It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#TheBestMenCanBe #Gillette

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: InTheLight

I'm a simple man.

A simple man still wondering about your bra.

Truer words never spoken.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think they are using this commercial as a vehicle to roll out their new line dick straight razors. I hear the slogan is

“Just cut it off”.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
I think they are using this commercial as a vehicle to roll out their new line dick straight razors. I hear the slogan is

“Just cut it off”.

Only if you think that having a dick is the best a man can be.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Those are only your perceived life lessons, so sure own them. But it is arrogant to assume the person you beat up has learned any valuable life lesson other than to steer clear of you. The violence and inability to handle and deal with the situation in a civil way remains.

AGAIN. I am not saying this is the first response....at all. This is a last resort that should happen after all civil responses have failed. Which, happens more times that you are willing to admit.

But, you keep your arrogant head in the sand, and continue to think you know more about the male experience than actual males because you talked to men and heard "expert" spout on about what is "right". Experts, I may add, that are hired to advocate that exact approach to protect the legal health of the organization that pays their salary.

Yes, by all mean believe them over someone that experiences the situation first-hand. To you that is more valuable since it does not threaten your ego.

I have first-hand experience, but you keep deflecting. Your experience is not every other man's experience.

As I said before, the lawmakers make laws that the people want, ergo, society deems physical assault to be wrong, illegal and so there you have it.

Please tell me when you were a little boy being bullied, and were forced to fight back. Then the two of you became lifelong friends to this day. Tell me about your first-hand experience as a little boy....please. This I have to hear.

Anything less is NOT first-hand experience not matter how hard you try to make it so....never.

I was considered a tom boy, one day while at the park on the swing, a boy came up grabbed the two swing chains and told me if I didn't get off the swing he would beat me up. I kicked him in the nuts and when he fell under me I kicked him in the head. He was saved by the Park Trainer and banned from the park for two weeks. When he returned he decided he loved me.

Some boys considered me one of them and acted accordingly, to their demise.

Being a "tom boy" is not being a real boy. Sorry. It just isn't the same.

And, given that you used violence to stop the attack, and his attitude turned around kind of dispels you own stance and confirms mine, doesn't it? He seemed to have more respect for you after you fought back, didn't he?

Isn't that odd??

It was the late 50s early 60s, that was what we kids had to do. That was the programming at the time. If I could do it all over again I, and if I was taught how to handle a situation like that, I would have yelled for the Park Trainer to throw his ass out of the park, without me having to hurt him.

I didn't want his respect, because I did not respect him for being a bully.

And I guarantee you had you done that (called the ranger) the next attack from him would have been worse and continued. Whether you accept his respect or not is irrelevant isn't it? It happened....and you can't accept that as a fact even in your own experience.

But, we are "more evolved today"., so evolved that we prevent boys from defending themselves up to the point that they snap and decide to kill everyone in the school. Yeah. real evolved. No thanks. I don't advocate creating mass killers because of "feelz".

OMG you have gone right off the deep end with this.

Are you denying that most of the school shooters were previously bullied in that school and were prevented form dealing with it in small doses as we used to do? Who is off the deep end now?

And I am serious...deadly serious.

How could these troubled people be prevented from dealing with it if their friends, parents and school authorities knew what was happening? Education is key to helping kids worth through bullying and from what I see, it far worse than what you or I had to deal with.

Because telling the "authorities" only makes it worse. Don't you see that? The "zero tolerance" policies punish the victim as well as the bully. And, in many cases the bullies get no punishment because they are key sports players in the school (we used to call them "jocks"). Want to talk about toxic masculinity? That area is a key player in that space. Yet. they are coddled because they provide ans important role for the school (usually linked with $$$). That drives the victim kid to bottle up and "take it" for fear of him getting punished.

Eventually, that powder keg will explode given one final spark.

More reason for men (coaches) to step up and teach those jocks how to handle those types of situations.

That solution has proven not to work, and can (and does) make the situation worse. Do you honestly think that a coach is going to punish his star players and risk losing the game/championship and still keep his job? Really??

If you think so, then you are living in a fantasy world. So, your suggested solutions should be considered in the same light (or more appropriately rose colored light).

I know what the mission statements and true feelings are with educators, because I worked with many different people over the decades in that environment. They would not agree with your assessment in this day and age considering bullying and violence may result in deadly outcomes. Education and intervention is necessary and kids should not be left on their own to figure it out.

