It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone seen Velvet Buzzsaw

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Dan Gilroy’s debut film, the disturbing “Nightcrawler,” was an absolute knockout of a calling card featuring a central performance from Jake Gyllenhaal as an amoral videographer that radiated with sinister ambition.

For his followup, “Velvet Buzzsaw,” airing on Netflix beginning Friday, Gilroy once again calls on Gyllenhaal though this time the director has fashioned a film around him that’s more explicitly a horror movie, though one set in the art world and with its tongue firmly, if playfully, in cheek. It’s “I Know What You Did Last Summer” with a better cast and an MFA degree.

Gyllenhaal is Morf Vandewilt (yes, seriously), a haughty, bespectacled art critic prone to making such pronouncements as “Isn’t it exhilarating to see something substantial other than celebrity tattoo artists and balloons for painting tools?” When viewers first meet him, he’s in the maelstrom of Miami Beach’s Art Basel, one of America’s premier art fairs, though little there impresses him.

‘Velvet Buzzsaw’ no ‘Nightcrawler’ but still cuts

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. As the review says it was not as good as Nightcrawler. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

watching it later.

going to check out a couple episodes of russian doll

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I haven't seen Nightcrawler but the trailer to Velvet Buzzsaw looks intriguing. Maybe I'll make it a double feature tonight and watch both back to back.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Be sure to watch NightCrawler it is great IMHO.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

watching it later.

going to check out a couple episodes of russian doll

I have been debating if I should spend the time to check out russian doll. Let me know what you think of it.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Just.... wow. mild paced, kind of minimal. The very end is kind of redeeming in an abstract kind of way. End/credits

Just different, Blood is expected at every turn. The cat was cool.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I thought Velvet Buzzsaw was close to unwatchable. It wasn’t scary and the characters were too awful to care about. It was terrible and I wouldn’t waste your time on this one.

edit on 2019/2/2 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
started both.

russian doll is much better

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I watched 2 episodes of Russian Doll last night. I then got sidetracked by Impulse when I realized I had only seen the first episode last year.

Russian Doll is better than Velvet Buzzsaw for sure.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

I watched 2 episodes of Russian Doll last night. I then got sidetracked by Impulse when I realized I had only seen the first episode last year.

for sure

velvet buzzsaw had a whole lot of not much happening

not really my bag

russian doll is right there though

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

for sure

velvet buzzsaw had a whole lot of not much happening

not really my bag

russian doll is right there though

I think we were all focusing on the black Girl and her interactions. She held most of it together the longest.

top topics

join