It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists put human gene into monkeys to make them smarter, human-like

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So, I guess these scientists never watched the ending to Planet of the Apes but:

www.brecorder.com...

For the first time, a team of Chinese scientists made use of gene-editing techniques to make monkey brains more human-like. By the end, the monkeys, rhesus macaques, got smarter and had superior memories as compared to the unaltered monkeys.

Researchers edited the human version of a gene known as ‘MCPH1’ into the macaques. The gene made the monkeys’ brain develop along a more human-like timeline. The gene-hacked monkeys showed better reaction times and improved short-term memories in comparison to their unaltered peers, as per China Daily.

They said that a transgenic monkey model is practical and to a large extent can imitate the human-specific status.

www.technologyreview.com...

According to their findings, the modified monkeys did better on a memory test involving colors and block pictures, and their brains also took longer to develop—as those of human children do. There wasn’t a difference in brain size.

“The use of transgenic monkeys to study human genes linked to brain evolution is a very risky road to take,” says James Sikela, a geneticist who carries out comparative studies among primates at the University of Colorado. He is concerned that the experiment shows disregard for the animals and will soon lead to more extreme modifications.

Apocalyptic science fiction movies are supposed to be warnings not a source for ideas. I'm just going to say, this is probably a bad idea for a bunch of reasons.
edit on 11/4/2019 by dug88 because: Added second more detailed link

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

What could possibly go wrong? Lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

If the US and other Western Countries do not get on board studying and mastering this type of thing we are soon going to get left in the dust by genetically augmented super people from China. This is not a joke. They will not hesitate to use anything to discover that is beneficial on human subjects.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's how we get Dawn of the Planet of the Apes!

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, whatever the Lawgiver says is fine by me.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

It doesn't matter who studies or masters this thing, it's frightening when you think of what could go wrong. But, mankind will never be satisfied and will keep playing around with things he probably shouldn't.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
All I will say is,as in the days of Noah...

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I agree totally. It brings to mind the age-old question: We can do this, but should we?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well that’s got Planet of the Apes written all over it. What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In the words of Han Solo "I got a bad feeling about this..."

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
All I will say is,as in the days of Noah...
Uh Hmmm. If God allows it.
We know how things turned out before

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Or the beginning of it... To see how it all started.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I can see the outcome of this!

A bunch of monkeys marching down the streets saying, "Who's streets? Our Streets!".

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
So these scientists are playing Anunnaki. I wonder if they plan to have the monkeys dig for gold?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Isn’t this basically what some people think the aliens from Nibiru did to monkeys to get us humans

They put a little of them into the apes and out came humans

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This sort of thing was what Nietzsche was referring to. He wasn't coming up with a new rally cry for atheism..

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Oooh Dr. Zaius!

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe they should trying putting this magic juice into people to make them smarter.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I've been watching videos of the longtail macaques that inhabit the temple ruins in Angkor Wat, Cambodia, for two years now. I've gotten a pretty good handle on their behavior.

Other members should take a look, then factor in possible human components and behaviors.

Scary.

This sort of scientific carelessness is well beyond acceptable ethics.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Wonder what Christians think about this?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join