Obviously, they are correct and successful (sarc). Just ignore the rapid increase in mass school killings and violence at that age that seems to have begun (coincidentally) around the time this mass social experiment began in the 1970's. Which increased in the 1980's. Then was further enhanced in the 1990's when Big Pharma realized there was a market in this area for SSRI's for children. Big $$$ to be had, the hell with the children and their mental well being.

Yeah, no correlation there at all. None

(massive eye roll)

edit on 1/15/2019 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors

link   

What is a feminine man? Never saw or met one of those before.

BEHOLD!

en.wikipedia.org...

link   

Well we're certainly not at our best without it.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Those are only your perceived life lessons, so sure own them. But it is arrogant to assume the person you beat up has learned any valuable life lesson other than to steer clear of you. The violence and inability to handle and deal with the situation in a civil way remains.

AGAIN. I am not saying this is the first response....at all. This is a last resort that should happen after all civil responses have failed. Which, happens more times that you are willing to admit.

But, you keep your arrogant head in the sand, and continue to think you know more about the male experience than actual males because you talked to men and heard "expert" spout on about what is "right". Experts, I may add, that are hired to advocate that exact approach to protect the legal health of the organization that pays their salary.

Yes, by all mean believe them over someone that experiences the situation first-hand. To you that is more valuable since it does not threaten your ego.

I have first-hand experience, but you keep deflecting. Your experience is not every other man's experience.

As I said before, the lawmakers make laws that the people want, ergo, society deems physical assault to be wrong, illegal and so there you have it.

Please tell me when you were a little boy being bullied, and were forced to fight back. Then the two of you became lifelong friends to this day. Tell me about your first-hand experience as a little boy....please. This I have to hear.

Anything less is NOT first-hand experience not matter how hard you try to make it so....never.

I was considered a tom boy, one day while at the park on the swing, a boy came up grabbed the two swing chains and told me if I didn't get off the swing he would beat me up. I kicked him in the nuts and when he fell under me I kicked him in the head. He was saved by the Park Trainer and banned from the park for two weeks. When he returned he decided he loved me.

Some boys considered me one of them and acted accordingly, to their demise.

Being a "tom boy" is not being a real boy. Sorry. It just isn't the same.

And, given that you used violence to stop the attack, and his attitude turned around kind of dispels you own stance and confirms mine, doesn't it? He seemed to have more respect for you after you fought back, didn't he?

Isn't that odd??

It was the late 50s early 60s, that was what we kids had to do. That was the programming at the time. If I could do it all over again I, and if I was taught how to handle a situation like that, I would have yelled for the Park Trainer to throw his ass out of the park, without me having to hurt him.

I didn't want his respect, because I did not respect him for being a bully.

And I guarantee you had you done that (called the ranger) the next attack from him would have been worse and continued. Whether you accept his respect or not is irrelevant isn't it? It happened....and you can't accept that as a fact even in your own experience.

But, we are "more evolved today"., so evolved that we prevent boys from defending themselves up to the point that they snap and decide to kill everyone in the school. Yeah. real evolved. No thanks. I don't advocate creating mass killers because of "feelz".

OMG you have gone right off the deep end with this.

Are you denying that most of the school shooters were previously bullied in that school and were prevented form dealing with it in small doses as we used to do? Who is off the deep end now?

And I am serious...deadly serious.

How could these troubled people be prevented from dealing with it if their friends, parents and school authorities knew what was happening? Education is key to helping kids worth through bullying and from what I see, it far worse than what you or I had to deal with.

Because telling the "authorities" only makes it worse. Don't you see that? The "zero tolerance" policies punish the victim as well as the bully. And, in many cases the bullies get no punishment because they are key sports players in the school (we used to call them "jocks"). Want to talk about toxic masculinity? That area is a key player in that space. Yet. they are coddled because they provide ans important role for the school (usually linked with $$$). That drives the victim kid to bottle up and "take it" for fear of him getting punished.

Eventually, that powder keg will explode given one final spark.

More reason for men (coaches) to step up and teach those jocks how to handle those types of situations.

That solution has proven not to work, and can (and does) make the situation worse. Do you honestly think that a coach is going to punish his star players and risk losing the game/championship and still keep his job? Really??

If you think so, then you are living in a fantasy world. So, your suggested solutions should be considered in the same light (or more appropriately rose colored light).

I know what the mission statements and true feelings are with educators, because I worked with many different people over the decades in that environment. They would not agree with your assessment in this day and age considering bullying and violence may result in deadly outcomes. Education and intervention is necessary and kids should not be left on their own to figure it out.

