It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best First Person Shooters ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So I finally broke down, and bought the xbox one x edition over the weekend, and been playing, and reliving my first xbox days playing Halo.

My first game purchase as the Halo Collection. I am running in to an issue for my next purchase.

Which edition?

Gears of War ( always wanted to play it), but micro soft has two, and an add on.

Call of Duty advanced warfare(always wanted to play it), but not sure which edition.

Game experts. I need your expertise, as well as any other great FPS games.

So ?

Suggest away.

(post by ignorant_ape removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
So I finally broke down, and bought the xbox one x edition over the weekend, and been playing, and reliving my first xbox days playing Halo.

My first game purchase as the Halo Collection. I am running in to an issue for my next purchase.

Which edition?

Gears of War ( always wanted to play it), but micro soft has two, and an add on.

Call of Duty advanced warfare(always wanted to play it), but not sure which edition.

Game experts. I need your expertise, as well as any other great FPS games.

So ?

Suggest away.

I'm a casual gamer...

My favorites have been;

Wolfenstein 2

Borderlands 1 & 2

Gears of War (technically, these are a TPS)

HALO

Call of Duty / Black Ops

TitanFall 1 & 2

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I forgot about Titanfall.

Is Tom Clancy's The Division any good?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I enjoyed rust, the gun play was actually really good. Felt like real sway, had to hold your breath for long shots with rifle. Pistols were inaccurate if you ran and shot.

Black ops 2 was good too.

a reply to: neo96

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Battlefield 4 was my favorite "traditional" for lack of better terms, FPS. The game has small or large battles, 32-64 total players, with vehicles (helicopters, jets, tanks,attack boats, and transport vehicles).

My favorite part about the game is bullet drop and bullet.

My favorite non traditional is PUBG. Each game you start with nothing and drop onto the map from a plane with 99 other people. You can play solo (you vs 99 other solos) duos, where you and everyone have a partner, or squads, teams of 4.

You have to pick up all guns, ammo, throwables, armor, and consumables (health).

This game also has bullet drop and bullet lead.

You only have one life, last one standing wins.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I loved the division although that is a third person shooter, and more of an RPG type game. The first one had some bad glitches that broke aspects of the game for short periods of time.

But the second comes out in March, beta starts Feb 7-10 (great opportunity to try it before you buy it, you have to sign up for the beta on their site before hand).

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I haven't played it. However, I was reading some reviews on patches and DL Content that apparently make it pretty good. It is fairly high on my list of next games to try.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins.... OMG this game is MASSIVE. Very good. Highly recommend it. I won't buy a new game until I finish this one...

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Have not done FPS for quite a while as I am more of an RTS and RPG fan.
BUT
Take a look at Cyberpunk 2077 it is not yet released but there is a 48 minute play through video on it's official site.
Scroll the page down and you will see a set of 4 tiled images, below the one on the left is a blue box to take you to the footage it look's pretty impressive but remember this is a hybrid RPG-FPS game that is going to be played out in a crime riddled city were you basically play a gun for hire.
www.cyberpunk.net...

But from what I have read Kill Zone series of games are among the best first person shooters.

These days most RPG's are also Shooters especially as they have to appeal to the console users more than the PC users these day's.
Despite it not being a good FPS hybrid if you ever liked Fallout New Vegas or Knights of the old republic then keep an eye out for another RPC/FPS hybrid called The Outer Worlds.
outerworlds.obsidian.net...
Obsidian almost always make good games.

Basic FPS, it once again depend's are you a solo player or a multi player fan, multi player is a way of providing your own AI in the form of other players instead of NPC's and of course there skill set's will vary wildly so one day on a multi player game map you may have a great game and another day find yourself up against a bunch of kid's on there school break.

Single player is my choice but if I had to go multi player then despite my current dislike of EA one of the battlefield titles would sound about right to me.

edit on 23-1-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well your first mistake was getting a xbox x....

But let work with what we have, obviously you have the two big exclusives Halo Guardians which in my opinion wasn't very good and then you have Gears with is frankly the only reason I own a xbox. aside from that given that your a ATS member and looking for decent xbox games I would also recommend you try out a game called Quantum break. Now like I said Halo guardians I didn't enjoy and you say that you already have the master chief collection which is what I would have recommend anyway. I would think a bit of a break from halo then could be be good because honestly after the mater chief collection you're just going to be disappointed with Guardians.

So getting away from exclusives (because xbox doesn't have many) the next FPS I would reach for personally would be CoD infinite War, just for me personally I enjoyed it more than the others this generation. If you want to save on a bit of dosh then go for Battlefield HardLine or Battlefield 4 which you can get really cheep on the store and is again in my view better than the newer games. If however deep tactical co-op play is your thing then you need to get Rainbow Six Siege.

