It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Marvel Faces Boycott Backlash Over Brie Larson’s ‘Man-Hating’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I didn't see the movie. Redbox!
From what I've heard from friends it was just a meh movie.
Based on a meh superhero to begin with.

The trailer for this one sure didn't do much to excite me either.
I'm hitting Shazam this weekend...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wonder Woman was better by far.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Artemis12

news.yahoo.com...

Samantha Chang ,CCN•March 8, 2019

‘We Are Sick and Tired of SJW Politics’ Posobiec told CCN that Larson’s anti-male rhetoric and Marvel Studio’s injection of leftist politics into the action film is insulting and unwarranted. He underscored that movie fans go to the theater to be entertained — not to be indoctrinated and brainwashed with left-wing propaganda.

Old news??

Well since end game is April 25th its not really old news considering captain marvel is set up to be the savior of the avengers.

You didn't see any outrage over wonder woman the only really good DC movie. Just progressives pissed she had shaved armpits

Plus captain marvel is lame and over powered like superman except superman has kryptonite.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

She never said she hates white men.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I think people just like to be outraged, especially on the internet.

I saw it, it was fine. Nothing spectacular, but it was a fun Marvel movie.

I didn't notice any extremely overt SJWness. I think it was mostly Larson's comments in whatever interview that was that triggered people. But I don't watch movies based on stupid people's stupid opinions.

I'll agree with that considering Chris evens and the guy who plays the hulk is way far left.

Lots of it is the way the comics are currently. marvel comics are straight progressive propaganda and are tanking in sales.

Thors a woman, wolverines a woman, icemans gay, Ironman a black female, captain marvel is a lesbian now I think.... Don't quote me on that. I'm all for diversity but it gets to the point where they're just pandering to progressives. Just give us good stories not BS virtue signaling

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

So all those White pissed off Men boycotting her were joking?

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12

Yes, and all changes they made, including the outfit were smart. The only thing I didn't like is to see Steve Trevor die. The queen of the amazons was so hot that almost stole the thunder.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Brie is sexist and racist with her comments and that's why refuse to see Captain Marvel. I have heard some of her press conferences and I was very offended from how she spoke of men and white people. Like she did not what any white male movie critics reviewing her movie. I have seen and enjoyed all the Marvel Universe movies but this one I will pass on.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I don't often see Men complain about things like this...

LOL! I wish I didn't!!!

I really had to search to track all this down, and now that I have, it's really pretty damn sad. Someone is poking the White male bear, but it's not Brie Larson.

Context is everything. Her comments regarding white male reviewers was made at an industry function, addressing the industry's use of critics in marketing and distribution of films, in which white male opinions were over represented when compared with audience and population demographics. This was not a blanket statement about White men and their opinions; it was a statement about the over-representation of their opinions and the exclusion (or at least subjugation) of other opinions.

To break it down, her position is that the general population comprises 30% White men, 30% White women, 20% men of color, and 20% women of color. She would like the pool of critics used by the industry to represent those demographics, as opposed to 70% of those critics being White men.

I'm pretty sure the greater problem is that movie-making is a for-profit industry, and the White male demographic is the greatest profit generator. In other words, White men buy the most movie tickets. So while Ms. Larson would prefer to hear the opinion of Black women regarding a movie about Black women, as Ms. Larson also points out, Black women may be the smallest demographic seeing the movie, whereas White men would be the largest demographic... and the industry is going to follow the money. Obviously.

So now I ask myself who would benefit most from deflecting her criticism of the industry to White males? Two answers immediately come to mind:

1. Those in the industry who feign social justice values but are quite happy to put those on the back burner if they can make more money catering to the White male demographic.

2. Those in politics who want to enrage the White male demographic in their divide-and-conquer campaign.

For anyone interested, here is the video of Ms. Larson's comments:

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I don't know what to tell you.

I feel like this was blown way out of proportion. Like most things on the internet are.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I saw the movie.

I stared at her boobs and butt.

The movie was okay.

*shrugs*

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Such as?
You must have at least a couple examples..

