It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal employees, and retirees

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

By your logic, I see you as an enemy of the people by wanting to give more/expand government powers.

That's treason pal.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Facts:

1. The House passed a spending bill that was previously supported by the Senate.
2. McConnell chose not to put that bill to a vote in the Senate because he knew it would pass, and he is protecting Trump.

Had the actual process gone as prescribed, there would have been no shutdown (and no wall money) because the spending bill would have passed the Senate. Trump would have vetoed it, since it didn't contain his wall money. Here's the rub: McConnell also knew that the spending bill as passed in the House had the 2/3 Congressional majority to override Trump's veto. So McConnell chose not to bring it to a vote. Had he done so, there would have been no shutdown, just no wall money for a wall that will never get built (outside of where there already is one) even if he ends up getting it.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ

Could you point out to me where the constitution says anything about illegal immigration or ICE?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Someone suggesting a person give up their guns usually doesn't lead to numerous people being trampled like yelling fire in a dark theater can do.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Likely before the scheduled SOTU on the 29th, there will be a resolution. Trump may declare an emergency and the Army Engineers will begin building the wall/barrier. [Maybe even open season on coyotes who traffic in flesh.] The government will be funded without the wall as a line item...except for the funds buried in the military budget for security. Pelosi will get to claim a hollow victory as everyone now sees what a jerk she is. The GOP in the House tried funding the Feds salaries [no additional costs as they'll be paid for the downtime, anyway] but only 7 Dems crossed over. Maybe they are afraid of Ms. Polydent. I think that more may defect because of her self-serving hard headedness and the old girl will be put out to pasture within this session. The Speaker is dead, long live the Speaker.

Remember when Trump endorsed Nancy as Speaker? Why did he do that? Did he want to precipitate these events?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The Republicans held the House, Senate, and the White house, so if they were elected based off of their parties platform, they should have gotten this done. (keep in mind, I'm indifferent about the wall, I think that isn't the end all be all for this issue, but that's another conversation).

The problem is they needed 60 votes and not 51 to make any of this happen so in the end they got ZERO votes from the left on anything. I'm not sure how one measures that other than just a partisan move with little care.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
Just an outsider's perspective here:

It seems that the stumbling block is the wall proposal so why not put that project on the back burner so government can resume something resembling normality. Then re-negotiate the deal later without holding the country to ransom over differences of opinion if that's at all possible.

I mean there just has to be some room to bargain doesn't there?

this is traditional democrat strategy. give us (the dems) what we want and we'll do your stuff later.
back during Bush 41 they got amnesty for thousands of illegal aliens in return for a promise to cut the budget; they never did. same with W43.
Trump realizes that if he doesn't get that wall funded now it will continue to be punted.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Last week, House GOP voted to pay federal employees their 1st paycheck of 2019 despite the shutdown. Only 6 Dems voted Yes. Dem priority is not paying employees or opening government. It is opposing Trump.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I never swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution. I'm not a government employee or military service member or a politician & I do a better job at trying to defend & protect the constitution than many of them do, especially leftists. I'm grateful for the military/police/politicians who are actually trying to defend & protect the constituion & in turn protect our country & I have the utmost respect for them.

There are more jobs available than can be filled in the private sector right now. If my job stopped paying me I'd be looking for another job. Also, our country is $22 trillion in debt. With the debt increasing exponentially, there may come a time soon when the government can't afford to pay its employees because the dollar may become worthless through more hyperinflation of the money supply (Quantitative Easing). Our border will be much easier to defend with volunteers and a wall vs volunteers and no wall.

Fyi, I would like a smaller government & I believe we should replace all federal social/welfare programs with a UBI (Universal Basic Income). For the same cost as all current federal social/welfare programs, each U.S. citizen who is over 18 & who doesn't receive a federal pension can receive a UBI of @ $1,600 per month, regardless if they have a job or not. People can use their UBI money in the free market on basic needs like food, housing, health insurance & higher education. Criteria can be established to be eligible to receive consecutive years UBI, like a requirement to have health insurance. A UBI which replaces all current social/welfare programs can be implemented without raising taxes or touching military spending.

I'm also for giving men $10K when they turn 18 if the volunteer to have a vasectomy and/or give women $10K when they turn 18 if they volunteer to have their tubes tied. If they can afford to have the procedure(s) reversed and/or In Vitro Fertilization with frozen eggs, they can afford to have children.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I agree ICE should not exist. The military should be used to protect our borders, otherwise there's little reason for the military to exist other than to protect and defend our country & constitution against enemies both foreign and domestic. Local & state police should be used to round up illegal immigarants locally & sent to military bases abroad and released back into their countries of origin. The infrastructure is already there. Imo, most alphabet agencies are unconstitutional because they assume an individual's guilt without due-process.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I am in agreement with you. However, now it is more important than ever. A barrier has to be completed, the full length of our southern border.South Americans have to get it in their heads you cannot just walk across the Rio Grande and enter America. There are proper ways to immigrate.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 03:57 AM
link   
All President Trump needs to do is use the money confiscated from all the drug raids. I am sure there is plenty of money in that pot. That is how we pay for the barrier/ wall. He then full fills his promise to have Mexico pay for the wall. Simple!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join