It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levitating Obects using onlyLight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It may help in explaining the pyramids

Researchers at Caltech have designed a way to levitate and propel objects using only light, by creating specific nanoscale patterning on the objects' surfaces

Read more at: phys.org...
edit on 20-3-2019 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Wow that is insane. I've also heard a theory that voice vibration by chanting was used to move the pyramids.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

Exactly what don't you understand about the pyramids? Seems obvious to me they're made of enormous dressed sandstone blocks. WTF is nanoscale about that?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
“Though still theoretical, the work is a step toward developing a spacecraft that could reach the nearest planet outside of our solar system in 20 years, powered and accelerated only by light.”

Read more at: phys.org...

Well not going to put any in my bikes fuel tank am I
I wonder if you buy it by the litre or gallon

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
It may help in explaining the pyramids

Not really.
Beer-fuelled human workforce can explain the pyramids.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nice OP, if we as a species make it for another 50 years there could be some serious advancments/changes to how we live today.

I once pointed a torch light at a fly, it stayed in the air for a while, is that the same

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Photons will impart momentum, but only a very small amount. This would need a ridiculous amount of power for the laser

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Photons will impart momentum, but only a very small amount. This would need a ridiculous amount of power for the laser
I suspect a laser with enough photon energy to life granite blocks of that kind of mass would instantly vaporize them sooner than move them.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Wow that is insane. I've also heard a theory that voice vibration by chanting was used to move the pyramids.

Where were they originally then?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Light is a powerful tool to manipulate matter, but existing approaches often necessitate focused, high-intensity light that limits the manipulated object’s shape, material and size. Here, we report that self-stabilizing optical manipulation of macroscopic—millimetre-, centimetre- and even metre-scale—objects could be achieved by controlling the anisotropy of light scattering along the object’s surface. In a scalable design that features silicon resonators on silica substrate, we identify nanophotonic structures that can self-stabilize when rotated and/or translated relative to the optical axis.

nature.com - Self-stabilizing photonic levitation and propulsion of nanostructured macroscopic objects.

They are not talking a light sail where you "push it" with light!

It is the pattern along the surface that interferes constructively providing that momentum push. They also said they can autocorrect if one side is pushed too much over the other.

And honestly, I don't know if it will work but it is truly one crazy idea which is probably why I like it!

top topics

join