It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal employees, and retirees

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Just an outsider's perspective here:

It seems that the stumbling block is the wall proposal so why not put that project on the back burner so government can resume something resembling normality. Then re-negotiate the deal later without holding the country to ransom over differences of opinion if that's at all possible.

I mean there just has to be some room to bargain doesn't there?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

It seems that the stumbling block is the wall proposal so why not put that project on the back burner so government can resume something resembling normality. Then re-negotiate the deal later without holding the country to ransom over differences of opinion if that's at all possible.

Make no mistake, this is way more about election posturing than the wall.

Both parties have agreed to way larger payouts to address the situation at the border in the past.
edit on 24-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: shooterbrody

We could easily fix the issue, and we could do so very cost effectively, secret is no one wants to fix it, as it is a modern day indentured servitude that we can pretend doesn't exist while hiding behind the facade of "well our party is trying to address it".

1. Change our foreign projection, we have systemically weakened Central and South America for many decades, this problem won't stop until that does.

2. Reform how our country utilizes foreign workers by.
A. Demanding employers use E-verify.
B. Reforming and streamlining the Visa program for temporary and full-time foreign workers.

3. Federally legalize marijuana to send a massive blow to the trans-border drug trade, as that is the cash crop that justifies their roots for less popular drugs.

All of the above would address the problems, and the only money spent would be the waste of time it would take our employees to enact them.

I do not disagree with any of that.
Seems the mass gop exit from the house did tho.
Retire rather than repair.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
Just an outsider's perspective here:

I mean there just has to be some room to bargain doesn't there?

That's exactly the problem. Democrats have kept it on the back burner for two years now.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Everyone is to blame except for the man in charge... even after assuming responsibility for a shutdown on live tv.

Society is at a precipice...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Thanks for your service - I know and work with a lot of great Coasties so I just wanted to thank you for your service.

I used to work in DHS, but now am with a different agency and am luckily not furloughed. I am a Contracting Officer so part of my knowledge base is appropriations law so I understand the statutory reasons why these shutdowns happen.

Regardless of the current situation, this whole shutdown the Government thing only became an issue because pure and simple Congress can't pass a budget (i.e. do their job). Somehow, they are not held accountable. Someone should propose a bill that if Congress can't pass a budget, they don't get paid, and if their inability to pass a budget causes a Government shutdown, then there should be snap elections for every single member. I'm sure that will never happen but its time we come up with real solutions to this problem.

I won't even get into the funding situations and hardships all these continuing resolutions put the Acquisition community in - it hampers efficiency and creates significant extra work in order to not violate the anti-deficiency act. Think of something like not being able to fund a janitorial services contract for a full year, and instead having 3 month periods, and tons of option periods that have to be exercised, IF funding is available...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Federal unions are not like private sector unions in that, they cant fight for things like pay, bennnies etc, because such things are set by law. Private pay etc are not set by law.

Fed unions protect employees from being put on undesirable shifts unfairly, Or other unfair management decisions.

a reply to: ElGoobero

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: CriticalStinker
You are not the only one with that opinion and for those reasons.

I have been relatively quite on this issue, as I have an unpopular opinion, and that is everyone is to blame on this, but the Republicans hold more of the blame.

True, but I'm one of the few who truly hold a level of indifference on the topic in general.

It boils for many down to the wall itself, which is trivial IMO. 5 billion isn't nothing, but in this context it's a drop in the bucket. While I think it would help the day to day of the border patrol, I don't think it does much for addressing the root of the issue.

That's ok.....see, people come here because America gives everyone the chance to get ahead. Over the next 2 years with Pelosi, Schumer and AOC in charge, our country will fall into a progressive sh1thole like the countries they are fleeing...it won't be worth the trip.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

In Oz a situation like this US train-wreck would end with a double dissolution of parliament IE both houses (upper and lower) dissolved and all seats opened for a general election to hopefully get things working again. Not sure what options there are along those lines in US politics though.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
a reply to: odzeandennz

In Oz a situation like this US train-wreck would end with a double dissolution of parliament IE both houses (upper and lower) dissolved and all seats opened for a general election to hopefully get things working again. Not sure what options there are along those lines in US politics though.

We get to vote in the illusion of change after their term of showing up half the time is over.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
No, the problem is the govt has shut down before and the public did not demand that congress pass a budget one year in advance. Or pass a law that says: during failures to pass annual approps = then continue at last budget rates until solved.

