It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida voting laws - restoring voting rights for felons - US presidency possibly at stake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   
** edit - The change in law would allow for the restoration of voting rights of over 1.6 million felons - which is why this could swing the vote so much. I'm not sure how the metrics change with the law, but that 1.6 million would not have been legible before the ballot/law was passed.

For those who don't know what happened in Florida, it is a VERY important state law that allows felons to get their voting rights restored (except murderer's or sexual offenders) once their time is served, probation/parole is completed and any associated rulings against the person are fulfilled. This is very important b/c of Florida being a swing state and we all know what happened last November with Broward Co. I think there needs to be a federal investigation into Broward Co (and any other county that might have committed voter fraud) because this law will most likely be able to swing the vote for the presidency - which absolutely mandates a full investigation into what happened with all the found votes (from the storage unit, trunks of cars, moving vans, etc) that allowed this ballot to pass.

There is currently a little controversy about what "completing court ordered sentence & rulings" means, as in many cases criminals are ordered to pay court fees, fines, restitution and other fees/fines which are a ruling made by the judge at the time of sentencing. This is no different than a person getting their license suspended for some reason for 1 year and being ordered to pay $1000 fine and upon completion of these rulings, they may have their drivers license reinstated. Leftists/Democrats are claiming that the state is implementing a "poll tax" in order to vote - which is absolutely ridiculous.

The point of a punitive ruling against a criminal is that there are multiple aspects to the ruling, prison time and whatever else the judge decides is acceptable. I can't even imagine how democrats can claim this is racism when the same law effects all felons and to bring up Jim Crow era "poll tax" is directly injecting racism into this issue and is classic leftist deflection tactics where they don't want to follow laws which they don't like.

www.politico.com...

www.nbcnews.com...

www.tampabay.com...

www.reuters.com...

edit on 4 15 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

edit on 4 15 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof
Thanks for taking notice as this thread really brings an important issue that needs proper discussion.

As far as the thread goes I am not really up to date on what is going on in Florida. But this is interesting and warrants further investigation on my behalf. Thanks for bringing this up and I will look more into it.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   

All states restore voting rights for felons, the conditions to restore them vary by the state though.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I'm not sure TBH. I know that in the first link it said that in one year there were something like 100,000 people who got rights restored in FL and then then next year only 3,000. What has changed, I think, is the metrics used to determine if someone is eligible, because the whole deal is that there are 1.6 million felons who would be eligible to vote if things progress the way the democrats want it.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Leftists/Democrats are claiming that the state is implementing a "poll tax" in order to vote - which is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems Poll Tax is different in the U.S to the U.K, it seems the original Poll Taxes were an attempt to stop black folks voting. Whereas here in the U.K the Tory Government of 1989, under Thatcher, it wass a per-capita tax levied on every adult, (also known as a head tax) and wasn't dependent on income. She decided to test this sceme on Scotland (after she took free milk from our schools)...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   

i am a 30 year resident in florida. broward county has had heavy democratic corruption for 20 years. it is spreading thru state we wont be republican much longer

edit on 15-4-2019 by fightzone58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Why on earth would one assume that all felons are Democrats?????? It was Clinton that enacted the 3 strikes thing that got so mant locked up.

Has anyone polled these dudes? I would expect they might LIKE Trump with his attempts to reform prison sentencing.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
IMO, one of the biggest mistakes a society can make is to pursue punitive justice in terms that are unnecessary and excessive. It's fair enough to give a felon prison time to reflect and (frankly) to remove a dangerous person from a situation where they have demonstrated they can and will cause serious harm. At least until it can be reasonably assessed that this person can move on and not be a danger.

I see no benefit at all in stripping them of basic human dignity and just pointlessly beating them down for the rest of their life. There really is no benefit in that for them and really there is no benefit to society. Especially if you're going to ever let them out. The last thing you want is someone who is potentially dangerous running around who feels like they don't have a voice. Voting is (supposedly) a system that gives every person the basic right to speak.

I never saw any benefit in depriving criminals of the right to vote even while serving their sentences.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Why on earth would one assume that all felons are Democrats?????? It was Clinton that enacted the 3 strikes thing that got so mant locked up.

Has anyone polled these dudes? I would expect they might LIKE Trump with his attempts to reform prison sentencing.

Something like 1/3 of black people are criminal felons. Black people vote Democrat. That's what this is about.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Rehabilitation for those who can be is impossible because we won't do what is necessary with those who can't be. That means putting the 2 together, which means those who are not as bad have to become worse to survive.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Gotcha. So 66% compared to 33%? Still looks like that would favor the R,s. Unless of course all criminals are D,s.

And lets be honest...what percent are gonna vote? How are they gonna make it to the polling station? Gonna be one hell of a chain gang. And talk about voter intimidation.....wait til 1000 brothers show up in orange suits chained up together.

Wait....orange suits? Hmmmm.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Once you serve your time you should get your rights restored.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Because roughly 93% of felons who have petitioned to get thier voting rights reinstated vote Democrat historically, according to polls.

You know, because they are more comfortable with their own kind.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Once you serve your time you should get your rights restored.

You think they should be allowed to vote before satisfying the sentence issued by a judge? So to h3ll with restitution, fines, fees, etc? Is that not part of the sentence issued by a judge?

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I dont think peeps got anything to fear. And if you do your time, then ALL your rights should be restored. I have known dudes who have had that felon tag and cannot even get a mcdonalds job. So....shocked face here... they turn back to crime.

www.google.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

My comment was quite short and very to the point, not sure how you aren't understanding what I said.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Then people should have no problem restoring the second amendment right.

No wait I don't know what I was thinking.

Selective liberty is the name of the game in this snip hole of a country.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I don't even have a problem with most of them voting while they're locked up.

Many if not most are imprisoned for victimless crimes.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Here in SC if it's a non-violent felony, you automatically get your voting rights back once your sentence is complete (time served, probation, etc).

Violent offenders have a different process for it, but it can also be done.

Considering that if you're an ex-felon and work, you still get taxed, I have no issues with them voting.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It was a ballot issue here in Florida and both the right and left voters passed it.

It was us Florida voters that made the decision not the legislators and it was us that that voted for the Republican Governor and Senate candidates.

This was what was on the ballot when I voted.

No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis.

I honestly can't fathom why that is so hard for my legislators to follow. They are so worthless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join