It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: China Releases First Panoramic Shot From The Dark Side Of The Moon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It's the far side of the moon. Not the dark side. It gets as much light as the front side. We just don't see it.

Don't worry I will keep my day job

edit on 19131America/ChicagoFri, 11 Jan 2019 11:19:59 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
I also think it looks fake. Ironically, It's made in China.

The perceived fakeness might be due to the fact there is no haze in the air to give clues of distance.

Our brains use the idea that when things are far away, the added air through which we view them makes them look a little hazy compared to things that are close to us. Therefore, our brains -- which are always looking for clues to figure out how far away things (like threats) are away from us -- are always looking for that haziness. When our brains don't see that, the brain considers it odd, foreign, not normal.

When mountains on the lunar horizon, which should be far away, looks as sharp and clear as it would if it were close to you, your brain gets confused.

Your brain has no frame of reference for the way things look on the Moon, so you may perceive the oddness of it all as being fake.

edit on 1/11/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would think China would have a lot to gain if they had photos of bases on the moon. It would expose a cover-up by NASA and the U.S. Government. It would also make a lot of Americans angry that our government kept it secret from the American people and the world.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
I would think China would have a lot to gain if they had photos of bases on the moon. It would expose a cover-up by NASA and the U.S. Government. It would also make a lot of Americans angry that our government kept it secret from the American people and the world.

If that were the case, then you'd think all of those bases would have been "outed" by now if they existed, considering how many countries have already been able to send probes to photograph the far side of the moon over the past few decades.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Totally fake. We all know that the moon is flat!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Can someone explain to me why we aren't making temporary base on the moon to train Astronauts prior to going to Mars?
The moon would be a great place to test structural material and equipment before landing on another planet.

This is a really nice photo and captures a lot of detail however I was expecting the far side to consist entirely of cheese.
I'd like to see what China's space program does next.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

"There is no dark side of the moon really
as a matter of fact its all dark"

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaghettiHero
Can someone explain to me why we aren't making temporary base on the moon to train Astronauts prior to going to Mars?
The moon would be a great place to test structural material and equipment before landing on another planet.

That is the overall general plan in place for NASA right now for Mars exploration: Use the Moon as a stepping stone to Mars:

NASA Unveils Sustainable Campaign to Return to Moon, on to Mars

NASA's Exploration Campaign: Back to the Moon and on to Mars

It just takes money and the will to spend it.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

This is a really nice photo and captures a lot of detail however I was expecting the far side to consist entirely of cheese.

Probably because we cannot get past the VAN ALLEN BELT and stay alive.

We also cannot survive in space for more than 6 months.

So we cant make the trip to mars.
edit on 11-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

For the Van Allen belt part, why not just go through the thinner and less dense parts where the radiation is lower, and go through it quickly -- thus minimizing the exposure to radiation?

But you are correct that long-duration missions outside of the Earth's protective magnetic field would require additional radiation shielding that would not be required for shorter missions.

Polyethylene plastic (or any plastic dense in hydrogen) might be a good basis for lighter-weight shielding for cosmic particle radiation.

Plastic Could Protect Astronauts from Deep-Space Radiation

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Sources please?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

For the Van Allen belt part, why not just go through the thinner and less dense parts where the radiation is lower, and go through it quickly -- thus minimizing the exposure to radiation?

But you are correct that long-duration missions outside of the Earth's protective magnetosphere would require additional radiation shielding that would not be required for shorter missions.

Polyethylene plastic (or any plastic dense in hydrogen) might be a good basis for lighter-weight shielding for cosmic particle radiation.

Its not just the radiation we need the gravity of earth to survive. Humans are kind of tuned to earth and cannot survive out of our envoronment unless we have some way to simulate the earth in all her glory in a space ship.

After 6 months of being in space we dont even look human anymore we start to puff up and our eyes go blind. the kinds of innovation we would need to live in space for long periods of time has yet to be revealed to earthbound humans.

I dont know maybe they have secretly figured it out and made supermen who could live in space for long periods of time and still function normally, however some would say they were no longer human if such hypothetical people existed.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake

Sources please?

You dont know about the Van Allen Belt?

Really?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyATS
Totally fake. We all know that the moon is flat!

It may be flat, but it's still round like a pie! Do your science!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

But you are correct that long-duration missions outside of the Earth's protective magnetosphere would require additional radiation shielding that would not be required for shorter missions.

Its not just the radiation we need the gravity of earth to survive. Humans are kind of tuned to earth and cannot survive out of our envoronment unless we have some way to simulate the earth in all her glory in a space ship.

After 6 months of being in space we dont even look human anymore we start to puff up and our eyes go blind. the kinds of innovation we would need to live in space for long periods of time has yet to be revealed to earthbound humans.

I dont know maybe they have secretly figured it out and made supermen who could live in space for long periods of time and still function normally, however some would say they were no longer human if such hypothetical people existed.

While you are correct that living in zero-G for long durations causes harm to humans, it is NOT accurate to say that humans stop looking human and go blind after 6 months because of zero-G conditions. Space station astronauts have lived on the station for 6 months and more (NASA astronaut Scott Kelley lived on the station for a year) without going blind or puffing up until they no longer looked human.

Granted, there were issues of muscle atrophy and bone density. Exercise might be able to reduce those harmful effects somewhat, but they cannot minimize them to safe levels.

The best answer to minimizing the effects of a trip to Mars would be to develop propulsion technologies that might get us there more quickly -- tuning an 18-24 month round-trip mission into a 12-month (or quicker) mission.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

After 6 months of being in space we dont even look human anymore we start to puff up and our eyes go blind.

