It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Google, this is bogus as hell' — one of the fathers of the internet blasts Google

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   
One of the founders of the Net, DNS is officially not very happy with Google, and he's calling Goliath out for it's uncouth controlling behaviour.

In a recent article from Business Insider,

“Google, this is bogus as hell,” Paul Vixie ranted on Internet Engineering Task Force mail list this week. The IETF mail list is where the people who create the internet’s technologies converse.

The post was noticed because Paul Vixie is an Internet Hall of Fame engineer known for his pioneering work on the modern Domain Name Service (DNS).

And it is how Google was using DNS in its Chromecast Ultra streaming device that ticked him off.

So he bought a Google Chromecast. But when he went to set it up, he found it doing something no device in his network is allowed to do: It wouldn’t use his own, private DNS server. It would only use Google’s public server.

He was miffed. Chromecast was telling the father of DNS that he couldn’t control the DNS it would use, so Chromecast would choose for itself.

Vixie wasn’t going to have it.

“No, this device I’ve paid for, will NOT be allowed to send you any information, other than what I personally approve, which will never include DNS traffic. If you don’t like that deal, buy it back from me and I’ll find some other video appliance that doesn’t twist my arm,” Vixie wrote publicly to Google.

Many of these Giant Organizations are taking advantage of everyone, and It's good to see someone like Paul Vixie making it clear what he thinks of these practices. It's sort of akin to Cyber warfare.

Thoughts..

edit on 7-3-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Seems like a light has been shown on Google's darkness in the past couple of years.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My spelling is attrocious...

But I'd rather look stupid than be stupid and enable google spellcheck, AKA Google keylogging.

Google is like a giant digital sex predator/peeping tom.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Maybe one of the fathers of the internet should create a better alternative to Google.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I thought in capitalist free market system we have the choice to use or boycott products and services, basic supply and demand, why do people use Google and their services then complain about them.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtlasHawk
Maybe one of the fathers of the internet should create a better alternative to Google.

Maybe the inventor of the car should've built and maintained his own roads.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

My thoughts exactly. They gave them all this power over them and now, they don't like it. But most will still use it while complaining about it.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Artemis12

Well...why would he buy what amounts to nothing more than a screen and acess to the web via google and expect anything different?

Don't buy google's # and turn it off on your phone. Honestly, don't use chrome either....or use chromium instead at the very least if you must. Also, if you program, don't support go. # go. Google's been pushing it everywhere as a C++ replacement, funded by them of course.
edit on 7/3/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Starhooker

Yes indeed, it's so bizarre to watch unfold it's almost surreal.

Many of those complaining feel they need to use these services because everyone else does, talk about creating your own prison walls.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I think it's the Principle of it that he wanted to get through with his rant. Something that no longer exists anymore. LIke when the Internet was still in it's infancy, and everyone thought everybody they met was nice and kind and would never hurt each other and then, surprise!

The Kumbaya stage is gone. rip. Now it's every (hu) man for themselves, and disturbingly out of control with the left vs right mentalities, or lack of thereof.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
Seems like a light has been shown on Google's darkness in the past couple of years.

Their motto has gone from "Do no evil" to "Try not to get caught doing evil."

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Solution: dont use chromecast if you don't like their protocols.

Buying the product and then complaining about it does nothing.

Complaining about it and NOT buying the product would be more fruitful and less futile and most detrimental to Google.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

That requires personal responsibility, and a backbone...

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Maybe he just wanted to call less than pristine Google out because no one else has mentioned this. When the founding fathers of the Internet are getting ticked off with the corruption, it's getting personal.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I complain that ATS doesn't use a secure connection to the Internet, which opens us to all manner of mining schemes. But I keep coming back for more interaction with this informative forum.

The current owners are trustworthy. I just hope they don't sell the platform without letting us know that it's being sold and who the purchaser(s) are.
edit on 3/8/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

It wouldn’t use his own, private DNS server. It would only use Google’s public server.

First result when searching for “how to change DNS on Chromebook” shows you how to do exactly that.
How to change DNS on Chromebook

Oh look! It’s exactly the same way you’d change the DNS on other Windows PCs.

But any chance to hate on google is a good thing, amirite?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I complain that ATS doesn't use a secure connection to the Internet, which opens us to all manner of mining schemes. But I keep coming back for more interaction with this informative forum.

The current owners are trustworthy. I just hope they don't sell the platform without letting us know that it's being sold and who the purchaser(s) are.

We are responsible for our own posts, the owners have no liability.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Chromecast, not a Chromebook.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Well let's replace google a.i ( GOOGLE BRAIN ) DARPA PENTAGON PROJECT.

IT is all Quantum now....sooooo might as well link internet a.i thru CERN. Since it already is courtesy of library of congresses' PRISMA ( SPECTRE ).

Sim Logs are on it a/ out of air. No lenses. Wi-Fi routers- inferometer bounce off dense matter. Sims like logs akashik relay dominance. TRUMP knows that too.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
a reply to: TerryDon79

Chromecast, not a Chromebook.

Teaches me for reading things first thing in the morning on not a lot of sleep lol.

Still, chromecast is a streaming service, like Netflix. You’d change the DNS the same way, by using a proxy or setting up a DHCP server on another PC.

Plenty of workarounds for it.
edit on 832019 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join