It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victoria's Secret's stores are doomed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I put this in social issues because I think this is directly tied to the US obesity epidemic.

fortune.com...

L Brands Inc., owner of the lingerie chain, announced Wednesday plans to close about 53 Victoria’s Secrets in North America this year, more than three times the 15 it’s historically closed down in an average year.

There are so many companies that have gone under in the past 20 years, and you know what, they deserve it.
The people that are running these places are so out of touch with their customers it is laughable, but let's talk about
Victoria Secret.

Here is one store that could actually survive as a brick and mortar store in an online shopping world. Why? Because most women need to go look
at sizing in real life especially for bras. Only after underwear fits right can you buy the exact same one online.

I did a quick search and it says 3/4 of the US female population will be either overweight or obese by 2020 & 17% percent of children.
Exact numbers aren't important. We just know, everyone is getting larger, by large numbers.

I have to crack up when "experts" say that Victoria Secret is closing because women want to be comfortable and not sexy.
When in the world have women not wanted to be sexy? Of course women want to be sexy, but they also have to find clothes that are their size.
Also is it not possible to be both comfortable and sexy?

www.racked.com...

Plunkett Research estimates that 68 percent of American women wear a size 14 or above, up slightly from the frequently cited 67 percent figure it found in 2012.

I'm not that great at math, but if 68% of women are size 14 and above (and growing) and a store doesn't sell plus sizes, what is going to happen?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm actually just shocked that you addressed only women in this post.

Bigot.

What about all the men buying and wearing VS lingerie.

ETA: Seems they might be holding onto an ideal, a principal. Maybe they'd rather die than admit the reality of the true state of america.
edit on 28-2-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Don't really feel bad for them. If they want to make a profit, then they can change with the times, or die off.

LuLu Lemon is another that would rather alienate clientele instead of adapting.

I'm slowly but surely losing weight, but it really sucks not being able to find anything decent to wear in the meantime. Ordering online is a minefield because you can never be sure of the sizing.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

"ETA: Seems they might be holding onto an ideal, a principal. Maybe they'd rather die than admit the reality of the true state of america."

www.businessinsider.com...

But the reason the brand omits larger sizes from its stores might not be cruel at all. It just might have to do with the way that bigger bras are constructed; they're made differently from their smaller counterparts.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Really?
What do you know about women's sizes?
I can tell you one thing... I have the hardest time EVER finding MY size when I go into any store you know why? because I am not obese. I actually take care of myself and watch my nutrition and exercise and weigh myself. There is nothing on the racks lower than a size 4 these days and that pisses me off to no end! When I go to Macy's I have to shop in the teenagers section for crying out loud. A woman working at Macy's actually told me that they try to cater to larger women these days. That's just wrong. Personally I love VS... best quality BRA's all around. They fit, they're comfortable and they don't get ruined after one wash.
Tell me OP, do you have trouble finding the right bra size?

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Really? What do you know about women's sizes?

OP is a mother and a well-respected member of our ATS community.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
Really?
What do you know about women's sizes?
I can tell you one thing... I have the hardest time EVER finding MY size when I go into any store you know why? because I am not obese. I actually take care of myself and watch my nutrition and exercise and weigh myself. There is nothing on the racks lower than a size 4 these days and that pisses me off to no end! When I go to Macy's I have to shop in the teenagers section for crying out loud. A woman working at Macy's actually told me that they try to cater to larger women these days. That's just wrong. Personally I love VS... best quality BRA's all around. They fit, they're comfortable and they don't get ruined after one wash.
Tell me OP, do you have trouble finding the right bra size?

I know a lot more than most about women's sizes. #1 I have worked with textiles for over 30 years. I worked in retail, and I am a woman! I have also sewn and altered clothing for women.

I am not obese or overweight at all, I am actually petite which is similar as being plus sized when looking for clothing. However any trouble I have finding a bra pales to those of my friends that are considered plus sized, especially at Victoria Secret, which does not sell any, which is what this OP is about.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There is probably an opportunity for a new player if Victoria's Secret won't cater to heavier women. The bigger issue is that women are probably just not interested as much in lingerie. Might be a growth area for men though given the gender fluidity that is popular these days...

Seriously though, a friend of ours open a boutique selling wedding dresses to heavier women. It has become quite successful. In fact, she got a reality TV show from it.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Really? What do you know about women's sizes?

OP is a mother and a well-respected member of our ATS community.

OH... haha! I thought OP was a guy! My bad

But still... it goes both ways. There's either plenty of sizes for large-obese and none for smaller women or there's only size 0-6 and nothing for larger women. There's fat shaming and there's thin shaming. Believe me I see it all and I hear it all. I'm a nutritionist and I work in multiple fitness centers. I used to weigh close to 200 LBS and now I'm around 120 --- through diet and exercise. This is a topic that burns my ass.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
There is probably an opportunity for a new player if Victoria's Secret won't cater to heavier women. The bigger issue is that women are probably just not interested as much in lingerie. Might be a growth area for men though given the gender fluidity that is popular these days...

Seriously though, a friend of ours open a boutique selling wedding dresses to heavier women. It has become quite successful. In fact, she got a reality TV show from it.

Dude, you beat me to it. There is ripe opportunity for a entrepreneurial person/business to cater to this demographic.

A lot of wedding dress brands are only sold up to a certain size. I think the whole designer wedding dress thing is crazy, to spend upwards of 10k is just insane! You could take a trip to Thailand get a custom dress made, vacation for a month and still have money to pocket!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This is entirely on VS... if their business model really indicates the "obesity epidemic" is causing fewer women to fit in the intimates VS sells, then I have to think they'd carry more gift wrapping for the BBW ladies of the world. Personally, my wife is a Torrid shopper and I wouldn't want it any other way. Skin and bones are for arid deserts, padding and insulation is for warming up frigid nights in the great white north.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
and further more... I am all for feeling good in your own skin and all that but I'm sorry, strong is not the NEW skinny and being heavy is NOT bulking and I get my new edition of Vogue or Glamour in the mail, I don't want to see 200-300 LB women on the cover! It's supposed to be about fantasy and glam and glitz and I want to keep it that way. If that's what I want to see, I'll watch my 600 LB life.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You made a tremendous leap there from 200 lbs to My 600 LB life.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Sounds like a plan.

I bet Micky d's would finance. They could put fountain drinks in the changing rooms.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I never understood the fashion world's obsession with scrawny women... maybe it is cultural, but being a black guy, I like my women with some meat on their bones. Need something I can hold on to and a little jiggle going on. I ain't saying they need to be obese but most guys I know like voluptuous women.

These rail thin, bobble headed women with no as* look sickly to me. Look like they might get broke in two after a good romp in the bedroom.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well I was just saying that as an example.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You gotta pick what will accept you, I guess.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I would think it is more about the online shopping where more people can compare price and more choices than in a small retail shop.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I never understood the fashion world's obsession with scrawny women... maybe it is cultural, but being a black guy, I like my women with some meat on their bones.

...and this has always been a massive swath of mutual common ground African Americans and rural country boys openly stand together on.

You and I agree on a lot of topics, but none as tightly as we agree on this.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Then there's these woman who hate men, and are going full tactical. Maybe that's where the fashion is going.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join