Obviously, they are correct and successful (sarc). Just ignore the rapid increase in mass school killings and violence at that age that seems to have begun (coincidentally) around the time this mass social experiment began in the 1970's. Which increased in the 1980's. Then was further enhanced in the 1990's when Big Pharma realized there was a market in this area for SSRI's for children. Bug $$$ to be had, the hell with the children and their mental well being.

Yeah, no correlation there at all. None

(massive eye roll)

The help is there if they look for it. If you are dealing with mental illness, then that is a whole other animal. It always seems that the most at risk kids fall through the cracks. Maybe we should be talking about that.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

What is a feminine man? Never saw or met one of those before.

BEHOLD!

en.wikipedia.org...

That is not a man, keep trying.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: YouSir
a reply to: Boadicea

Ummm...ohhhhh...struck a nerve huh...you must have read the whole series...

And liked it...

Says the wuss with his head in the gutter who talked about me rather than to me in quite insulting terms... but somehow when I have the big brass ones YOU LACK to actually address you directly, I'm the one who had a nerve struck?

Teeheehee!!! That's just too funny.

Ummm...I don’t even buy Gillette...I don’t really care about their campaign...it doesn’t affect me in any way...

Nor did I insult you personally...I spoke in generalities...percentages...and majorities...
NOT...to you personally...It was only after you insulted me that I even satirically stated...that you must have read the series...

It was your indignant...personally insulting response...just like the one I just quoted...that brought about that nerve of yours...

Look...it’s all good...you can chuckle over your personal attack...it’s not hurting my feelings...just the opposite...

You ended up trolling yourself...you let emotion over my stating fact cloud your responses...

I can forgive you for all of that...toxic femininity...

Have a nice day...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

And liked it...

Says the wuss with his head in the gutter who talked about me rather than to me in quite insulting terms... but somehow when I have the big brass ones YOU LACK to actually address you directly, I'm the one who had a nerve struck?

Ummm...I don’t even buy Gillette...I don’t really care about their campaign...it doesn’t affect me in any way...

Nor did I insult you personally...I spoke in generalities...percentages...and majorities...
NOT...to you personally...It was only after you insulted me that I even satirically stated...that you must have read the series...

It was your indignant...personally insulting response...just like the one I just quoted...that brought about that nerve of yours...

Look...it’s all good...you can chuckle over your personal attack...it’s not hurting my feelings...just the opposite...

You ended up trolling yourself...you let emotion over my stating fact cloud your responses...

Have a nice day...

YouSir

Nope, I followed your comments to her and you did indeed insult and belittle, but we know it's just your way.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

"Fifty Shades of Grey has topped best-seller lists around the world, selling over 125 million copies worldwide by June 2015" but yet no one has read it or knows anyone that has. Hmmmmmmmmm

Okay. BFD. What's your point? What does this have to do with the OP at all?

Why are my reading habits, much less my opinion of erotica, even part of this discussion? Other than to be quite vile and vulgar and shut me up? Do you somehow have to presume the worst of me in order to feel better about yourself and your position regarding very real male abuse and bullying, as opposed to your unfounded beliefs about me? I have very clearly stated that I am a married woman and ALL THINGS SEXUAL are off limits. I don't believe for a minute that you would be okay with some guy talking to your wife about these things, and I don't believe for a minute that you consider this a decent conversation to have with me. Exactly the opposite.

But here's the thing. You cannot bully me. Say all the vile and vulgar and obscene and disrespectful things you want. We both know it says everything about you, and nothing about me.

Oh! And it proves the point of the commercial.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

It is a male... I'll agree that it ain't no man, but it also ain't no woman, so I'm not exactly sure where that leaves us.

That's part of the problem with this type of ad campaign. What definition of "man" is Gilette using? If it's the ideology of what makes a man a man, then their ad campaign is probably OK if not debatable. If, however, they're using the generalized "man" = "male" position, then they've stepped in it because we live in a crazy-ass world where crazy-ass people believe whatever they claim to be must be what everyone else calls them... meaning, Gillette is violating the PC code by questioning anyone's position as a self declared "man."

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The help is there if they look for it. If you are dealing with mental illness, then that is a whole other animal. It always seems that the most at risk kids fall through the cracks. Maybe we should be talking about that.

