It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal news shows are much less popular than we are led to believe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I was reviewing the numbers from a video sharing platform that I use from time to time and I was really shocked at what I saw when it came to the news shows that I had viewed and those that were offered by the site. The shows I'm talking about are things like Rachel Maddow, Vice News, Bill Maher, Samantha Bee, Daily show, Colbert (his new show), Kimmel, Fallon, Seth Meyers, etc. I found that these shows had some of the lowest numbers of views or downloads by other people at a rate of 10-100:1, when looking in the same catagory. Granted there aren't a lot of consevative shows but those there are had about 10-100x more view than the "liberal" leaning shows.

The site I use shows how many other people view the exact video you have from the time you receive it (it kind of shares the distribution in a way, or at least the list of shows available).

This type of list and numbers can not be manipulated by the media to say that show XXX has more or less viewers than it does as the software is what is keeping track of the requests, what it sends, etc, not a centralized ratings company (Neilson or whatever).

I find this pretty interesting and am going to try to get a wider variety of shows and see how the numbers play out, if there really is a huge difference in demand as compared to what the MSM reports the viewers #'s to be. The numbers I have go back to June of last year, so it's a fair amount of data (about 40-50 shows a week).

The difference in these results could be explained away by saying that "liberals" aren't using the system and only conservatives are, but we are often told that the largest part of the conservative base is "older people" (insert race if you wish..) who I REALLY doubt are using this system to get their news, so that would still mean that whoever is on the system doesn't want the liberal point of view.

And for those who will say that it's just people not viewing from my account, it doesn't work like that, it's shared across the system and I have one of the faster services which results in a very high amount of viewers accessing (it's a blind request/service system - as per username).

So, just thought I would share this b/c I was really amazed at the numbers I was seeing, they were consistently the lowest requested/shared videos in my queue - lower than Dr Pimple popper (only viewed to see what it was) by FAR.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

LINK(s)?

Quote from source?

Both of those are required, when starting a thread in the "Political Issues" forum of ATS.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There are liberal news shows? Why?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

So liberals can live inside their echo chambers?

(Acts as a healing room where rejuvenation happens, it's all fake smoke and mirrors of course, but the effects can be observed).

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

So that they can receive the seven-hundred-times-per-day message that ‘Orange Man Bad’.

OP, is it really a surprise that liberal shows receive 100 times less views than non-liberal shows?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

So if we take it as true that there is a lot more viewing of conservative programing then liberal programing

And we also take it that the MSM is brainwashing and propaganda pushing news outlets

Then dosen't it make sense that it is conservatives who are more likely to be propagandized and brainwashed by msm?

On a side not to the OP, Dr. Pimple Popper, is that a conservative or liberal program. In either event it is discusting.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I've always thought that liberal shows tend not to thrive in other formats because they own the main airwaves on TV. You can simply turn on cable anytime, anywhere for whatever you want to hear from them. No need to go out of your way to dig that stuff up.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Rachel Maddow, I feel my brain cells dying the longer she speaks and it takes her 20 minutes to explain anything.
Vice News, haven't really paid any attention to this show.
Bill Maher, I like Bill always have.
Samantha Bee, not on my radar at all
Daily show, don't watch it
Colbert (his new show), sometimes watch clips of his show, he is funny like Bill
Kimmel, rarely do I watch Jimmy
Fallon, Don't know who this is
Seth Meyers,...........
I don't watch any right leaning media, guess I'm not angry enough. I used to like alex jones and jesse ventura but not so much any more.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Liberals watch fewer hours of talking heads than conservatives?
I would assume that it's also true that liberals listen to fewer hours of talk radio, probably due to there aren't many choices.

