It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I purchased a time travel machine!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Good day trend setters, I have some news for you, I time travelled back to 1998.

Here's the story. I recently purchased a boom box, now that doesn't seem like much as it has the bells and whistles and you may be thinking "hurry up cake get to the time travel part!" don't worry because here it comes...

It has a cassette player.

That is not a typo fellow members, you are not dreaming, this time machine has a cassette player/recorder. I demonstrated it to my former partner in crime on radio and he thought it didn't work (captain kraut put a blank tape in) so he found a recorded tape, pressed play, and the rare German sloth was more animated than usual.

Now I know vinyls are back in vogue, but cassettes? I'm getting all nostalgic here so if I'm gonna go down memory lane and I'm taking you with me. do you remember what cassettes you bought or what you recorded? Come on shake off those grey hairs and tell your story.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Dual Cassette Recorder?

I remember cassettes being cheaper than CDs...

oh man Sam Goody lol

blockbuster music lol

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Gay ops

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

The first cassette I ever bought was Michael Jackson's Bad, I was with my Dad and it was the music shop with the red glitter electric guitar in the window that I used to dream about.

That's one of my few memories of spending time with my old man as a kid.

After he snipped-off, my uncle would occasionally pick me up with my bike and we'd go riding on the north coast, we'd always have that tape blaring out. I've recently began hooking up with my uncle again, he comes around for roast dinner every now and then.

My old man is probably still hitting drums and grooming his purple beard in a teepee somewhere, lol

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Ahh the memories.

My first Cassette tape was "House of Pain"
I thought I was the most bad ass kid at summer school that year.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I bought one from this guy named Rico, I just need someone to help hook it up to me properly.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Yep cassettes are making a comeback with the hipsters and the kids. My daughter has a whole pile of new cassettes in her car of bands she's into.

Coincidentally, next month Water Under the Bridge Records is doing a cassette-only release of some basement tapes of my first band from '80-'84. Like most people I don't have a player so I don't really see the point.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

This is one of the first songs I recorded, Ive never met a fan of ska, and I don't no one who does, that's the impression that I get.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I bought one from this guy named Rico,

Suave, perhaps?

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No, Uncle Rico:

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
After few years ago I had an old truck with a cassette deck. I used but cassettes ran cheap at second hand stores. You could still find them back then.

Don't know if second hand stores still get cassettes

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I have a pioneer pl-100 direct drive turntable, a pioneer 630r dual cassette deck and recently sold a pair of 1970's Sony Tc-229sd high end solenoid drive cassette decks. Show me an 8 track in an AMC javelin, then you have a time machine lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My first cassette purchase was Heaven and Hell (Vangelis) at Tower Records across from the Seattle Center when I was about 10 or 11 years old. The Sony Walkman had just come out and I had received one as a Christmas gift from my parents. I was blown away and played the tape 100s of times while walking the dog, skiing, doing homework, riding the bus, trying to sleep, etc.

edit on 322019 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'll bet if I looked around hard enough I could probably find my old Pioneer car radio / cassette deck. I practically wore out the threads putting that thing in different vehicles, it must have outlived about 6 of my vehicles and about 3 of my friend's vehicles. I spent more money on that tape deck than all 6 of the vehicles it outlived, combined!

The one vehicle it absolutely rocked the hardest was what I called "The Ghetto Cruiser". The Ghetto Cruiser was a 1974 Ford LTD station wagon. It was a real "sleeper" too! (460 V-8 under the hood), painted 'rattle-can' white. But inside was (2) 200W per channel amps connected to 6 sets of monster magnet triaxial speakers and a pair of 12" dual woofers bolted down in the back. This was in the days before the big boomer car stereos. The car was a rolling Boom Box! (a very fast one too).

I could take The Ghetto Cruiser anywhere and the party would follow. Heck, you could hear it way out in the middle of the lake even!

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

My former "partner in crime" would probably steal that from you, he is a former muso from the seventies and would love it-sounds like a nice rig.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I smell what you're cooking-in my timezone we call them the shaggin' wagon, back in the time when there were drive though cinema's, and if my happy days repeat memories are correct no one was watching the movie

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Amateur. 4-track all the way.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

My former "partner in crime" would probably steal that from you, he is a former muso from the seventies and would love it-sounds like a nice rig.

The Sony's were gorgeous, I used two of them with an aka 34b reel to reel to record bands on 8 tracks before I went digital. As far as high end stuff, I still have a dbx bx-3 amp and am available z8 plus a tg55 for my studio.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Dang...cassettes...I had all of Judas Priest's catalog, all of Iron Maiden's catalog...and another 300-400 other cassette tapes back in the day. I recently gave them all away to a coworker who has a tape deck. Was kind of hard to let them all go, but not really since I haven't listened to any of them in decades.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Brian Eno’s “Here Come the Warm Jets”

I also had a cassette of Renaissance lute music.

I have a rather eclectic taste where music is concerned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join