It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Lunch quality being dialed back by trump administratoin

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: amazing
Okay..where's the same outrage that republicans gave Michelle Obama for messing with school lunches about this?

Seems some people only see half the picture.

Well if you read the linked article its says kids are not eating the provided lunches and this is an attempt to get them to eat.

Why would that outrage anyone?

True although making them less healthy...Michelle Obama's was about making them healthier. I don't really have a problem with my kids eating healthy. If they're hungry they'll eat. Full disclosure, my kids pack lunch every day...never eat school lunches.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Okay..where's the same outrage that republicans gave Michelle Obama for messing with school lunches about this?

Seems some people only see half the picture.

Well, my response is the same. " It's the parents choice and responsibility. If they want a special diet for their kids, they need to provide it themselves and not expect the government to do it."

If the kids throw it away, how does it benefit them exactly? They spent 1.2 billion on food that the kids throw in the trash.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I never had an issue with Michelle's agenda to make school lunches healthier but the way they went about doing it was awful.

Skim milk instead of 2%....
That tastes terrible.

We have athletes leaving the lunch room hungry.
Elementary kids dont eat half the stuff on the tray.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

They're kids. They don't need the vegetable laden cow patties Michelle's putrid plan provided. Who would want their kids growing up malnourished and underfed? They need vegetables, but they need some rib sticking food in their bellies, too.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Some of the stuff I'm reading in this thread is insane. The government should have no business feeding kids, it's the parent's responsibility? When I worked in schools I had students that were literally homeless. Living in cars. By all accounts, their parents were very good, attentive parents, they just couldn't put together enough jobs to afford it, and didn't get enough money on welfare to feed their family 3 meals a day.

The phrase "enough jobs" shouldn't even be a phrase. One job should pay a living wage, let alone having to work 5.

By your logic, screw 'em, let them starve or leave their loving family to get "better" parents? Those parents went to dozens of job interviews every single week, I drove them many times. Just never got callbacks. It's not ALWAYS the parent's fault. They were doing the best they possibly could, and were able to give their families breakfast and dinner. Lunch was provided by the school. Yet some of you want that to go away, because it's on the family to make sure everything about the kid is taken care of? By that logic, better homeschool the kids too, education is funded by the government.

Some of you never think outside of your own little bubbles. It's heartless.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

School lunch never resembled fast food, even when I was in school in the 80's and 90's. Fast food was far better, outside of the sugar cookies.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I never had an issue with Michelle's agenda to make school lunches healthier but the way they went about doing it was awful.

Skim milk instead of 2%....
That tastes terrible.

We have athletes leaving the lunch room hungry.
Elementary kids dont eat half the stuff on the tray.

And I hear you. I just think we baby the kids way to much. Too many snowflakes. If they want a school lunch, then it should be healthy. We shouldn't be offering any junk food anyway.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

It's not ALWAYS the parent's fault.

Yes it is. We are turning into a weak society. I'm so sick of the it's not their fault they are trying.
As my wise old mom would say, they aren't trying hard enough.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
They're "dialing back" the lunches to something kids will actually eat. As it is, a huge amount of food is being thrown away because Michelle Obama made them serve stuff the kids won't touch.

And it was # she wouldn't even eat. She'd dine on a $1,500.00 steak and potato meal. No way in hell I would've eaten the garbage she forced on kids, and no way I would have let my kids eat it. Hell I'd rather them fill up on Nerds and 100 Grands than her crap.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

Your first big mistake is relying on the government to feed your kids. As a parent, that's YOUR responsibility.

I don't believe the OP made it this way, so why make it about them?

And I agree nutrition is extremely important, maybe we need lunch hour to actually be a nutrition class, and how to prepare and eat healthy.

Not all kids are able to feed themselves, or have the parents that give a squat that they even get fed, at all. Hence government intervention.

Meh. I was raised on meat and potatoes and cornbread. And LOTS of junk, anytime I could get my hands on it. If I had a friend that had parents that didn't care if they ate or not, I would have gladly shared my lunch with them. These kids aren't gonna starve or be two tons at graduation.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

School Lunch quality being dialed back by trump administratoin

Quality is subjective

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
My elementary school didn't even have a cafeteria and I can probably count the amount of times on one hand I used the one at my highschool. My mom always made sure I had food for lunch...when I was old enough to, I had to make it myself. Even if my elementary school had had a cafeteria there would have been no way in hell my mom or dad would have ever just given me money to go buy food from it.

