It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Lunch quality being dialed back by trump administratoin

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Obama forced my kid to drink skim milk.

hahahaahhah

hilarious

for the record i dont really disagree with you.
dont disagree with a chunk of the OP either

fact is school lunches are not all that fab
never were
never will be
shouldnt be expected

its not slop. maybe not much better in some districts but its not slop

so eat it
or dont

eat the packed lunch
or dont

really that simple for me and i have a 6 year old

we get the menu for the month

i have never seen it but it dont sound all that bad
but she is 6

not going to eat a lot of that #.

so we pack. if she decides she wants to eat their # then she can

im not all that concerned

half the time i never ate lunch. still dont most of the time

work 12 no problem with no food

not saying ideal but its not killing them

i mean if the parents are worried about their kids diet then handle that #

or dont

but i prefer they shut up about it cause i guarantee most kids diet if bigger # than in the old lunches or the new lunches

theyre eating legit garbage every day so save the tears about the school lunch

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

School is all about learning social skills, learning new things, and developing healthy habits for adult life.

Load-O-Crap!

School is about learning skills like maths and reading so that a person can get a job making money! The better the grades you make the more money you make.

If you make really good grades, you don't need stupid social skills because the kids too stupid to make better grades will be left in the dust anyway. You make really good grades and you wont need to waste time on social skills because you will make so much money everyone else will be kissing your butt anyway!

I have never understood WHY the emphasis on social skills. The only social skill you need in a dog eat dog environment is knowing how to keep your mouth shut while watching your back as you try to pull ahead of the pack.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

what dog eat dog environment are we talking about?

social skills are pretty important dude

you know

people and stuff

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

What dog eat dog world am I talking about?

Uh.....we live in a highly competitive free market capitalism system. The object of which is profit and money grubbing. Its all about the money and who wins and loses is measured by how much money a person garners up unto themselves! Nice doesnt put bread on the table.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My sister works for nutrition services in one of the Washington state school districts. When the mandated changes came down from the previous administration the children would not eat most of the food and it went into the garbage.

Many children’s best meal of the day comes from their school lunch, but because of the caloric restrictions kids would leave hungry, these are the kids who needed it the most.

In addition this nutrition services makes their district over one million dollars a year in profit by taking advantage of the federal government subsidies that are offered to the public schools. That makes it a very profitable department to let kids go hungry.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: TinySickTears

What dog eat dog world am I talking about?

Uh.....we live in a highly competitive free market capitalism system. The object of which is profit and money grubbing. Its all about the money and who wins and loses is measured by how much money a person garners up unto themselves! Nice doesnt put bread on the table.

if you say so

i never said nice puts bread on the table

i said you need social skills

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

No one is saying to reduce protein intake......

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Pretty sure trump prefers well fed soldiers to defend the wall over whether bolemic garbage.
edit on 12/12/2018 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

As his first major action in office, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said the department will delay the requirement on lowering the amount of sodium in meals while continuing to allow waivers for regulations that all grains on the lunch line must be rich in whole grains. That means that they are more than half whole grain.

Link to article

The actions leaves most of Obama's administration rules in place, such as requiring students to take a vegetable and fruit. The changes here are; keeping higher sodium levels, not requiring whole grains, and school's could serve 1% milk instead of non-fat.

The main arguement is that they think kids won't eat healthier options. By giving kids less healthy options, they will end up eating them instead of tossing them in the trash.

I'm not sure why Sonny Perdue thought it necissary to retract some of Michelle Obama's ideas, but I have a feeling it's because Trump loves to take away anything Obama has done. Good or bad.

School lunches have been pretty bad for a LONG time, and unless you force kids to eat healthier options, they will choose the greasy, fried, salty, and sugary options instead. I remember my lunches being cinnomon sticks, pizza, fried nuggets, bread sticks, or another unhealthy option with a side of fruit or veggies.

Yet, somehow, we are giving in to kid's desires and bad parenting. Somehow, we're allowing kids and parents who feed their kids sugar and fried food, to dictate how healthy lunches should be.

School is all about learning social skills, learning new things, and developing healthy habits for adult life. We force our kids to go to gym class and exercise, yet, somehow we don't force our kids to eat healthy. Nutrition is important to learning and brain funciton. Why are we ignoring that?

If sonny perdue wants to retract some of michelle obama's ideas, then he should be putting his own ideas in place to help push a healthier lunch agenda.

i'm a school cafeteria manager. i have a culinary degree and i'm working on a degree in nutrition. the human body( the brain in particular) needs salt to function properly. neurons need sodium. of course too much salt is bad for anyone, but stripping all the sodium from foods is unhealthy, too. As for whole grain, foods, the human body isn't efficient at digesting unprocessed, whole grains. i'll post links to studies that examined the impact
whole grain foods have had on adolescent pre-adolecents mental and physical development when i get home from work tonight. frightening stuff. and one other disturbing thing about the National School Lunch program, we get a large portion of our fresh fruits and vegetables from the Department of Defense. The Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Program. We don't even have to order it. they ship it with our regular produce order. and every peice, 1100+ per week at my school, has to be accounted for and documented that it reached it's "target population" ( the DoD's terminology, not mine ) any time the government gives you something free, it ain't bcoz they like or care about you.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MantheDevilsApe

I wonder what would happen to your program should a real, unbiased, nutritionist would say...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

By "learning new things", I meant learning things like math, science, English, ect…. Sure, social skills aren't required for a good job, but they certainly help.

Social skills actually help with many jobs, by learning how to deal with people.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Pretty sure trump prefers well fed soldiers to defend the wall over whether bolemic garbage.

It's more like if kids eat lots of sugar and fried food their brains won't develop properly or healthily so it will create a more subservient society, stupid people are useful they follow orders without questioning them.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Does your education in include which color light bulbs were offensive, which collor should be left out, which tree should be avoided?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's more like if kids eat lots of sugar and fried food their brains won't develop properly or healthily so it will create a more subservient society, stupid people are useful they follow orders without questioning them.

You mean stopping the floodgates of Mexicans from stealing our country...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

No one is saying to reduce protein intake......

but muh kids were forced to drink the skim!!!!!

ahahahahah

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MantheDevilsApe

Well, nothing wrong with quality grains. It's the processed junk that is the problem, including some "whole grains".

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You mean stopping the floodgates of Mexicans from stealing our country...

Nope

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

lol funny song.

There is something to be said about health in America and how we have been conditioned to enjoy eating slop. And it all starts with what you ate as a kid and were conditioned to enjoy.

Dang lunch lady!

link   

lol funny song.

There is something to be said about health in America and how we have been conditioned to enjoy eating slop. And it all starts with what you ate as a kid and were conditioned to enjoy.

Dang lunch lady!

link   

lol funny song.

Dang lunch lady!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join