If that is the case, it explains the rock solid mindsets of those that listen to more of that kind of media.
Where the news is "explained" in a way that gives birth to viral talking points.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SingswithChickens1

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the winds blowing.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
That is all BS, one just needs to look a Don lemon's salary to understand they have millions watching...

his salary in the neighborhood of $128,000 annually.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Damn, that's a sad salary for a TV personality. Still more than he deserves though. Don's a joke.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think people here on ATS pay more attention to political BS on the news than regular people do. Real citizens know the news is mostly fake, they do not believe this liberal fake slander much around here. Some got sucked in at first but over a period of time learned that the Democrats and Liberals are just being troublemakers. Even the liberals here don't read or watch the MSM stuff anymore, they learned it is all twisted, their eyes were opened months ago to all the BS that is being spewed.

I think maybe if they do not start getting rid of all the BS people are going to start recalling congressmen and put people in who will negotiate and start working for the people instead of their party. The Democrats are by far going to get hit the worst if people start doing this, but there will also be some of the Republicans that are stirring things up that will be ousted. Citizens on both sides are getting sick of this crap already, it is only a matter of time before everyone in the middle starts sticking together..

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Considering shows on both sides of the aisle are essentially packaged for idiots, what does this actually tell you? That, will otherwise equally divided, MORE republican idiots follow that trash?
I have to believe the other side represents their idiots through some other measurable. Fake news is sensationalism. A few tweets does not a crisis make, and we're sold everything as if the world were ending. Hopefully it desensitizes us all enough to eventually ignore. Sure have been some bumps along the way, so far!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Like I said in the OP, this could mean a few things b/c we don't know how many people who are using the service are liberal vs conservative but I highly suspect that the users are from the younger ages to middle age and in those demographics we have been told that they lean more liberal than conservative, so I expected that the numbers would be much closer in views/shares. All the shows are available on a standard cable package (except maybe Vice and Maher) or over-the-air, so there is no reason to really think the viewers couldn't get this proramming elsewhere

This wasn't ground breaking or anything but it is an interesting tidbit of information IMO b/c we don't have very good sources for the popularity of programming, at least sources that we can trust not to be biased.

When you look at Youtube and consider the views, there are so many conservative channels or videos that have been shut down or deleted only to be re-uploaded later, so all the previous views have been lost, which really distorts the popularity, ranking, etc of the videos (which effects trending topics and what people see). This software/program I use makes it impossible to manipulate this data, so that is why I thought it was interesting.

On a side note, the Dr Pimple popper that someone replied about - that wasn't either lib/con, it was just a funny comparison that even that show had much higher views than Sam Bee, Maddow and the others..

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

People just watch those shows on other platforms is all.

It appears that you are judging viewership based on one platforms views.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Liberals watch fewer hours of talking heads than conservatives?
I would assume that it's also true that liberals listen to fewer hours of talk radio, probably due to there aren't many choices.

If that is the case, it explains the rock solid mindsets of those that listen to more of that kind of media.
Where the news is "explained" in a way that gives birth to viral talking points.

That's true of this liberal. I don't watch news/talk shows. I do read newspapers/news websites but I'm not as interested in someone else's opinion and I prefer news without outrage. I do sometimes watch Colbert (a day or a week or a month later) but I'm not a regular viewer.

I may listen to PBS news in the morning (if the husband has turned it on in the bathroom when he gets up.)

My (liberal) daughter watches Colbert and Samantha Bee and another whose name escapes me. I suspect that it's also generational.

As to the OP, your browser may not be delivering the same results as mine. If you want to see how popular a show is, check the ratings index rather than looking at Youtube. Some of the sites (like BBC) have their own websites where people would access the programs.

AdWeek has ratings

Zap2it is a very reliable site with numbers - we used it when we were campaigning to save The X-Files.

And then there's the Nielson ratings...

It seems the news can't keep up with sports in terms of ratings.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Most people choose to reject reality and embrace an diversion. Who in their right mind wants to come home and hear about the worlds realities? You either tug at their heart cockles or feed their fears and rage.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Most people choose to reject reality and embrace an diversion. Who in their right mind wants to come home and hear about the worlds realities? You either tug at their heart cockles or feed their fears and rage.

Actually, I do like the news and I know a number of others do. We're "information junkies".

The headlines may be full of attention grabbers but there's a lot of other things to learn about in the news.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join