It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol the True Gateway Drug – DEA Schedule?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here’s sobering information for those that wish to understand the True Gateway Drug.

Most of us have consumed alcohol, and some use it daily to take the edge off, however the hard facts are that alcohol consumption, and abuse appears to cause chaos sooner rather than later for the abusers, and everyone around them.

Also how many of us have watched loved ones destroy themselves, and people close to them due to alcoholism?

So how bad is bad, and should it be on the DEA Schedule list?

Worldwide it kills approx. 3 million people yearly.

fortune.com...

Let’s take a look at the impact it has just on the USA, and some financial statistics and total numbers.

www.cdc.gov...

“Excessive alcohol use is known to kill about 88,000 people in the United States each year, but a CDC study suggests it is also a drain on the American economy, mostly due to losses in workplace productivity. Overview of study findings Total costs The cost of excessive alcohol use in the United States reached $249 billion in 2010, or about $2.05 per drink. Most (77%) of these costs were due to binge drinking. Binge drinking is defined as drinking four or more alcoholic beverages per occasion for women or five or more drinks per occasion for men. Further, 2 of every 5 dollars were paid by federal, state, and local governments, demonstrating that we are all paying for excessive alcohol use.”

Let’s look at a more granular level on how alcohol affects us in the USA.

talbottcampus.com...

"General Alcohol Statistics
• Alcohol poisoning kills six people every day. Of those, 76 percent are adults ages 35-64, and three of every four people killed by alcohol poisoning are men.3
• The group with the most alcohol poisoning deaths per million people is American Indians/Alaska Natives (49.1 per 1 million).4
• Alcohol-impaired driving accounts for more than 30 percent of all driving fatalities each year.
• More than 15 million people struggle with an alcohol use disorder in the United States, but less than eight percent of those receive treatment.1
• More than 65 million Americans report binge drinking in the past month, which is more than 40 percent of the total of current alcohol users.5
• Teen alcohol use kills 4,700 people each year. That’s more than all illegal drugs combined.
Drunk driving costs the United States $199 billion every year.
• Kids who start drinking young are seven times more likely to be in an alcohol-related motor vehicle accident."

There has been some form of alcohol production, sales, and consumption as far back as written history, but why are we glorifying it, making a legal age to consume it, and then making it socially acceptable?

Any establishment that sells alcohol, is technically a drug-dealer, by DEA standards this post will frame out logically why. If we look closely at alcohol, and the US DEA scheduling, it belongs as a scheduled drug, but which category should it be place under?

Due to brainwashing and legalization many people’s ability to deny ignorance, on this particular topic, will be understandably over-ridden by years of MSM, Hollywood, social glorification, and the fact it’s legal to use.

I’m going to predict some here, on ATS, will attack this topic with criticism, sarcasm, deflection, and blind-ignorance, but because of the number of people that have been socially, mentally, and physically brainwashed with this addictive substance, it's understandable. But why would they, isn't critical thinking the right thing to do with an epidemic that costs so many lives, chaos, and so much money?

Remember when cigarettes were similarly glorified; how’d that turn out?

The #1 Hard fact:

1) Alcohol is the leading cause of death worldwide…..Reread a few times

www.usatoday.com...

en.wikipedia.org...(medicine)

Alcohol (medicine)

“Alcohols, in various forms, are used within medicine as an antiseptic, disinfectant, and antidote.[1] Alcohols applied to the skin are used to disinfect skin before a needle stick and before surgery.[2] They may be used both to disinfect the skin of the patient and the hands of the healthcare providers.[2] They can also be used to clean other areas,[2] and in mouthwashes.[3][4][5] Taken by mouth or injected into a vein ethanol is used to treat methanol or ethylene glycol toxicity when fomepizole is not available.[1] “

en.wikipedia.org...(drug)

Alcohol (Drug) Doctor’s do not prescribe alcohol, in any form, outside the medical establishment, and do not use it for consumption inside the medical establishment.

“Alcohol, also known by its chemical name ethanol, is a psychoactive substance that is the active ingredient in drinks such as beer, wine, and distilled spirits (hard liquor).[13] It is one of the oldest and most common recreational substances, causing the characteristic effects of alcohol intoxication ("drunkenness").[14] Among other effects, alcohol produces a mood lift and euphoria, decreased anxiety, increased sociability, sedation, impairment of cognitive, memory, motor, and sensory function, and generalized depression of central nervous system function.”

Negative effects: (The list is extremely long, but here's just a short list.)

Depending on how much is taken and the physical condition of the individual, alcohol can cause some of these issues:

• Slurred speech
• Drowsiness
• Vomiting
• Addition/physical dependency
• Diarrhea
• Upset stomach
• Headaches
• Breathing difficulties
• Distorted vision and hearing
• Impaired judgment
• Decreased perception and coordination
• Unconsciousness
• Anemia (loss of red blood cells)
• Coma
• Brain Damage
• Fetal abortions
• Fetal retardations
• Blackouts (memory lapses, where the drinker cannot remember events that occurred while under the influence)
• Unintentional injuries such as car crash, falls, burns, drowning
• Intentional injuries such as firearm injuries, sexual assault, domestic violence
• Increased on-the-job injuries and loss of productivity
• Increased family problems, broken relationships
• Alcohol poisoning
• High blood pressure, stroke, and other heart-related diseases
• Liver disease
• Nerve damage
• Sexual problems
• Permanent damage to the brain
• Vitamin B1 deficiency, which can lead to a disorder characterized by amnesia, apathy and disorientation
• Ulcers
• Gastritis (inflammation of stomach walls)
• Malnutrition
• Cancer of the mouth and throat

Continued..........................................
edit on 19-1-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Now let’s get to DEA scheduling

www.dea.gov...