Many solutions available, but none were demanded by the public. So the congress continues to screw the public by just using CRs for many years now, public too stupid to demand better. Appropriations reps keep their annual power...Until Trump decides to fight the bs.

Now the public, usually asleep while the appropriators fuk them, are forced awake by the media squealing on behalf of the crooked congress appropriators.

So now the awakened mass of dummies have to sort thru the propaganda and realize and admit they been stupid and are being fukd by congressional procedures or take the easy way out and blame the Orange dude.

Its bad, but its not like we are 22 trillion in debt also, now that would be combo to worry bout.
U can b stoopid if youre flush with bux. Alot more dangerous to be dumb when youre broke.

a reply to: toms54

edit on 1/24/2019 by FrostyFlakes because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2019 by FrostyFlakes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is really awful. I live on a barrier island on the gulf and see Coast Guard every day. I didn’t even know they had been affected, as I assumed they were still part of the DoD. Now I’m royally upset.

You know what happens when you don’t pay your military? Viva la revolucion...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc
This is really awful. I live on a barrier island on the gulf and see Coast Guard every day. I didn’t even know they had been affected, as I assumed they were still part of the DoD. Now I’m royally upset.

You know what happens when you don’t pay your military? Viva la revolucion...

If you go to the DoD website they are listed as part of it.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Imo, Trump needs to issue an Executive Order to have the Army Corps of Engineers build the wall/fund government and/or issue an Executive Order to have the obstructionists in our government like Pelosi, Schumer & Ocasio-Cortez arrested for treason.
edit on 24-1-2019 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

Imo, Trump needs to issue an Executive Order to have the Arm Corps of Engineers build a wall and/or issue an Executive Order to have the obstructionists in our government like Pelosi, Schumer & Ocasio-Cortez arrested for treason.

Your opinion doesn't get to rewrite the definition for the countries highest crime.

I don't mind hyperbole.... But I hate when people don't know what treason means.

Use sedition in this case and I'll just disagree, but using treason is just ignorant.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Here's the definition

Treason- Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

I did not redefine anything. Supporting open borders is an act of treason against our country. Ocasio-Cortez has also been calling for the elimination of law enforcement (ICE), which is also an act of treason. Not protecting our country against domestic enemies who want to eliminate our constitution is also treason.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

You used the definition from a dictionary, a word and a word defined in law are two different things.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court. The Congress shall have power to declare the punishment of treason, but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture except during the life of the person attainted.
Article III section 3 of the constitution.

Last time I checked, we're not at war with any country in Central or South America. You could call illegal immigrants a nuisance, but an enemy is hyperbole.

Keep on going on with that treason talk though, one day your political opponents may do the same and our constitution will be nothing but a weaponized piece of paper for those in power, whether it's your side or the other.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I'm referring mainly to domestic enemies. Though I do include illegal immigrants who cross the border illegally as enemies because of their drug/human trafficking and gang relations.

I'm for the support & defense of the U.S. constitution. This includes non-infringemnt on our gun rights, the right to due-process & the electoral college, just to name a few things in it. I also include our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness found in our Declaration of Independence, which excludes abortion.

Imo, calling for restrictions on guns, acting on restricting guns, obstruction of due-process like we saw with the Kavenaugh hearings, calling for the end of the electoral college, supporting illegal immigrarion/sanctuary cities/open borders, calling for the elimination of law enforcement & allowing late term abortions are all acts of treason against the United States & its laws outlined in the U.S. constitution.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The US constitution doesn't care about your opinions (unless you sit on the SCOTUS).

You can use semantics all you want, and it doesn't change what the highest crime in our country means.

While the language isn't up to date, all you'd have to do is look at historical cases of convicted treason to see how hard it is to charge, let alone convict someone of it.

Seriously, do you want a police state? Because this is how you get a police state, by gleefully saying a crime punishable by death be applied to those who have a different political view than you.

GTFO.
edit on 24-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

We already have a police state. We've had a police state since 911. I just would like those who swear an oath to support & defend the constitution against enemies both foreign & domestic to uphold their oaths. Those who don't should be tried for treason.

For instance, If someone yells fire in a crowded movie theater when there is no fire they get arrested. Yet if someone calls for infinging on my gun rights, they don't get arrested, which can be far more dangerous for We the People vs a fake fire. I just want the laws followed, which is not happening right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join