It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For dogstar23...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I moved to Anchorage, Alaska, in 1990 and had a great introduction to “the big town” from the “real” university town of Fairbanks where I was residing as a Raman noodle eating student studying computer science.

I found my spot where a bunch of college kids would hangout and get drunk and dance to music the DJ would play. We would get high and dance our ass off to bands like Joy Division and New Order, then the Cure, the Cult, and always in the background, the Clash.

I always dug the punk rock sounds.

So imagine my surprise when I went to to a show for a band I had never heard of when I first got down to Anchorage after college.

I saw the rehabbed version of Sweet Water in the 10th row. And Jesus! My world changed!!

The singer was like Freddy Mercury. The band was better than April Wine. And they played a style that would become to be known as grunge.

I was hooked. When AiC, Nirvana, Soundgarden (and heck, even Pearl Jam), hit the scene, I knew Seattle had struck again to make its mark.

I have called them the “Granddads of Grunge” like the media have done but they are so much more to me.

Seeing them changed me. My world grew bigger. I fell in love.

As far as I know, dogstar23 is the only ATS member who knows who Sweet Water is, has listened to them before, and and will appreciate this thread.

Sweet Water has a new EP out called Firebird. And it is very old school Who/punk sounding.

Search and download. Good stuff!!

At least to the person that this thread is named after!!

Lame live video to turn judgemental people off...

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

There was the 1st Sweetwater in the hippie 60's...got quite famous...girl w tambourine n all.....Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company...

Might look into them...tho prob not your style...still got an album or two...seen them once w Seger/Nugent, MC5...

Your bands version here is pretty good!

Original "Sweetwater" 1st band Woodstock '69..but where stopped by police on the way...Richie Havens replaced them then

edit on 9-3-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The new EP is pretty damn good.

Just sayin’

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yeah, I get it. Other band was around and did stuff. Soo what?!

These guys [SW] created a new genre of music.

That is a big difference.

They were heroin addicts before that was a “thing”. And they got clean before that was a thing.

That other band didn’t mean sh#! Just saying.

Give the music a listen and get back to me.

Then try to say the same truth.
edit on 9-3-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah, I get it. Other band was around and did stuff. Soo what?!

These guys [SW] created a new genre of music.

That is a big difference.

They were heroin addicts before that was a “thing”. And they got clean before that was a thing.

That other band didn’t mean sh#! Just saying.

Give the music a listen and get back to me.

Then try to say the same truth.

Soooo what, you say? Those recovering ex-heroin addicts, I did listen to as the currently mentioned group and told you I thought they were good.

The history lesson I thought some would find mildly interesting. For others, not so much if nothing existed to them before the "heroin chic" of the 80's-90's Seattle "grunge" beginnings.

Sorry you didn't appreciate that. Best...

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Sorry too. Was in a cross mood last night.

Don’t take it personally because it was not meant that way. Mea culpa.

Just that with Blink you run across the 60’s band of the same name. And same with Sweet Water. I just wish we could stay on target with the 80s/90s band.

Btw, they are not “straight edge” but have been clean since the early 90’s. So much so that they kicked their guitar player out for something like smoking pot. That is a pretty drastic thing to do and totally changed their sound.

Which is the whole point of hearing new stuff that sounds like old school punk is so cool!

Sorry for being a drunken jerk! (It does read that way... again, sorry. Just passionate about a band that most people don’t know about!!)

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   

We would get high and dance our ass off to bands like Joy Division

Aye taykit yoov erd diss lit'le toon?

"Let's Dance To Joy Division" by The Wombats

Just thought you might like to be aware, this is a band too, they were around and did stuff.

I will actually listen to your "lame live show/judgemental person filterer outer". Some time in the next 24 hours.

Are there any albums or just the live recordings?
edit on 3/10/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I listened to it. I just put the "within 24 hrs" to filter out all the judgemental assholes... I figured I'd wait for them to do their thing so now that things have settled down, I can tell you:

I liked it.

Reminds me a little of this. Dont be offended. I'm terrible, and my taste in music is terrible...

top topics

join