Buying reasonable food for children...or even yourself...really isn't that difficult and is usually cheaper than # food anyway.

I always ate lunch at the school cafeteria. And if you wanted extra food in the cafeteria when I was in elementary school, the lunch ladies would have you spell something like caterpillar or encyclopedia. Spell it wrong, you get no extras.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Which reminds me... Going back to the good ol 90's.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

And gym class is a joke. We keep gym but make recess shorter and less frequent. That's typical school logic for you.

So what make a recess better then an organized gym class. Kid's opinion?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: narrator

It's not ALWAYS the parent's fault.

Yes it is. We are turning into a weak society. I'm so sick of the it's not their fault they are trying.
As my wise old mom would say, they aren't trying hard enough.

While I agree that we are becoming a weak society and we need to toughen up, I wholeheartedly disagree with you that it's always the individuals fault. Sometimes, circumstances are out of our hands. Sometimes you can try your hardest to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and still get knocked down every single time.

While it would be great if it were the case, it isn't always as simple as "try harder".

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

And gym class is a joke. We keep gym but make recess shorter and less frequent. That's typical school logic for you.

So what make a recess better then an organized gym class. Kid's opinion?

A gym class is twice a week and recess is every day. Every kid likes to play, not every kid wants to shoot hoops or get nailed with a dodgeball.
Jocks like gym, every other kid is just a target.

Personally I think kids running on the playground blows off some steam and allows them to concentrate better.

I had morning, noon and afternoon recess. My daughter only had one at lunch.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

how can you possibly be upset that Michelle's crappy lunch dictatorship is being fixed? it has nothing to do with destroying anything and everything Obama just for the sake of destroying it. but has everything to do with fixing the problem that she created. seriously if you want kids to eat healthy then you need to do it in such a way that they will actually eat the food. not the Obama half assed approach, of dictating just what they may or may not eat. and to do so you need to massively increase the funds used to do it. first and foremost much more money should have been given just for the staff who prepare the food. and that is because you first off you can not expect the same number of people the same time to prepare healthy meals that it takes to just heat up insta-whatever. to actually make healthy meals takes much longer and requires more people to do it. (PS this is the exact reason WHY instant/pre prepared foods have become the staple diet in the first place, since having both parents working, does not leave the time or energy needed to actually prepare and cook food). i suspect that when you get down to it, most schools don't even have the facilities and equipment to actually cook real meals. which is one reason why the food sucked to the point a fair chunk of it was being thrown out. not to mention training should have been provided, since the simple fact is that so many people quite simply do not even know how to cook anymore. and good luck getting trained cooks, who have spent the time and money going to cooking/chef school to work for minimum wage.

then on top of that using healthy fresh foods to replace all that insta-crap also costs more. seriously take lasagna as an example. you can buy that toss in the oven or microwave version much cheaper than you can make it yourself. not to mention all the time it actually takes to make it yourself. i was shocked at the cost of what i needed to make it myself. no doubt that the home made (and i didn't do things like make the pasta myself, which would take even longer, but would still be healthier) is far better for you. sad fact of life is that food that is healthier also costs more, as well as taking much more time, effort and skill to make.

the fact is that Michelle's autocratic lunch scheme was in the end actually causing kids to eat even MORE junk. because they were starving when they got home. and of course ended up eating even more junkfood to fill themselves up before supper (and that includes kids that actually ate that crap dictated by Michelle's BS).

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Why? We got good food and junk food forever and weren't ever snowflakes or babied. And like another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, most of the kids were still skinny. We were also active back then. Today we have so much technology that most kids lay around all day and play video games. If it wasn't freezing or storming outside when I got home from school and finished my homework, I'd be riding my bike with my best friend - who lived next door - until my mom called me in for supper.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That's how our recesses were. 3 of them. I can remember coming back inside from recess in elementary school hot and thirsty. The next class was Geography (I THINK it was 3rd grade) and I would always open my book to this one certain section that covered Antarctica. One page in particular showed an iceberg and royal blue waters. I could almost cool myself off when staring at that picture because it looked so cold. There may have even been a polar bear on the iceberg, I faintly remember that. That would've been in 1987 so the image is a bit fuzzy.
edit on 12-12-2018 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Strap the kids to a conveyor belt, stuff tubes up their nose, and pump them full of slop.
That's the only way they would ever have gotten me to eat the garbage they served in the cafeteria.
I just ate a good breakfast and waited until I was dismissed from the hell-hole to eat something more food-like.
Public schools are a crime against humanity.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join