Our hearts also drastically cut back on pumping blood to our legs, which would eventually make your legs shrivel up to not much more than flesh-covered bones (the bones will also go away, too). Yeah, you can essentially exercise constantly while you're in space, or you can shrivel up to become like this guy:

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Have you got a source for this? People have spent 6 months on the ISS without going blind or becoming deformed.

Long-term periods in space do create problems for human physiologies and it's something that's being addressed with fitness regimes to maintain bone density and muscle mass. You're right in the sense that early astronauts came back and could barely walk after extended periods. Since then the effects are being reduced even though it's still a big consideration for any long trips.

ETA - turn the sound down on this one!

edit on 1.11.2019 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake

Sources please?

You dont know about the Van Allen Belt?

Really?

As I mentioned, there are thinner parts of the Van Allen Belts where a spacecraft can minimize the exposure to radiation to levels that could be considered low-risk.

For example, the Apollo missions went out of their way on a circuitous trajectory (and using more fuel to do so) to corkscrew their way through a thin part of the van Allen Belt. This trajectory allowed the Apollo capsule and the astronauts to go through a part of the belt that was (a) lower in radiation, and (b) not as wide.

This trajectory resulted in a low radiation exposure that was deemed to provide a lower and acceptable risk of health issues due to radiation exposure.

As for the polyethene shielding I mentioned in another post, The Apollo astronauts did not have this (they used fibrous insulation as shielding), but the new Orion capsule is outfitted with the plastic shielding that may allow them to go through some relatively thicker parts of the Van Allen Belts, thus hopefully cutting back a bit on the circuitous outbound trajectories required during the Apollo missions.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I am no expert but as far as I know the longest humans can survive in space without risking serious life thretening health conditions is 6 months. As for the blindness that is eyesight disorders, deformity comes form bloodflow changes and bone density loss. There is also the long term exposure to cosmic radiation. Not trying to shoot down anyones hopes of living in space on the moon or goin to mars. Just saying according to our current science humans cannot survive in space and be healthy enough to take a walk once they arrive on mars if they were taking a trip to mars.

en.wikipedia.org...
Spaceflight-induced visual impairment is hypothesized to be a result of increased intracranial pressure. The study of visual changes and intracranial pressure (ICP) in astronauts on long-duration flights is a relatively recent topic of interest to Space Medicine professionals. Although reported signs and symptoms have not appeared to be severe enough to cause blindness in the near term, long term consequences of chronically elevated intracranial pressure is unknown

en.wikipedia.org...
Venturing into the environment of space can have negative effects on the human body.[1] Significant adverse effects of long-term weightlessness include muscle atrophy and deterioration of the skeleton (spaceflight osteopenia).[2] Other significant effects include a slowing of cardiovascular system functions, decreased production of red blood cells, balance disorders, eyesight disorders and a weakening of the immune system. Additional symptoms include fluid redistribution (causing the "moon-face" appearance typical in pictures of astronauts experiencing weightlessness),[3][4] loss of body mass, nasal congestion, sleep disturbance, and excess flatulence.

gizmodo.com...
There is evidence that extended periods in space can result in dysregulation of the immune system. While there isn't too much risk of being exposed to pathogens, a compromised immune system can result in unwanted autoimmune responses and hypersensitivity.

Out in space, astronauts are exposed to galactic cosmic radiation, solar radiation, solar cosmic particles, and geomagnetically bound radiation. All these types of radiation are so prevalent that, when astronauts close their eyes, they often still "see" bright flashes, as cosmic rays hit their optic nerves.

Radiation exposure can result in cell death or cause mutations resulting in cancers or epigenetic effects. Some systems are quite sensitive to radiation and their functions can quickly become impaired, such as the immune system, bone marrow system and eyes, which could develop cataracts.

We do our best to provide shielding, but paradoxically, shielding can result in more exposure by what is called secondary radiation. When an energetic particle hits the shielding material it can emit gamma rays and energetic neutrons. NASA takes astronaut radiation exposure very seriously. We both monitor the exposure of each crew member for individual missions and maintain a total career tally. When they hit the allowed threshold, they can be prohibited from flying ever again.

www.quora.com...
BULLET POINT LIST OF EFFECTS

Here is a list of some of the known issues of zero g:
•bone loss, lose 1 or 2% of your bone mass every month in load bearing parts of your skeleton such as feet. (Your skull and other parts that don't bear weight are unaffected by this - see Robert Frost's answer).
•eye problems (many astronauts have short term issues after their flight, and there's been one case of irreversible damage to sight as a result of zero g),
•thinner blood (reduction in blood cell count can be as much as 15% after two weeks in space),
•more blood in the upper body,
•increased resting heart rate,
•greatly increased levels of adrenaline,
•reduced digestion leading to malnutrition
•issues in liver and kidney function,
•changes in function of immune system,
•reduced thirst leading to dehydration,
•increased core temperatures,
•can only get rid of heat by sweating, not by convection so increased sweating
•The sweating leads to magnesium deficiency,
•increased iron,
•can't take most medicines orally, only subcutaneously because of the stomach, liver and kidney issues,
•William Rowe has also turned up possible evidence of a risk of sudden heart failure after moderate exercise such as a space walk, due partly to adapatation to zero g conditions.

•Because of all these issues, pregnant women are not permitted in the ISS - it would be unethical to find out what happens to a human fetus in zero g.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

That's cause its flat..........just like the earth!

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join