It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100+ Military Police deployed to Gitmo Bay, for 400days Gitmo about to get more detainees!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It's a US military base on foreign soil. Last I heard that means it's US territory and all US laws apply.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's a US military base on foreign soil. Last I heard that means it's US territory and all US laws apply.

That includes waterboarding then yes?
How about stripping naked and abused?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

While I don't agree with the methods, when did enemy combatants get protection under US law and the constitution? The only rules that apply to them are the Geneva Convention, which many of them have violated at every turn. Torture doesn't get you anywhere, because eventually they tell you anything you want to hear, but they also don't get constitutional protections.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Enemy combatants was an invented term which allowed civilian fighters/rebels/terrorists to be held without a court hearing as they would be if they were held on US soil.
You know as well as I do that Gitmo was created to avoid that tricky problem of law if they were held in the US.
I'm actually shocked anyone is disagreeing with me about that, it was created solely for that reason.
Now, if you agree with Gitmo then that's another debate we'll never find agreement on but at least own it, don't make out it was created on rented foreign land because it happened to cost less or some other lame excuse.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Never mind. Nothing I say will change anything.
edit on 12/3/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Never mind. Nothing I say will change anything.

If you disagree then tell me your thoughts and I am open to change my opinion, but if you walk away I'll just assume my opinion is correct.
When Gitmo was set up it was all over the UK news that it was because inmates could be treated differently than if they were held on US soil.
That has been proven with waterboarding, stripping naked, and abuse...plus no trial rights, no option for a court to decide their fate.
It is shameful in my opinion, creating a foreign base to circumnavigate civilian justice routes and US law if they were held on US soil.
I know you know it but it's difficult to accept because it was immoral.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

There are no "civilian justice routes". These aren't people arrested for stealing a loaf of bread that are going to go on trial. These are people from a war zone, many of whom were captured either during combat, or near a combat operation. Not all of them are guilty, but they weren't arrested and brought back to the US to be put in a regular prison.

I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. Military bases are US territory, and all laws apply. Guantanamo is a US Navy base. It always made sense for a prison because it's easily controllable and if there is an escape they aren't going to be able to walk into the nearest town and disappear, as some Afghan military personnel have done over the years. The only way out is through a minefield and boat.

Enemy combatant is a legitimate term, and is used in the Geneva Convention. No, not all of the people there are, but they aren't innocent women and children either. The prosecution of this war and the treatment of prisoners has been laughable, but neither side has the moral high ground.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Do you deny they would have different legal recourse if they were held on US soil?
That's how the UK media portrays the situation, and has done since Gitmo was even thought of as a holding camp.
The UK holds its 'enemy combatants' in regular prisons with access to layers who don't have to sign 'memorandums of understanding' or whatever it is to see their clients.

We have one 'enemy combatant' who is being held by Kurds I think in Turkey, they want rid of him but the UK has revoked his citizenship so he ain't ever coming back, someone else's problem. (He had dual nationality but I can't remember where the other country is)

If he was brought back to Britain though he would face a trial in a civilian criminal court, not held on the UK base in Cyprus and tortured.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

The UK has different laws than the US does. Even if they were on US soil they wouldn't be held in a regular prison with lawyers and courts. Their status would still be as an enemy combatant, and unless they were US citizens, they wouldn't see a civilian prison unless their status was changed.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Different countries different rules is all.
I'm probably biased so I prefer how Britain deals with terrorists and the like.
For sure the UK waterboards and tortures people, only a fool wouldn't think that, but ultimately they get into to the civilian criminal court system if they are not prisoners of war in the regular soldier sense.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: MteWamp

a reply to: TheJesuit
I'll always think Gitmo is shameful, we will never find agreement.
On-topic, maybe Russians picked off in Ukraine?

Not a problem.

We don't require your approval.

Stings, don't it?
It doesn't sting at all, I just think it is shameful to rent foreign land to host a prison which bypasses US law and the US constitution.
Yes I'll always disapprove it's #ing shameful.

So....Maybe you should air your disapproval and virtuosity to, ummm, Cuba?

Castro. Or at least the Castro family. Yeah... THAT'S the ticket!!!

Holler back and let me know how that works out for you...

I'll be here... You know, hanging out and stuff.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Different countries different rules is all.
I'm probably biased so I prefer how Britain deals with terrorists and the like.
For sure the UK waterboards and tortures people, only a fool wouldn't think that, but ultimately they get into to the civilian criminal court system if they are not prisoners of war in the regular soldier sense.

Biased? Not so much, just naive.

Son, I wish the world worked like that. I really do. Maybe one day, when you are all growed up, you can fix stuff.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

That includes waterboarding then yes?
How about stripping naked and abused?

It's OK, Hoss! I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

As a general rule, they only send people there because they are evil, not stupid.

You're PROBABLY in the clear.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Not a problem.

Stings, don't it?
It doesn't sting at all, I just think it is shameful to rent foreign land to host a prison which bypasses US law and the US constitution.

The U.S. owns that land or at least leases it. Pretty sure they own it.

Either way, I don't see a strongly worded letter from the Cuban Government or one to them would make a difference.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

"Operation Enduring Freedom" - It all depends on who the freedom is for doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

QAnon talked about this months ago. It has all been refitted. IF you dont know whats going on. You soon will.

:-)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor

Not a problem.

Stings, don't it?

The U.S. owns that land or at least leases it. Pretty sure they own it.

Either way, I don't see a strongly worded letter from the Cuban Government or one to them would make a difference.

Well yeah, that was kinda the point.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Four hundred days is just over a year. How drastic could this be?

Do they do this every year? For a year or there abouts?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join