x the price but this is typical of Sony... And at approx. $800 for the system, the headset, and the controllers... and the Camera... plus the room space... and set up time... Somehow I can see this system collecting dust (which it already does lately)…..

Whereas the Oculus GO is exactly that... slap it on and GO... and at and very reasonable $250 for the base 32g... or $327 for the 64g... there is little question as to which system is better... Though I can hear you PSVR fans out there screaming at your screens! Yes I know, the games on the PSVR are far superior!! This is undeniably true.... PSVR is great for their exclusive titles... and im sure its only a matter of time until Microsoft jumps into the fray and releases their own VR set, which will have their own exclusive titles... also fantastic!

Except theres more... there is a way to play SteamVR games on the less powerful systems...

That's right... you can play Rift/HTC games on the GearVR… or the Oculus GO!!

Enter... ALVR

Air Light VR... a program that lets a powerful gaming PC interact with a simple VR device to let people play some of those Rift games they've always wanted to try...

When I heard about this it wasn't a big deal... I was still growing my VR legs... but for the past few months I've been looking into an older game Called "Elite Dangerous"... a space game that gives the player and simulated full Milky way galaxy to cruise around in and explore... mine or be a pirate... etc etc... again its an older game so im sure many of you lovely people have heard of it at the very least... but apparently in VR, it is a thing to behold... to many one of the all time best Virtual reality experiences to date!!

This brings be back to ALVR... so after deciding that Elite dangerous in VR is something I want to play... I decide to install and try ALVR...

A few months back, I got a game called "Subnautica" for free... it was a 10 day sale... er….give away

This is a game that is completely compatible with VR... And It happens to work on ALVR perfectly... which was the reason I picked it up in the first place...

Tonight I finally figured out all the bugs with the ALVR program... Pretty nifty... I get the full HTC home setting on my Oculus GO which I wasn't expecting... but what I really wasn't expecting was SUBNAUTICA VR!!

OMG!!… This game is Frickin Amazing.... Like Scary Good!!

This is completely thrilling to me because now I can't wait to play "Elite Dangerous" in VR...

That's right ladies and Gents.... VR is the Future of Gaming!!

And this is only the beginning....

Thanks for stopping by....

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Will wait another 5 or 10 years, till there are really good VR devices and games out there and a way to play them with the same precision a mouse and keyboard offers. Don´t know how that should work, especially when you can´t see the real-life environment around yourself because of the VR device on your nose.

I know that it works with racing games, if you sit in your seat and know exactly where your steering wheel and all that is. I know some people which are "playing" sim racing, events with championships, live broadcasting of the races with a TV like reporter and all that. But these guys all use VR only for sim racing. They try one of these VR games called demos from time to time for an hour or two, but then they are back in front of their monitor, with their mouse and keyboard in their hands, to play normal games. One of these guys even sold his VR device when he needed money. He said that this is the part of the gaming computer he can easily forego, because it´s not really often used. And sim racing works without VR too.

To Subnautica, for me it´s another failure in a long list of early access so called survival games. It´s not a survival game, as most of them. But then it is not even a good exploring or crafting/building game, it´s tedious and boring after a couple of hours. Shelved and forgotten after playing 20 or 30hrs. And i even paid for it. But there are better so called survival games out there, with more freedom to do things when you want them to do, with open worlds and stuff like that. Subnautica makes me feel like a little child that was taken by the hand and the game tells you exactly when you have to do what, when you have to go where etc, not much freedom. And absolutely not a bit of a survival feeling. It´s more like a walking sim and collecting stuff following a line, just under water. Don´t know if it´s another game when played with VR, but i don´t think so.

I would use a VR device now if there would be enough interactive documentaries, where i could visit places and times i will never be able to visit in my real life. For gaming my 1080TI and a UHD monitor plus my mouse and a keyboard are enough, i like it and need it to see and hear the environment around me while playing. I can´t even stand my gaming headset for more then one or two hours, i feel like being in a bubble then, cutted off from the reality. A VR device would make that feeling worse.

But in a couple of years, when these devices are good enough, when there is enough and really good software for these VR devices, when a good solution for the controlling is found and they will cost what a UHD monitor nowadays costs, i will maybe buy such a thing. But maybe it´s like with so many hyped things, maybe it will stay a overpriced but immature gadget for technic or computerfreaks like it is now, who knows.

They can wake me up when they have a fully working Holo-Deck, that would be the next thing that would blow my mind when it comes to gaming. Till then it´s ok to play like we play since decades. With a decent computer, a good monitor plus mouse and keyboard. Like nearly all of the gamers worldwide do, yet.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Will wait another 5 or 10 years, till there are really good VR devices and games out there and a way to play them with the same precision a mouse and keyboard offers. Don´t know how that should work, especially when you can´t see the real-life environment around yourself because of the VR device on your nose.

one question... have you tried VR yet?

