It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethan Couch, ‘Affluenza Teen’ Who Killed 4 While Driving Drunk, Is Freed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted, it's old news from April of 2018 but as far as I knew, him and his mother had fled and I think I heard they were caught but thats it. He served 2 years. So after being 3 times over the limit, kills 4 people, then drinks again at a party, gets caught and flees, does 6 months a head.

I just read an article were a profane commoner tested .1ng of MJ in her system under some new drugged driving law, and she got 15 years for killing 1 person.

ETA: I find it ironic they release him 1 week before his 21st birthday. I wonder what he did on that day.

www.nytimes.com...

Ethan Couch, whose trial for killing four people while driving drunk sparked widespread conversations about the privilege of being raised wealthy, was released from a Texas jail on Monday after nearly two years.

Mr. Couch, 20, became known as the “affluenza teen” after a psychologist suggested during his trial that growing up with money might have left him with psychological afflictions, too rich to tell right from wrong. He attracted further attention when he and his mother, Tonya Couch, fled to Mexico in an effort to evade possible jail time.

He served his 720-day sentence in a jail in Tarrant County, and was freed about a week before his 21st birthday. View image on Twitter

edit on 27-2-2019 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

The justice system failed big time on this one...

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Man I remember this case, it made me ashamed to be white. Just under 2 years what a joke. I've know people that sat in jail longer just waiting for trial. I hope he has a good doctor to keep his "affluenza" in check. His doctor will probably give him Benzos and Opioids to keep him straight. What a joke.
edit on 2/27/2019 by 772STi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

www.chicagotribune.com... he is currently wanted by police

Police are searching for Ethan Couch, the wealthy Texas teen who received probation in 2013 after killing four people in a drunk driving crash. Dec. 17, 2015. (Reuters)
that is the entirety of the article in that snippet so not much new info on that front

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Different rules for the rich. One of the flaws of America's system is that the rich play by a different set of rules.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

You just jogged my memory, I was happy when they got him. I think his mom took off with him and they arrested her to lol. Rich white people man it's crazy

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ridiculous. 4 murders, and less than 5 years served.

And some people caught with a personal amount of marijuana get much longer sentences. Patricia Spottedcrow bought $31 (yes, only $31) worth of weed in Oklahoma and got 12 years for it. Not a single person got hurt/killed.

As FamCore said, the justice system screwed up, big time.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
"Justice" is only for the wealthy, weve known this for a while now........

Money dictates how the law will apply

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Mr. Couch, 20, became known as the “affluenza teen” after a psychologist suggested during his trial that growing up with money might have left him with psychological afflictions, too rich to tell right from wrong.

What a load of snip.

What that kid did was wrong.

But to blame it on being 'rich'.

Eff that.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 772STi
Why you have to bring race into it?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

www.chicagotribune.com... he is currently wanted by police

Police are searching for Ethan Couch, the wealthy Texas teen who received probation in 2013 after killing four people in a drunk driving crash. Dec. 17, 2015. (Reuters)
that is the entirety of the article in that snippet so not much new info on that front

Your article is before he was caught and freed.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Probably because, in this case, race almost certainly played a part in it.

Do you honestly think that if a Hispanic or black kid did this, they would've gotten away with this small of a sentence?

I don't.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If they had as much money, I think yes they would have. That's all the courts really care about.
Picture I dunno, Will Smith's kid doing it.

a reply to: narrator

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Benzos, maybe. That depends. Opioids, very unlikely. Anyway, yeah he should have served way more time. Especially if he fled, wtf?

But wow, maybe we need to stop bringing race into EVERYTHING. You do realise people of all colors work in the justice system, right? This is the kinda crap that just causes more and more division.
edit on 27-2-2019 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Yes, they probably would've. It's called rich privilege, not white privilege. The left has it confused.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

Do you honestly think that if a Hispanic or black kid did this, they would've gotten away with this small of a sentence?

I don't.

It depends on the lawyers, the jury, the judge etc etc etc. But yeah, lets just run straight to the race card cause that's more logical.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I really wasn't making it a race thing, just saying how I feel. And I'm white btw, so it's not a racist thing. It's just pretty common to see rich white people getting away with crimes. when I said it made me ashamed to be white I meant it. There are somethings in life you stand up and take like a man. Like killing 4 people. It was shameful all the way around not just on the kid.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

No. It works exactly like they want it to. This is the endgame, getting us Sheep so distraught, that we cant be bothered by news like this. The elite follows diffrent laws then the rest of us.

#fact.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

originally posted by: narrator

I don't.

It depends on the lawyers, the jury, the judge etc etc etc. But yeah, lets just run straight to the race card cause that's more logical.

I didn't run straight to the race card.

That was a huge discussion during the trial and results of the trial. I'm not the one who came up with the idea. I'm just saying, it's a possibility. That was international news, it's disingenuous to insinuate that I came up with the idea.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Man I remember this case, it made me ashamed to be white.

This was your first thought on the OP? It was your first sentence.

I just can't understand how that thought would be at the top of your, or anyone's response.

I blame media brainwashing, am I wrong?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join