It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Marvel Faces Boycott Backlash Over Brie Larson’s ‘Man-Hating’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
if the correct context = the lopsided demographic of white males in the movie reviews

wont someone please think of the children ???????????

almost all movie reviews are written by adults - yet over 1/4 movie are targeted at kids

wheres the " ooutrage " that kids views on kids movies = under represented ???????????

yes - adults generally buy the tickets - but thier rugrats pester them to death to take them to a specific movie

yet no < 16 mainstream movie revieres - go figure

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Cpt. Marvel's real problem is a narrative one.

She's supposed to be helping to construct a new type of narrative around the new type of hero, the feminist hero, instead of the standard male hero. The problem is that all they've really done here is present us a flawed hero's journey with a Mary Sue in the place of the hero. One of the pivotal moments in the a hero's journey is when the hero is in extremis and you feel like they could really fail, could really die ... Why do you think Superman has kryptonite? It's so you can reach that moment and feel that suspense.

But Captain Marvel is the perfect empowered woman. She can't show weakness. She's the Mary Sue. So the moment for her that could best have been pivotal is more like flipping on a switch to her cosmic powers and then she trashes everyone without missing a beat because she's that stupid powerful.

People find Mary Sue's annoying for a reason that has nothing to do with their gender. They're boring. That Larson's manner off screen has been sort of abrasive hasn't helped matters.
edit on 10-4-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

originally posted by: watchitburn
I think people just like to be outraged, especially on the internet.

I saw it, it was fine. Nothing spectacular, but it was a fun Marvel movie.

I didn't notice any extremely overt SJWness. I think it was mostly Larson's comments in whatever interview that was that triggered people. But I don't watch movies based on stupid people's stupid opinions.

I'll agree with that considering Chris evens and the guy who plays the hulk is way far left.

Lots of it is the way the comics are currently. marvel comics are straight progressive propaganda and are tanking in sales.

Thors a woman, wolverines a woman, icemans gay, Ironman a black female, captain marvel is a lesbian now I think.... Don't quote me on that. I'm all for diversity but it gets to the point where they're just pandering to progressives. Just give us good stories not BS virtue signaling

Thanks, that was pretty much my point.
If they want new gay, black, tranny bi-curious furrry lesbian heros I'm sure there are artists and writers out there who will create them.
I fail to see the logic in changing comics that everyone has grown up with and loved for generations. Make something new.

But the movies are fine, I think they're entertaining. It's the TV shows like supergirl that went way off into the leftist propaganda twilight zone. Those shows are completely unwatchable.
The movies though are fine, and I don't pay attention to actors opinions. These are people who play make-believe for a living. Sure they can be nice to look at sometimes, but I'm not interested in the vapid meanderings of what passes for their thoughts.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I mean, Brie Larson is pretty wretched as a person, but also actively terrible at acting. The movie's pretty not great regardless of her politics.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

The logic is "risk aversion".

Less risky to change something established, rather than introduce something entirely new.

There have been lots of new super heroes over the years, Marvel is very aware of the success rate, seems to be about 1 in 20 or less will stick (quite costly to find a winner), and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason over the last couple decades about what gender/race/origin story/orientation/etc. will work. All types have had failures and successes.

I don't mind them changing characters, but what I do mind is rushed story telling, and not committing. Too many changes in the span of 6 years (which is lightning fast in the comic world), risks destabilizing the entire MCU construct. Most of the changed characters recently have left avenues for the originals to come back. Mostly they just "retired" them. So when the new version doesn't work, they can conveniently bring them back the old guard.

Sloppy in my opinion... if you're going to make a change, make it significant and stick to it.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I think people just like to be outraged, especially on the internet.

I saw it, it was fine. Nothing spectacular, but it was a fun Marvel movie.

I didn't notice any extremely overt SJWness. I think it was mostly Larson's comments in whatever interview that was that triggered people. But I don't watch movies based on stupid people's stupid opinions.

Exactly. People are looking to be outraged. Left or right. I know one person who saw the movie and didn't like it. They never once mentioned any hardcore SJW propaganda.

People just want to jump on the hate train. How is Larson's comments going to affect your life? Why do you care?

By hating her for her comments you are in turn giving celebrities more power over you. Then once you give them that power, you complain that hollywood actors should shut their mouth and stop influencing. Its hypocrisy!

(By you i meant people in general)
edit on 11-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

CW superhero shows are painful to watch but I do enjoy the flash

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This video explains what I'm driving at starting with Wesley Crusher and going up through Rey.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
They had to hire a stunt double for her butt to try to fill the role of her back side to appease a male audience. So much for getting a point across.

Looking forward to Rogue stealing her powers an put her in a coma.
edit on 12-4-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It like what Stan Lee said if he ever wrote Batman or Superman. Batman( or even watchmen) would be easier and is much more compelling to write due to his limitations of being human and the realism that goes behind it. He could be written in various ways, wether comicy or campy to a detective/mystery, to horror themed character to a wide range of fantasy to even fight Superman.

Superman, everyone know he going to win which is why they have to nerf him alot to make it look like hes struggling. All the while his best stories are about how human like he is. Thing is like Lee said, he been around so long that he boring, but trying to change him would be blasphemous.( Not in those exact words, but close)

You both know they are going to win, it just how they do it that makes them entertaining.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join