It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Lunch quality being dialed back by trump administratoin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

As his first major action in office, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said the department will delay the requirement on lowering the amount of sodium in meals while continuing to allow waivers for regulations that all grains on the lunch line must be rich in whole grains. That means that they are more than half whole grain.

Link to article

The actions leaves most of Obama's administration rules in place, such as requiring students to take a vegetable and fruit. The changes here are; keeping higher sodium levels, not requiring whole grains, and school's could serve 1% milk instead of non-fat.

The main arguement is that they think kids won't eat healthier options. By giving kids less healthy options, they will end up eating them instead of tossing them in the trash.

I'm not sure why Sonny Perdue thought it necissary to retract some of Michelle Obama's ideas, but I have a feeling it's because Trump loves to take away anything Obama has done. Good or bad.

School lunches have been pretty bad for a LONG time, and unless you force kids to eat healthier options, they will choose the greasy, fried, salty, and sugary options instead. I remember my lunches being cinnomon sticks, pizza, fried nuggets, bread sticks, or another unhealthy option with a side of fruit or veggies.

Yet, somehow, we are giving in to kid's desires and bad parenting. Somehow, we're allowing kids and parents who feed their kids sugar and fried food, to dictate how healthy lunches should be.

School is all about learning social skills, learning new things, and developing healthy habits for adult life. We force our kids to go to gym class and exercise, yet, somehow we don't force our kids to eat healthy. Nutrition is important to learning and brain funciton. Why are we ignoring that?

If sonny perdue wants to retract some of michelle obama's ideas, then he should be putting his own ideas in place to help push a healthier lunch agenda.

edit on 12-12-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Your first big mistake is relying on the government to feed your kids. As a parent, that's YOUR responsibility.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

Your first big mistake is relying on the government to feed your kids. As a parent, that's YOUR responsibility.

Agreed, but a lot of parents don't pack lunches because they know the school has lunch. That may be naive, but that doesn't give reason to why school lunches should resemble fast food.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It should be up to the school district not federal government. More over reach.

I have seen some of the crap that Michael Obama tried to force down the students throats. I would throw it out too. I can't stand whole wheat crap.

Just because your kids are fat, does not mean mine are. Mine are thin and fit for the most part. They need the extra fat from whole milk, cheese and such. Noting wrong with fried foods on occasion. White bread will not hurt them a bit.

Most of the time my kids choose to pack, as the lunches have become inedible at school.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
They're "dialing back" the lunches to something kids will actually eat. As it is, a huge amount of food is being thrown away because Michelle Obama made them serve stuff the kids won't touch.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You seriously think that school lunches being healthy will force kids to eat healthy at home?
I literally watched tray after tray of fresh vegetables go in the garbage can at my daughters school.

Pop tarts for breakfast....
McDonald's for dinner...

Obama forced my kid to drink skim milk.
Any athlete in high school walks away hungry because of the low calorie lunches.
I would rather a kid eat a hotdogs than to go away still hungry.

And gym class is a joke.
We keep gym but make recess shorter and less frequent. That's typical school logic for you.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Who cares what schools do?

They exist to provide centers for learning.

Don't like the school food offerings?

Fix 'em lunch instead.

Problem?

Solved.

Parents? Take responsibility for your kids. It is not the job of school/government/a damned village to rear your offspring's.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Yea, it pure ruined all those kids who grew up when I did an had choices that didn't taste like total ass. Imagine how amazing we could have been if we had our choices removed and were forced to eat broccoli.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My daughter went to a winter formal last weekend and she told me an interesting story.

She ordered a filet mignon and brussel sprouts..
Her date thought she ordered fish and when she got her plate of sprouts, half of the kids didn't know what they were and the other half went ugh...

That's what the schools are dealing with.

link   
All they need is Freedom Fries and Chicken Foam sammiches on Corn Bread with Soda Pop.

link   

I don't believe the OP made it this way, so why make it about them?

And I agree nutrition is extremely important, maybe we need lunch hour to actually be a nutrition class, and how to prepare and eat healthy.

Not all kids are able to feed themselves, or have the parents that give a squat that they even get fed, at all. Hence government intervention.
edit on 12-12-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
My elementary school didn't even have a cafeteria and I can probably count the amount of times on one hand I used the one at my highschool. My mom always made sure I had food for lunch...when I was old enough to, I had to make it myself. Even if my elementary school had had a cafeteria there would have been no way in hell my mom or dad would have ever just given me money to go buy food from it.

Buying reasonable food for children...or even yourself...really isn't that difficult and is usually cheaper than # food anyway.
edit on 12/12/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

I don't believe the OP made it this way, so why make it about them?

Not all kids are able to feed themselves, or have the parents that give a squat that they even get fed, at all. Hence government intervention.

Then they need better parents. Why should it be the governments responsibility?

Unable to take care of your kids? There are plenty of people looking to adopt.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Kids just won't eat what they don't like. Period. Unless the parent heads down and sits there monitoring their kid, it'll go in the garbage. I happened to love fruits and vegs as a kid because I grew up in an environment where that was the norm and fast food was considered a very, very rare treat because it was too expensive.

These days, the HS kids leave school here where I live and go over to Timmies, McD's or Dairy Queen for lunch. There is no lunch program at the schools. Everything below HS has to pack in a lunch because they are not allowed to leave campus.

Ultimately, it's all about saving money and cutting waste with Trumps changes. Parents need to step up and send lunches with their kids at a standard they're comfy with, can afford, and that their kids will eat. It wouldn't hurt schools to have facilities that allow kids to access a microwave and such either though. Some of the schools here in town have them, but others do not.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Yet, somehow, we are giving in to kid's desires and bad parenting. Somehow, we're allowing kids and parents who feed their kids sugar and fried food, to dictate how healthy lunches should be.

Do you think the state should take a parents rights away and dictate what they may or may not feed their own children? If so, who decides?

The others are right. It's the parents choice and responsibility. If they want a special diet for their kids, they need to provide it themselves and not expect the government to do it.

School is a place to learn. If a parent can't be bothered to provide the food, that's their choice. It does no good to put food on a plate the kids will just throw away, which is what was actually happening.

link   

Not sure how old you are but let's take a trip down memory lane.

I vividly remember my school lunches. It was actually something we looked forward to. Spaghetti day, real spaghetti, garlic bread, and full fat chocolate milk, and a small side salad. We also had pudding or a small cup of ice cream for dessert. The lunch ladies, were actually cooks and not just people that warmed up food. There was a lot of love in those meals. Back then, we ate everything they say is unhealthy now, and we were all skinny, very very skinny. Only one or two kids were heavy in the entire school, and by today's standards they were probably average. What happened?

This "health food" lunch they serve now is pure crap. It doesn't even look edible, I can't imagine what it tastes like.
There is no way on earth I'd let one of my kids eat it.

link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Hence government intervention.

Hence generations of useless, entitled and lazy turds.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Okay..where's the same outrage that republicans gave Michelle Obama for messing with school lunches about this?

Seems some people only see half the picture.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Okay..where's the same outrage that republicans gave Michelle Obama for messing with school lunches about this?

Seems some people only see half the picture.

Well if you read the linked article its says kids are not eating the provided lunches and this is an attempt to get them to eat.

Why would that outrage anyone?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Hahahaha! Did you not see the pictures of Moochelle Obama's school lunches? They were so awful.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join