It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victoria's Secret's stores are doomed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
There is probably an opportunity for a new player if Victoria's Secret won't cater to heavier women. The bigger issue is that women are probably just not interested as much in lingerie. Might be a growth area for men though given the gender fluidity that is popular these days...

Seriously though, a friend of ours open a boutique selling wedding dresses to heavier women. It has become quite successful. In fact, she got a reality TV show from it.

There is and it is called, Lane Bryant.

(eta: no longer owned by the same parent company)
edit on 28-2-2019 by toolgal462 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2019 by toolgal462 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Victoria's secret is also one of the stores targeted most often by shoplifters.

Lingerie for the overweight is a growth area.
Sure it is.
edit on 28-2-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It's bad because sooner or later the OK to be fat trend will fade away and the days of waif thin will come back.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Everyone knows Americans are too fat.

This VS thing is probably more related to tha Amazon'ing of the economy.

Retail has been decimated across the board.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
a reply to: burdman30ott6

And what about the women who are "scrawny" but don't choose to be that way and just can't help it? Statements like that make them feel just as bad as an obese woman trying to fit into a VS bra.

I'm not criticizing skinny women, I'm simply saying they're not my cup of tea. That's the difference. This society doesn't judge thin women... it enables them. The same can't be said for women who society views as overweight and any attempt that gains steam towards body acceptance or them feeling good about what they actually look like is swiftly met with whining and bigotry from the fashion industry and their squadron of cookie cutter Barbie doll wannabes who buy the narrative and push the criticism and mockery of overweight gals.

Well this couldn't be further from the truth. Have you picked up a fashion mag lately? Almost all of the models are now plus sized. The days of cookie cutter Barbie dolls is way past. Today it's all about different sizes.. more on the plus size and diversity in race, color and sex. After all, It's all about the base.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

It's bad because sooner or later the OK to be fat trend will fade away and the days of waif thin will come back.

It's not bad, when the trend goes back to thin, times for stores to re-adjust.

I find it interesting how personally you are taking all of this. Guess what it is ok to be fat, thin, etc. It really is, and I think everyone should be able to find underwear in their size. Is that so wrong?

My whole OP is about how dumb some stores are. Large nationwide stores, that don't cater to the largest demographic. I've always been against catering to the few. I don't think that VS should cater to people that do weigh 600lbs, because that isn't what most women are. Most women are probably somewhere size 10-18.

If I sell pencils and my largest demographic is grade school, it would be downright silly of me to market and only sell to retirees, right? Same thing.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes women are the worst when it comes to that.
I like the saying that goes around in the fitness circuit a lot "Girls tear each other down, strong women lift each other up". I have a boxing crew and it's mostly female. Now I don't care who you are or what you weight or what your goal is. It's about team work and encouraging each other to do better. That's it. Everything else gets left outside the door and on that I'm not flexible at all.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I disagree. There are just some things you have to try on and a bra is one of them. A poorly fitting bra is one of the worst things to have. Imagine if your shorts stuck your franks and beans in an awkward position all day long and you couldn't do anything about it except suffer in silence -- that's an ill-fitting bra and why you always try them on and/or pay enough to get a proper bra fitting at a good store.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

No, I agree with what you're saying and I DO take it personally because I've been on both sides of the coin. Hating VS because I can't fit into anything they sell even though I love their apparel because it's super cute and trendy and then being able to walk into any store on the planet and grab any size 2 off the rack and feeling good about it because I worked so damn hard and sacrificed so much to build the body I always wanted... oh, but wait, there are no size 2's. Only tens and 14s! Let me go over to build a bear maybe I can find a pair of pants there that'll fit me!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

My girlfriend has the same issues, is hard to shop for her. I feel your pain. She hates buying clothes from the teen section. She's small and does not have megaboobs so damn near nothing is in her size.

She's trying and struggling to gain weight after having been abused and starved for two years.
edit on 2/28/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Sell bigger panties. Problem solved!

Seriously, I think the problem with Victoria's Secret has more to do with it being perceived as an old brand rather than Americans becoming more obese.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

What about all the men buying and wearing VS lingerie.

They go to Victor's Secrets.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Nobody is comfortable in their overweight skin. There are those that moan about it and those that lie and say they are comfortable, but if anyone would give you a free "have a smoking slim body" you wouldn't say no.
Comfortable means you have given up and tell everyone you are fine so that you don't look bad. I am not happy when I am a few kilograms over. I immediately stop snacking and stick to lower calories until I feel good again.

The good feeling is so amazing that no chocolate can tempt me. I just thought the other day how I rather not have sweets because I felt amazing. I'm not skinny, I am what I should be at my small height. There is a bounce and a spring in my step when my belt accents my waist. I feel happy because I remembered about a month ago being a little too chubby.

I know according to some women should be chubby and only big is beautiful and all those lies. In the end you yourself feel really good being a normal size. What is wrong to slim down to fit into lingerie? Or buy from shops for 'special' ladies, there are enough of them about.

Sorry.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree you can't order most clothes without trying on, if you want them to fit right.
-especially shoes

I wouldn't mind opening a bra fitting store. The lady may have some reservations though.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I feel like I'm hauling around a family of Somalis when I get 20lbs overweight.

Blows out the knees and back.

Plus, it's embarrasing having to have a "American fat spring" put on my motorcycle.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

In less than 1 year 75% of the women in the US wii be overweight or obese? I call BS

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I know according to some women should be chubby and only big is beautiful and all those lies.

The eyes don't lie, Valerie is considered "chubby" and Celine is slim/fit. You tell me which looks better.
BTW, Valerie is 8 years older than Celine.

edit on 28-2-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yikes. Have a look at their stocks.

They are done.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Wait, what's the challenge here?

Anorexic or dudejaw?

I can't do the dudejaw. I'm going with anorexic

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Okay part of the issue is the "obese" labels. They are ridiculous. You see someone who's a little overweight and think , ok, they're trying. But they are labeled obese, same as the 400 fat pos who can't walk or take care of himself.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join