It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile Launcher Installed in D.C. Suburb!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Does the government know something? This seems a bit much doesn't it?

Missile Launcher Installed in D.C. Suburb

Missile Launcher Installed in D.C. Suburb
Mon Feb 28 2005 20:46:09 ET

A large, drab green missile launcher aimed vigilantly skyward has become one of the more distinctive landmarks in the Washington suburb of Bethesda, Md.

The launcher claims a commanding position on the lawn at the U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center's Carderock facility, a science and engineering center overlooking the Potomac River, the WASHINGTON POST will report on Tuesday.

The six non-nuclear missiles in the launcher could ``counter an inbound threat.''

Opinions about the upscale neighborhood's newest security system have varied.

Developing...

Scared?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I wonder, oh well, we shall soon find out- they cant keep this a secret.

Keep us posted

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
But ed DC has missile launchers in the white house and other important places is not secret.

They are part of the Capitol defense.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Yeah, not exactly a revalation. The SS has had stinger equiped agents for some time now I believe. Also, its logical to have a Patriot battery or two to provide some measure of Defence. However, If It were me, Why not just have an Tico class Ageis ship in the vacinity?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Yeah, not exactly a revalation. The SS has had stinger equiped agents for some time now I believe. Also, its logical to have a Patriot battery or two to provide some measure of Defence. However, If It were me, Why not just have an Tico class Ageis ship in the vacinity?

For one the Tico's and Burkes are a bit of overkill......and this is new, stingers are one thing but a true SAM is another...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Immediately after 9/11/01 the Navy deployed aircraft carriers and guided missile destroyers near New York and D.C. for added protection. I don't know when or if they were removed, so I wonder what the current status of Naval air defense around the capitol is. It seems like a prudent move if there is a viable thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I'm betting there is a Virginia class, some where out there also. Getting any visuals on it though may not happen until resupply, if then.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
How do I get a missile launcher in my neighborhood?? Al Queda just might target the mobile home parks, meth houses, and tatoo parlors.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
About the unit possibly set up in the D.C. suburb, is it something mobile like Avenger or some larger system like Patriot, which has trailered RADAR, C&C, etc.? The mention of six missiles threw my thinking. Surely someone will snap a photo one day.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
How well are those missiles protected in the suburb, as good as in a large millitary base ? I mean terrorist could opt to try hijack the missiles instead of a plane and take a shot at presidential helicopter or a civilian plane...

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
About the unit possibly set up in the D.C. suburb, is it something mobile like Avenger or some larger system like Patriot, which has trailered RADAR, C&C, etc.? The mention of six missiles threw my thinking. Surely someone will snap a photo one day.

Good question the Avenger is alot less likely to cause alarm than a Patriot battery with its launchers and the phased array radar. Also if you have that radar up and radiating it might cause all kinds of interference havoc.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Does the government know something? This seems a bit much doesn't it?

I never though i'd here Edsinger complain about the government

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
It makes sense to have a launcher around. While the Pentagon and the
W.Hse. will not admit that there are missle batteries around it and on top of the W.Hse they will do anything to save one of our National Treasures. Did I just say what I did? Anyway, they have been needing some type of countermeasures in and around D.C. since 911. I can't put my finger on the source but I remember it saying that D.C. would be ringed by such a system due to the fall out of911. I graduated H.Sch. in '76 from Spotsylvania the county in which Fredricksburg is located in, and a good friend who is a Nuclear technician over at Lake Anna #1 reactor and he says that before the summer is over this yr. the whole county especially the reactor site would be surrounded by missle launchers. I find this about right and in line with the protocol sent down from on high. I feel that every major city in the U.S. should have some type of missle defence around it. My greatest fear is the use of a dirty bomb because if it were detonated in some small town, it would take hours for it to be reckonized and by that time, most of it's deadly effects would have done what it is supposed to and the winds would bring it's secondary effects to whomever is downwind.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
PATRIOT launchers carry 4 missiles max each. A typical battery has 8 or 16 launchers. 6 missles is not a typical configuration for a PATRIOT battery.

Also, you need a LOT of space to set everything up (You have an ECS, EPS, RADAR, LAUNCHERS, AMG, plus sundry support vehicles…) so I don’t see them setting up a PATRIOT system inside a major city without taking over an entire park or some such, they don't fit into a parking lot folks.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Even at the height of the cold war, there was no greater level of paranoia. What does Osama have ICBMs or does he have his submarine fleet? This behavior is only going to worsen the arms race, which now sprialing out control. The message is HE WHO HAS THE BIGGEST AND MOST GUNS HAS THE POWER.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I live in the D.C. metro area and its nothing new to have SAMS placed in certain areas for defence. After 911 there were humurs with SAMS on them near the monuments in downtown.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I was thinking about going there and taking a picture. I haven't really got a real good look at it, so I'm not sure what type it is.

(I have a family member who works on the base where it's at btw)

How well are those missiles protected in the suburb, as good as in a large millitary base ? I mean terrorist could opt to try hijack the missiles instead of a plane and take a shot at presidential helicopter or a civilian plane...

Don't worry. It's safe.

The SS has had stinger equiped agents for some time now I believe. Also, its logical to have a Patriot battery or two to provide some measure of Defence.

But ed DC has missile launchers in the white house and other important places is not secret.

I live in the D.C. metro area and its nothing new to have SAMS placed in certain areas for defence. After 911 there were humurs with SAMS on them near the monuments in downtown.

Yeah but those aren't like the one in Bethesda. The ones downtown are mobile and smaller.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

In the link edsinger provided

Originally posted by edsinger
Scared?

There is an image right at the top.

www.drudgereport.com...

Phae

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
WE go to DC every so often. When driving down we have seen
missile launchers parked on the side of the ring around DC. They
aren't new and I don't mind them being there at all. In fact, I'm
glad they are there.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The launcher depicted in the link is a Patriot launcher, so the number of missiles should be four, not six.

Just because there is a launcher there, doesn't mean that a) there are any missiles actually in the launcher, and b) that the system is operational.

I used to have one of those things parked 50 yards outside my office, across the street in a small parking lot near the company motor pool. They would haul it out for airshows, displays, and to impress visitors. No biggie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join