I agree, wholeheartedly. But that still is orthogonal to the discussion that being a boy growing into a man sometimes requires a violent reaction to a bully. And that is OK, and normal. It is not an expression of "toxic masculinity", it is a reaction to an extreme attack and can have a positive impact upon their learning what it means to be a man. And can be used as part of his journey toward manhood. After all, if you expect him as an adult to speak up and defend someone being bullied, they need to know it is OK to do that. Doing that as a child is part of learning you have that ability.

edit on 1/15/2019 by Krakatoa because: fixed quoting

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Seeing Ana kasparian says all I need to know.

Regardless, I don't use razors often and when I do, they aren't Gillette.

Guess I've no poodle in this kennel.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

It is a male... I'll agree that it ain't no man, but it also ain't no woman, so I'm not exactly sure where that leaves us.

That's part of the problem with this type of ad campaign. What definition of "man" is Gilette using? If it's the ideology of what makes a man a man, then their ad campaign is probably OK if not debatable. If, however, they're using the generalized "man" = "male" position, then they've stepped in it because we live in a crazy-ass world where crazy-ass people believe whatever they claim to be must be what everyone else calls them... meaning, Gillette is violating the PC code by questioning anyone's position as a self declared "man."

This is what their message intent was/is:

"This was intended to simply say that the enemy for all of us is inaction." The company has more videos lined up as part of the larger branding effort, which includes donating $1 million a year for the next three years to organizations like the Boys & Girls Club of America.

Inaction.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

And liked it...

Have a nice day...

YouSir

Nope, I followed your comments to her and you did indeed insult and belittle, but we know it's just your way.

Ummm...please quote where I belittled or insulted yourself or her...

I spoke in general...nothing was explicitly directed to either of you...you merely sought offense because that’s the easy way past accepting everything else I stated in this thread...and all of it true...factual...and verifiable...

I personally don’t practice the fine art of being offended by things not directed directly to me...not only that...I actually agree that some men are Neanderthals...that being said...none of us escapes our natures...nor do we evolve beyond them...

Thank you for being such a willing subject in this episode of...”Down the primrose path”...

Do tune in next time...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

"I don't believe for a minute that you would be okay with some guy talking to your wife about these things, and I don't believe for a minute that you consider this a decent conversation to have with me."

My wife read it, her sisters and daughter read it, all her female friends read it, we went to get our taxes done; she had read it. Overwhelming popularity but no woman here even met anyone that ever read it. Then someone else said probably men or trans men bought all the copies.

I just think at least one of you is not being altogether honest. If you don't want to talk about it, fine.

Don't go into attack mode. If you bully me I might cry.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I agree, wholeheartedly. But that still is orthogonal to the discussion that being a boy growing into a man sometimes requires a violent reaction to a bully. And that is OK, and normal. It is not an expression of "toxic masculinity", it is a reaction to an extreme attack and can have a positive impact upon their learning what it means to be a man. And can be used as part of his journey toward manhood. After all, if you expect him as an adult to speak up and defend someone being bullied, they need to know it is OK to do that. Doing that as a child is part of learning you have that ability.

A violent reaction could be avoided with proper education and social strategies, but toxic masculinity has to do with 'inaction' and acceptance that the only self-defense strategies in confrontations is physical violence. Did you see in the video where two young men were about to fight and another stepped in and defused the situation, then they shook hands. Defusing the situation; a strategy which seems to be left to the wayside.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

And liked it...

Have a nice day...

YouSir

Ummm...please quote where I belittled or insulted yourself or her...

I spoke in general...nothing was explicitly directed to either of you...you merely sought offense because that’s the easy way past accepting everything else I stated in this thread...and all of it true...factual...and verifiable...

I personally don’t practice the fine art of being offended by things not directed directly to me...not only that...I actually agree that some men are Neanderthals...that being said...none of us escapes our natures...nor do we evolve beyond them...

Thank you for being such a willing subject in this episode of...”Down the primrose path”...

Do tune in next time...

YouSir

"Down the path of least resistance" exists too.
edit on 01CST01America/Chicago04110131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm...sorry...62% of women have fantasized about being forcefully ravished/raped by a hero figure...

Ummm...sorry...62% of collegewomen, and the study in question did not ask one consistent question, but varied between "overpowered" -- which can be interpreted as emotional rather than physical, in other words "seduced" -- or "rape," which is literally a violent act.

But you gotta dig deep to protect your fragile male ego from us womenfolk, eh?

Just keeping things in perspective...

Better than you realize... much better. Thank you!

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join