According to the DEA and their list Alcohol could be scheduled under either 2, 3, or 4

Schedule 2

Schedule II Schedule II drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a high potential for abuse, with use potentially leading to severe psychological or physical dependence. These drugs are also considered dangerous. Some examples of Schedule II drugs are: Combination products with less than 15 milligrams of hydrocodone per dosage unit (Vicodin), coc aine, methamphetamine, methadone, hydromorphone (Dilaudid), meperidine (Demerol), oxycodone (OxyContin), fentanyl, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Ritalin

Schedule 3

Schedule III Schedule III drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a moderate to low potential for physical and psychological dependence. Schedule III drugs abuse potential is less than Schedule I and Schedule II drugs but more than Schedule IV. Some examples of Schedule III drugs are: Products containing less than 90 milligrams of codeine per dosage unit (Tylenol with codeine), ketamine, anabolic steroids, testosterone

Schedule 4

Schedule IV Schedule IV drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. Some examples of Schedule IV drugs are: Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol

What say ATS members, and those that truly wish to “Deny Ignorance” is Alcohol the True Gateway Drug?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Positives:
  • Makes women look better
  • Makes my muscles larger
  • Makes me smarter
  • Makes you dumber
  • Makes me a better debater
  • Tastes awesome
  • Improves the consumption of steak
  • Makes me even more gropey
  • Makes you like my gropey-ness

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

More addictive than coc aine really, superseded by only the likes of Tobacco, if truth be told.

That won't stop us drinking the stuff all the same, and any gooberments silly enough to attempt to ban the stuff won't be around long enough to appreciate any benefits to be had by doing so.

The trick i imagine, just like everything else, lies in moderation.
edit on 19-1-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Nice thought out post with some good stats! It's funny how "they" can put you away one minute for an illegal drug, yet every single one of them not only use the worst one, but have their cabinets stocked full of it, and include it as a must for their social gatherings. Talk about 2+2=5.....

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

couldnt agree more, Ive always said that. Honestly, every single bad thing to happen in my life over 51 years had to do with my, or someone elses consumption of alcohol.

I tried weed the 1st time in my youth because I was drunk, C..ke the 1st time because I was drunk, and even '___' the 1st time, because I was drunk...

Dont even get me started on all the coyote nights, because of alcohol.

ah memories...kinda

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

No one was talking banning here, just the facts, and that it does fall technically under the DEA schedule list.

Maybe they should just legalize everything?

But like you said we seem to be subjectively lying to ourselves, but at what cost.

(post by MarkOfTheV removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

you are right. alcohol is a huge problem. but what is it you are wanting? prohibition was tried before, and DID NOT WORK. all it did was to make criminals rich. much like the war on drugs has. it certainly did not stop people from drinking. it did not stop all the associated negative effects from drinking, because people did not stop drinking. in fact an awful lot of what you have said are the reasons the temperance movement used to create prohibition. as for making it socially unacceptable that really has not worked well for tobacco. many young people still start smoking at young ages, much like they still use drugs which are both socially unacceptable as well as illegal.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

"Maybe they should just legalize everything?"

Exactly, you see that would introduce quality control, remove the criminal element that surrounds the sale of illegal products, and also allow appropriate taxation to be applied.

Then you use the proceeds of said taxation to fund proper programs for those that experience any detrimental effects.

Simple really, but the halfwit do-gooders, and control freaks, hell-bent on telling us what to do or how to feel will never be able to see the forest for the trees.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Double post, my bad.
edit on 19-1-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

As a functional alcoholic, I can attest to this.

One of the most acceptable drugs on the planet is actually the worst.

We live in a topsy turvy world.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well said! Legalize everything and let people be. Some of the most inteligent, creative, insperational and empethetic individuals are or have been enjoying substances. Most of the time drugs are not a problem, it is running out of them, finding more and affording the overpriced crimanal cartels supplies. Remove the criminal element, regulate the products, and remove the social stigma and the mental health issues would diminish too.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

As a functional alcoholic, I can attest to this.

One of the most acceptable drugs on the planet is actually the worst.

We live in a topsy turvy world.

I appreciate your honesty, and understand your situation.

I grew up in a family where it caused untold destruction/chaos, and many generations prior to that as well. I have dedicated myself these days to a social drink, once in awhile, but could see how easy it would be to consume it daily. The Scots/Irish side is drawn to the smell taste, and aroma of hard liquor, especially expensive tequilas and single malt Scotch.

Being a single dad has made me not take any chances, on losing myself, or my rights due to alcohol, so I stay as far away as possible. I've seen to many single dads lose their custody rights due to drug abuse.

Banning something would only make things worse, imo, and create a huge black-market, but legalization of everything would need to be met with early-on mandatory education, for children to be able to critically think.

Only reason I say mandatory is that the brainwashing we get, needs to be countered so young people are able to think for themselves, instead of falling prey to economic, and social hypnotic agendas.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
After attempting to read this, I need a drink. I rarely drink but all that talk about drinking reminded me how much I enjoyed myself while drinking and also reminded me of the hangovers I used to get after having over two beers. So one drink might make me happy, no hangover, and it might help stop me from getting a cold if itis a Hot toddy.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don’t believe the government has any more right to tell us what to put in our bodies than it does our mind.

And I type this with a head splitting hangover.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

The government don't need the right, just there inclination towards control over every aspect of our daily lives is enough to warrant such outright draconian measures.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join