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm with you on this one, Redbox all the way. Although I did that with Into the Spiderverse and kinda regretting it, for an animated film it's pretty dang good. I almost did it with Thor Ragnarok as well, since the first two movies were meh, glad I didn't as that one was pretty solid. That's how it's been with the stand-alone entries though, they're generally just okay, not something you'd go out of your way to see. The ones where the whole ensemble gets together are the ones to see in the theater, because at least you know you'll get some eye candy.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I don't often see Men complain about things like this...

LOL! I wish I didn't!!!

I really had to search to track all this down, and now that I have, it's really pretty damn sad. Someone is poking the White male bear, but it's not Brie Larson.

Context is everything. Her comments regarding white male reviewers was made at an industry function, addressing the industry's use of critics in marketing and distribution of films, in which white male opinions were over represented when compared with audience and population demographics. This was not a blanket statement about White men and their opinions; it was a statement about the over-representation of their opinions and the exclusion (or at least subjugation) of other opinions.

To break it down, her position is that the general population comprises 30% White men, 30% White women, 20% men of color, and 20% women of color. She would like the pool of critics used by the industry to represent those demographics, as opposed to 70% of those critics being White men.

I'm pretty sure the greater problem is that movie-making is a for-profit industry, and the White male demographic is the greatest profit generator. In other words, White men buy the most movie tickets. So while Ms. Larson would prefer to hear the opinion of Black women regarding a movie about Black women, as Ms. Larson also points out, Black women may be the smallest demographic seeing the movie, whereas White men would be the largest demographic... and the industry is going to follow the money. Obviously.

So now I ask myself who would benefit most from deflecting her criticism of the industry to White males? Two answers immediately come to mind:

1. Those in the industry who feign social justice values but are quite happy to put those on the back burner if they can make more money catering to the White male demographic.

2. Those in politics who want to enrage the White male demographic in their divide-and-conquer campaign.

For anyone interested, here is the video of Ms. Larson's comments:

Thank you, you explained that well, will be interesting to see if it enlightens anyone. Doughtful though as it seems like context has become irrelevant these days.

Critical thinking and comprehension skills are thin on the ground so those with divisive intent can too easily use out of context quotes to stir up thier target audience knowing that the content will be taken only at face value.

I also think some people just like to be offended, gives 'em a nice little squirt of dopamine and a few stars and flags from thier fellow outrageaholics on ATS.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackIbanez

Thank you, you explained that well...

Thank you. I'm glad it's appreciated --

Critical thinking and comprehension skills are thin on the ground so those with divisive intent can too easily use out of context quotes to stir up thier target audience knowing that the content will be taken only at face value.

-- For exactly this reason. It's important to understand the context in which something is said -- including those statements before and after the cherry-picked quotation -- and to give the person the opportunity to explain their words and thoughts, and even to expand on those words and thoughts where necessary and appropriate.

I also think some people just like to be offended, gives 'em a nice little squirt of dopamine and a few stars and flags from thier fellow outrageaholics on ATS.

Yes, sadly, that is increasingly becoming the norm for too many -- but not just here on ATS. I don't understand it... but I guess that's my own arrogance getting in my way? My standards are my standards, and I live up to them the best I can with the full realization that no matter what I do or don't do, someone will find something to criticize. Can't please everyone, so I'll please myself! As long as they have no power over me, they're welcome to think what they want!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'd call over a billion dollars in revenue world-wide a failed boycott...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

You can't use world wide box office for a US boycott. Plus probably30 plus million of domestic was self purchased tickets as a counter to the boycott so there is that...

Jaden
edit on 10-4-2019 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackIbanez

You can't shame people into a group think. That really took off during the Obama Worship era and hasn't slowed down since.

People are more than annoyed by SJW loud mouthed Larsen because of the last 10 years of having it forcibly shoved up their anal cavities non stop. This anger is the result of that, and not just this one lonely event itself.
edit on 10-4-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12

Hmmmm. Is it because you agree with Gadot in her statements that celebrated the death of innocent women & children in Gaza?

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I saw the movie.

I stared at her boobs and butt.

The movie was okay.

*shrugs*

The woman's got like no ass whatsoever, dude. It's like two flapjacks stuffed down the back of her superbritches.

and, as to the OP topic...

The movie was a snipshow, but then Marvel has had a couple of those the past few years and the worst ones seem to garner the biggest audiences, like Black Panther did...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join