It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The power of Nature - Video of a dam failing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Here's a video of a mine's tailings pond dam in Brazil as it fails and comes crashing down. I always find seeing the raw power of nature turning Potential Energy into Kinetic Energy to be a humbling event and I'm always reminded of the wisdom of Dick Solomon from 3rd Rock from the Sun.

"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kills people!"

If people understood physics a little better, I'd have far fewer fail videos to watch

edit on 1-2-2019 by wtfatta because: Updated title

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

Dang! I love vids like this, and I agree, the power of nature is simply awesome. I remember having what would have to be admittedly a morbid fascination with watching video of the tsunami that hit Japan...just so much raw power. Of course, as you watch it you know you're watching a human tragedy unfold before your eyes...sort of a strange thing to be able to view that as we an today.

Anyway, obviously your video doesn't work. Can you fix it?

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheElectricPriest

I'm not sure what you mean by not working. I see an embedded live leak video using the ATS LiveL tag. Possibly a browser issue?

Here's a link to the vid dam fail

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Yeah, video doesn't work for me either. Too bad, looks interesting.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Wow!! Impressive video, S&F.

The vid worked for me - First time I pressed play it gave me nothing; had to reload the page once, then it played fine.

TheElectricPriest, I'm the same exact way with videos of the unfathomable fury of nature unleashed. In March 2011 I watched the Japanese tsunami live, mouth agape, in a crazy mix of wonderment and horror. I'm also sucked in by footage of EF4/EF5 tornadoes.

This old planet Earth has been here a very long time, and has seen species beyond number come and go like drops of rain in the ocean. It's good to remind ourselves to have respect for the power of nature, and to be prepared (as much as one can for such an event).

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is awe-some in the classical sense of the word. Nature's strength is truly amazing.

Hundreds missing. Hopes for more survivors among the missing is dwindling. Very sad.
edit on 1-2-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Feels like the dam was made from mud bricks. It looks so muddy. Who the f was in charge with the materials to be honest?
edit on 1-2-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

From the looks ide say it was an earth-fill dam. Maybe some concrete on the inside to help retention and add some heft. Not uncommon.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
If you look closely in the first linked vid, just to the left of the light spot at the lower right, there's a vehicle moving to the right along the road and two or three people that run to the left from where the vehicle was parked.

They didn't stand a chance

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   
A mine's tailings dam so it's not just plain water, it'll be horrendous pollution and the effects will be felt for decades everywhere it went.

A true disaster in every sense

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

I've gotta say it . . . the first word that came to my mind watching that was .... "damn!"

top topics

join