I know that it works with racing games, if you sit in your seat and know exactly where your steering wheel and all that is. I know some people which are "playing" sim racing, events with championships, live broadcasting of the races with a TV like reporter and all that. But these guys all use VR only for sim racing. They try one of these VR games called demos from time to time for an hour or two, but then they are back in front of their monitor, with their mouse and keyboard in their hands, to play normal games. One of these guys even sold his VR device when he needed money. He said that this is the part of the gaming computer he can easily forego, because it´s not really often used. And sim racing works without VR too.

Of course every gamer has their thing... can't stand racing games myself...

But in a couple of years, when these devices are good enough, when there is enough and really good software for these VR devices, when a good solution for the controlling is found and they will cost what a UHD monitor nowadays costs, i will maybe buy such a thing. But maybe it´s like with so many hyped things, maybe it will stay a overpriced but immature gadget for technic or computerfreaks like it is now, who knows.

But... Good enough is more then already available...

I mean the nest step is haptic games... touch VR... and it exists already...

They can wake me up when they have a fully working Holo-Deck, that would be the next thing that would blow my mind when it comes to gaming. Till then it´s ok to play like we play since decades. With a decent computer, a good monitor plus mouse and keyboard. Like nearly all of the gamers worldwide do, yet.

Well... IF you can afford a holo deck... can I come over and play?

Please?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I have a PSVR, honestly at this stages is basically a gimmick. Ace combat was amazing but I quickly got bored, Astrobot was but but then you realise how repetitive it is. I have a few other games for it but they don’t even come anywhere close to being as good as standard games.

The system itself is decent but I get a lot of Mura effect which can ruin the enjoyment. There is also really bad screen drift making movie mode useless when compounded by that horrible grain effect. Some games I can only play for short spells before I get motion sickness. Most games are more like over priced demos or might only have one or two missions that can use VR

It’s just not something I would recommend anyone waist money on. I think though we are looking at the first generation of this tech and in 5 years or so it will be a much more viable option, although PSVR is going to be compatible with the ps5 so we are along way off.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yeah... issues with the PSVR are pretty bad..

bloody head set crushes my brain...

the resolution isn't great, Though Superhot is Fantastic!! Totally worth the pain... lol

Setting the damn thing up is barely worth it, but my living room is a little cramped...

Oculus GO is brilliant in comparison... And when the Quest is finally revealed the PSVR is almost useless to me..

Unless they come out with something crazy...

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

(About Subnautica: Don´t know if it´s another game when played with VR,
but i don´t think so.

Oh man... It's an entirely different game....

VR is not the same as flat screen gaming... The scale of everything is real life...

Its indescribable to those that haven't been there

VR Chat

edit on 26-4-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I refuse to even read these threads... I finally upgraded the PC to a VR capable machine.. but I cannot afford the gear yet.. and not sure when I can. I am sad.
my entire life I've been fascinated by 3D. No one else was.. and when VR came out in the 80's and there were dinky places with amigas running blocky animations in a VR space, I was enthralled, but not paying for that.. must be a way.

Now in the age where everyone has a PC, a computer in their phone, when I was once mocked for hogging the landline 24/7 on BBS's, everyone else has VR and not me... sure, sure, I have google cardgoard, a fancy headset, and a phone that gives me miserable resolution and lacklustre applications.

I WAN A VIBE..

watched some idiot recently on youtube spend 24 hours in minecraft... and all I could think was, why....

est quod est..

mundus vult decipi.. and I will be deceived..

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

dude its possible with google cardboard and a decent Samsung phone...……..

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
VR seems really cool but i don't want to risk my eye health. I already wear strong glasses, and use my phone and labtop alot.

Having a screen that close for such long periods of time seems unhealthy for people who don't have great eyes.

Otherwise i would be excited for it.
edit on 26-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Beat sabre. 'Nuff said!

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

I wouldn't be worried about that. The lenses force your eyes to use distance, so it's not the same as having a screen right up close. Have this from a mate who's an optician so it's on reasonable grounds 😀

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Funny to see all the people seem to have doubts. If you can save 2 or 3 thousand USD (mostly for the PC), the Occulus is amazing. Simply amazing. The only problem I have seen it that I do get tired sometimes quicker that I would relative to regular pc games. Still though, VR almost makes old games seem pointless.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I dunno. As much as I love VR I still go back to old school. Just bought a Mega NT so definitely not over 2d just yet 😁

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: youcanttellthepeople
a reply to: Fools

I dunno. As much as I love VR I still go back to old school. Just bought a Mega NT so definitely not over 2d just yet 😁

Yeah, for instance I can't see any valid reason to play CIV on VR. Basically most strategy type games really don't fit into the VR scheme as far as I can see.

I just bought a meditation "game" that I am going to try at some point. I am thinking that is going to be neat.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: youcanttellthepeople
Beat sabre. 'Nuff said!

Ye know... beat sabre looks fun, but i just can't convince myself to buy it...

Maybe i'll grab it on sale one day...

No mans sky VR looks amazing... apparently it bombed when it came out... and now you can't find a copy in store because of the VR update...

still looking... and im not paying $60 for it

new topics

top topics

join