It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk's new rocket failed to survive a windy day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
SpaceX's giant rocket ship was blown over and damaged by powerful winds in Texas — and Elon Musk says repairs will take weeks

Last night, 50 mph winds blew the top section off Musk's rocket. Space X says it will take weeks to repair.
Maybe hold off on booking your flight to Mars.

edit on 23-1-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Well.. good it happen now and not at launch day

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I've said it before and will say it again - Elon Musk is a criminal fraudster. He may also be a genius, but the 2 are not mutually exclusive and his actions with his Tesla company speak volumes

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
if a 50 mph wind did this what would a take-off do?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Oh, I don't think you needed to worry about that. A hollow sheet metal tube with some fins bolted on isn't going to go vary far in any case.

Seriously, look at any picture of the thing. It's clearly just a prop, and not an actual prototype.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I've said it before and will say it again - Elon Musk is a criminal fraudster. He may also be a genius, but the 2 are not mutually exclusive and his actions with his Tesla company speak volumes

Elon's empire seems to be crumbling. Tesla recently announced 7% layoffs, and today they discontinued the base battery pack on the Model S and Model X, and will reduce their production volumes accordingly.

The clear message is that demand for the Model S and Model X appears to have peaked. Tesla still has yet to produce the base version of the Model 3 (the version that's supposed to sell for $35,000), and coupled with the new announcement it seems clear that Tesla cannot make a profit selling the cheaper cars, and they know it.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad
This would happen to any freestanding unloaded rocket so i don't really know what your comment is ment to insinuate?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Hey let's leave Elon out of this, he has-oh dear god a driverless car just ran over some schoolkids! so much blood...oh the humanity!

You say speaking volumes, why a company would prepare a launch in those winds, and why was it falling apart? he must be hiring rhesus monkeys because his visions-while novel-aren't working out so well.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
FFS - my contempt for mr musk has few bounds - but this is pathetic barrel scraping

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That the top section comes off? The rocket didn't fall over. Did they forget to build some bolts for securing the top?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   

We will see the cheap cars once the factory in China is built.
And probably see a large uptrend in accidents and failures.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

You say speaking volumes, why a company would prepare a launch in those winds, and why was it falling apart? he must be hiring rhesus monkeys because his visions-while novel-aren't working out so well.

Maybe he is. Elon is having a lot of trouble keeping executives around these days. His accounting department is running away faster than Sonic the Hedgehog, which leads me to believe we'll be hearing a major announcement from the SEC at some point in the future.
edit on 23-1-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
In all fairness to Elon he did get them to come back to land which nobody thought would work , so this is just a little hiccup like America had when they first tried to launch a rocket .

It will all come out in the wash

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

He's the 21st Century equivalent of John DeLorean -- IN SPACE!
edit on 23-1-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I understand your implication about Sonic. You were hoping that Elon Musk could finally build something that is superior to that Hedgehog.

But I promise that technology will never stop Sonic, and he will always come through to save us from destroying the planet with our own machinery and pollution!!

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You are just uneducated and ignorant.
Musk has made strides and brought upon a new space race single handily.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

You are just uneducated and ignorant.
Musk has made strides and brought upon a new space race single handily.

I think you're giving him a bit too much credit. Building a re-usable rocket is legitimately a great advancement, but as for a "new space race": Not hardly. He launched a car into space, basically as a joke. His other ideas, like colonizing Mars, are pipe dreams and will be for the next few decades at least. The only other great feat in recent years is China announcing that they're going to go to the Moon, because they want to prove their space program is as good as ours (was in the 1960's).

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It was a fairing. On a testbed.

The suborbital, hopping rocket is a sleek, shiny craft with three prominent fins that end in landing pads.

www.space.com...
edit on 1/23/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/23/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

it was probably the hitting the ground part that damaged it, but I am just guessing.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
lots of people trash talk musk but the scoreboard speaks for its self

nasa 20b a year no rocket
space x 1-2b total has a rocket

as for tesla it would be cool to see a new car company finally be successful just ask delorean how hard that is to pull off even if you have a car people want to buy

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join