You also mentioned the Devision and if I where you I wouldn't bother, the devision 2 is coming out soon so I would wait for that. If it's an open world FPS you're looking for I would recommend Ghost Recon Wild-lands or far-cry 5. Another game you mentioned was Titanfall. I personally would recommend just skipping the first Titian fall (which is all online) and going for Titanfall 2 which has a amazing single player story and also better multiplayer.

Now my biggest recommendation would be the Metro games that you can buy as a bundle and the third one is coming out soon so probably a really good time to get them, lots of fun very good games.

I guess it depends what you're looking for I play too many games so could recommend loads depending on what your after, if its a military style shooter, a fantasy, sci-fi, multiplayer the list really does go on.

Ohhh also...

You can get Splintercell Blacklist on the Xbox store, it might be from the previous generation but it still keeps up and its a pretty awesome game if thats your thing.
edit on 23-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I played The Division daily for about a year and a half and only stopped a few months ago as the build up to the sequel is now fully underway ( March of this year ).

Having said that, I still play a game mode called "Survival" ( I highly recommend the game mode as it's extremely immersive and attention focusing ) for a couple of hours per week.

I wouldn't qualify it as a shooter though. Third person looter shooter with RPG elements kind of in the same family as Destiny and the upcoming Anthem.

As far as FPS games go, not the most massive fan of the genre but I did enjoy the Hell out of the Crysis games, the Metro series and I also highly recommend a title that largely flew under the radar for most folks called Spec-ops: The Line. Great, great game with a story that will kick you right in the tenderest part of your feels.

ETA: Unsure of which of these games are on Xbox as PCMR n stuff.

edit on 1/23/19 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well your first mistake was getting a xbox x....

It depends what you want, PS4 is meant for some, Xbox for others.

I don't play single player games (I do but very rarely), I usually play online, xbox is way better for people who want to be primarily online players.

I know you were partly joking, but we should be honest for those in the market. I've suggested PS4 for some, and Xbox for others.

link   
Battlefield 1-4 are awesome....5 looks like crap unfortunately.

I've never played The Division but Rainbow Six Seige is damn good. It's 5 vs 5 squads, no respawn, very intense when it's 1 v 1 and you are scrambling to plant the defuser. Operators all have unique gadgets and different loadouts.

Much more tactical than a Call of Duty or Battlefield I don't think I could go back. My only gripe with Seige is its an online all the time game.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Having said that, I still play a game mode called "Survival" ( I highly recommend the game mode as it's extremely immersive and attention focusing ) for a couple of hours per week.

Survival was one of the few game modes that I got a legitimate rush from, absolutely enthralling.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I was only joking.

Xbox is good for somethings, like mine is currently very good at collecting dust.

Seriously though I know what you mean, normally when someone asks me what they should get I tell them its best to just go with the system your friends have got if you are looking for online play. If you're not looking to play with a bunch of buddies online who have xbox though playstation does offer up a much better selection of games not to mention the inclusion of VR which is currently blowing my mind in Ace Combat 7.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Let me ask you neo, what do you typically like? Has it been a while since you've gotten into an FPS?

Are you looking for fun casual gameplay that you can play by yourself?

Are you looking for something more technical and challenging?

Are you intending on playing with others in a squad based format? (If you are, Xbox has a great feature called looking for group, if you press the glowing home button on the controller to bring up the side bar, scroll to the left where you see two people side by side.... Under it you should see start party and looking for group. If you select looking for group, you then pick the game, and scroll through the posts people put up. Many will say mic required, some will even have people new to the game).

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yea, most of my buddies are on Xbox, and even if they aren't online I can find a squad in under 5 minutes (mic required, adults only, and when someone requests to join, I can see their stats so I know they aren't a scrub).

But I typically get stuck on one game at a time for half a year to a year, and I'll have back burner games for when I'm bored.

I've been doing PUBG with Rocket League on the side.... Oh and RDR2

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Let me ask you neo, what do you typically like?

Shooting things, and blowing snip up. Aka. a Cyber redneck.

Has it been a while since you've gotten into an FPS?

Yeah, It's been at least 10-15 years.

Are you intending on playing with others in a squad based format?

Not good enough to play online if that's what you mean.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Are you looking for fun casual gameplay that you can play by yourself?

Definitely.

A game with a good story line wouldn't hurt.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Honestly, I would look into Xbox game pass (first month is 1$).

It gives you access to over 100 games to try out.

That's a great place to start.

Every Halo.

Gears 4

Sniper elite 4

State of decay 2

The Division

The Metros
edit on 23-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join